Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: desert water  (Read 798 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
desert water
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:21:11 pm »

Lets go ahead and say I did something silly like started a fort in a desert without an aquafier, is there anyway for me to get water?

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: desert water
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:23:48 pm »

You might want to pray to Armok for a rainy season, and collect the water in a cistern asap. However, this requires there to have been water in the first place (even if it evaporated), as well as enough rainfall in the area, and the temperature low enough to not immediately evaporate it.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:08 pm »

However, this requires there to have been water in the first place (even if it evaporated),

To clarify what he said, you need murky pools.  Only murky pool tiles will accumulate water when (and if) it rains.  It will still say "murky pool" at the bottom, when it's dry.

If you have no murky pools, any severe injury is a death sentence.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:47:27 pm »

It's kind of exploity, but if you do have murky pools but the rain doesn't last long enough for you to collect water, then next time it starts to rain, immediately save and quit, go into your init.txt and turn off weather.  When you reload your fortress, it will keep raining forever.  Once you've collected enough water, turn weather back on.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:57:49 pm »

Last I heard if you DO do that, it will keep raining for the rest of the fortress, even if you turn weather back on.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 01:42:09 am »

It's kind of exploity, but if you do have murky pools but the rain doesn't last long enough for you to collect water, then next time it starts to rain, immediately save and quit, go into your init.txt and turn off weather.  When you reload your fortress, it will keep raining forever.  Once you've collected enough water, turn weather back on.

Let us imagine a perfectly square murky pool, a 5x5. If one were to channel out 20 tiles in each direction of the square, and given enough rain, would you eventually get a giant 45x45 body of water? Or a huge awkward muddy hole in the ground?

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:47:37 am »

Only murky pools will accumulate water, you're better off punching a few holes in the bottom of the murky pool and letting the excess water drain into a cistern below

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 01:55:44 am »

Let us imagine a perfectly square murky pool, a 5x5. If one were to channel out 20 tiles in each direction of the square, and given enough rain, would you eventually get a giant 45x45 body of water? Or a huge awkward muddy hole in the ground?
I would assume you get the latter, channeling a single square in the murky pool would be a better idea.

Like so: x=above ground ~=soil or stone M=murky pool square W=the well and hopefully w=the water you collected for your dwarfs.

Code: [Select]
xxxxxx     xxxxxxx
____W~MM MM~~~~~~~
~~~~wwwww~~~~~~~~
:D hmmm that worked out rather good I think
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:46:47 am »

Forcing water diagonally always takes the 'pressure' off it, so when making underwater cisterns that are a level or more below the source make sure that all water that could flood out your well or another opening into your fort has travelled through a diagonal. A useful trick that is always best remembered.

Either way keeping your dwarves from harm and boozed up is the best solution =P