Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enemy AI  (Read 1087 times)

Percy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enemy AI
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

In an effort to make a pacifist fortress, we've been using cage traps to capture ambushers. I made them a very nice pit with beds, smoothed and engraved walls, and food, but they don't seem to appreciate Dwarven handiwork! They also don't seem to get tired or need food.

This makes sense - you can't have attackers falling asleep, or running around looking for food in the middle of an ambush. Still, I was kind of hoping that once they were trapped they would eat, or sleep, or maybe even have thoughts (depending on intelligence) like, "saw ugly Dwarf statue," or "...DWARF STATUE..." (lower int creature).

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy AI
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

seconded
een failing lately?

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

An improved prisoner system would indeed be nice. Slavery could be an option for evil-leaning forts, for example.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Percy:
<STRONG>In an effort to make a pacifist fortress, we've been using cage traps to capture ambushers.</STRONG>

Played Pilliage the Village at all? XD

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Percy:
<STRONG>you can't have attackers falling asleep, or running around looking for food in the middle of an ambush</STRONG>

why not?
all my dwarfs do that

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:25:20 am by penguinofhonor »

Percy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

Hm, good point there.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

Yeah, just about lost a new fort because the military decided to all go to bed when the enemies got near the wall, and the dwarf who was supposed to raise the drawbridge decided he needed lunch first. *sigh*

Back on topic, it'd be neat to have the enemies have a more in-depth AI to what they do. Especially out of combat. It'd be really cool if you could hire those human mercenaries that sometimes show up with them over to your side.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:33:00 pm »

I certainly think that when you capture an intelligent creature (are kobolds intelligent? never checked, but same goes for them) it should become a 'Prisoner'. They could require food and drink to live, have there equipment taken off them and have their thoughts etc viewable.

Oh, and when I say they need to eat and drink, I don't mean that it should be compulsory for you to do this, just that they might die if you don't... maybe a overall toggle "feed prisoners Yes/No" in orders and then specific orders on cages containing prisoners that would over-write the main orders (For example, Feed Prisoners: No" might be the setting for your fort, but on the cage with the goblin king you could activate to feed him, keeping him alive while the others are left to starve.

Also, removing equipment from prisoners should be possible without taking them from the cage (and maybe make it so that you can assign equipment to prisoners in the cage as well? If the is a limit of one prisoner per cage then you could just give a job at the cage to "remove item: etc" or "add item: etc"... This'd certainly make setting up arena fights interesting (a "released prisoner" would still be a prisoner (so you could see thoughts), just Hostile as well)

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

It would also be nice if enemy path finding was more realistic

Right now the goblins map out the fort with ground penetrating radar and use infrared scanners to locate living targets. All squad leaders have a satellite up link to their HQ where telemetry is received and converted into useful coordinates in real time and used with GPS to to find the fastest route to the target.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

Perhaps if these goblins needed food or water we could simply starve them out by rewalling them while they are sleeping (the noise may wake them but it would be cool to get lucky.) But then I would like to see supply wagons of arrows, food, and weaponry. various 'civilian enemies trying to mooch off large fully, built enemy encampments.

Perhaps some trench warfare, sappers, barracks, and siege weaponry. If combined with a good fog of war it could be a real shock to have goblins suddenly burst through the floor of your main courtyard. It could be even more fun to watch them suddenly tunnel into your magma pipe, waterworks, rancor pit, or even hidden fun stuff.

While I am on a roll I may as well suggest some kind of slow, unreliable climbing skill for most appropriate creatures so we don't have 5 foot pits stopping the relentess hordes. However most should fall off and probably die from trying to climb a 50ft cliff unaided.

In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.