Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tired Abbey - A Dwarven Civilization in Shame  (Read 1072 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
The Tired Abbey - A Dwarven Civilization in Shame
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:23 pm »

Now here is a truly pathetic group of Dwarves.  Most of their sworn enemies are named wild animals.  They spent about 20 years fighting the Elves of The Buck of Comets, and ultimately quit their efforts in 123, when their previous queen Kobuk Praisedpaper got killed by the Elf Idala Vinenapolefe (Idala Stormclans).

But the worst part?  Their new king is an Elf.  And we're not talking an awesome Dwarf-Elf like Cacame Awemedinade.  No, this guy is Nithe Alinomoyo (Nithe Dawnmyth), whose only redeeming feature is that his name is kinda nifty.  Born in 111, Nithe ran away from home at the tender age of 6, and ended up settling down near the Dwarves of The Tired Abbey.  His one claim to fame is that he smashed the third toe on the left foot of the elf Yemeni Ayepamawada (Yemeni Gleefulbeans) when he was 12.  Not long after, he went a-wandering (no doubt exiled for his toe-smashing antics), and the Dwarves made him their king a year later in 124.  And what a surprise, that was the point at which the Elves and Dwarves stopped fighting.  He has no kills whatsoever.  The Elf whose toe he crushed ended up being killed by the Dwarf awesomely named Ustuth Paddlespattered, and remains Mr. Paddlespattered's lone kill.

As if their glorious leader wasn't pathetic enough, he has a wife too: Ile Omulanelo (or Ile Sprinklepasses).  2 years younger than the glorious (ha!) king, whom she married when she was at the tender age of 13, Ile had three different run-ins with Stusto Calledstars the Action of Irons (a local cyclops).  All three times (in 129, 168, and 172), both the cyclops and Ile escaped unscathed.  Mrs. Sprinklepasses should be thankful: this particular cyclops has killed 44 others, most of them Elves.  Eventually Ile decided to just go scouting in 177, and hasn't been heard from since.

So yeah.  Worst.  Dwarves.  Ever.
Sanity is for the weak.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
Re: The Tired Abbey - A Dwarven Civilization in Shame
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:44:26 pm »

Magma them all and let Armok sort it out....
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Catfish, friend of Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 05:45:52 pm »

Burn in magma.

Alternatively...

Construct elaborate rube goldberg device of immense doom spanning the entire fortress to release a drop of magma precisely on his pointed ears; then release the reservoir of water you've got stored up behind his throne room in one go to encase him in obsidian and flood the room making it impassable to anyone. Leave the upper levels open so people can look upon the clear waters and see Nithe, in carbonite looking up in horror to the water surface where the magma fell from, as a warning to all elves.

Bonus points: Put the trade depot on a glass floor above that scene.
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

The catfish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:21:41 pm »

Too glorious a death for too pathetic a civ.

Also I was under the impression that this was a worldgen civ, not a fortress built that happened to be exceptionally pathetic.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:25:21 pm »

Yeah, I probably should have posted it elsewhere.  I happened to notice Elf King listed as the leader of the civ of a fort I'd just started, so I abandoned and checked Legends.  Oh, and he's not king any more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sanity is for the weak.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 06:28:01 pm »

lol :)

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 06:44:59 pm »

Lol
Urist mchunter: yer so I killed like... 12 warthogs and 8 horses...how about you?
Elf: Well I once...umm smashed someones third toe...
Urist mchunter: Oh...em...ge...You should be a king or something.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:53:09 pm »

Yea, some civs are content to not expand beyond one fort and oftentimes don't have an all that exciting history.

Occasionally there will be a king that comes along who was a warrior or a great hunter (I saw one king who had been a good hunter for a while).

Sounds like leaders will seem more interesting and stuff in the next release.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:45:39 am »

Yeah!  Imagine Cacame riding into battle atop a Giant Jaguar!  He uses his Steel Warhammer to strike down elves and avenge his wife's death.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

Yeah, I probably should have posted it elsewhere.  I happened to notice Elf King listed as the leader of the civ of a fort I'd just started, so I abandoned and checked Legends.  Oh, and he's not king any more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was so win. I applaud you.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 12:54:27 pm »

Hey, he was an Elf.  If I killed him with anything more powerful than a handful of sand, it would've been overkill.
Sanity is for the weak.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 01:59:16 pm »

Talk about taking matters into your own hands!