Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old age  (Read 1757 times)

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old age
« on: March 25, 2008, 05:34:00 am »

So we have toddlers, kids and adults, why no senior citizen and elders?

Humans will start to get old at 60. Dwarves at 120, etc. I think this can be placed at creature_standard.txt.

Old's abilities:
-Attributes progress stops. And slow regress starts, especially agility. With possibility to become less than normal. (something like: Weak, Unagile etc.)
-Don't breed.
-Slower wound recovery.
-Gets tired faster.
-Small chance of heart attack in some situations(pain, suddently attacked, fights megabeast, too much tired, etc.) increasing with age.
-Oldest guy in town becomes willage elder and has some special quests/info in adv. mode.
-... any your ideas.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old age
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:41:00 am »

Applying this to your adventurers would be fun in a way. You would start off in your peak, then slowly you would have to use raw talent in place of your once sturdy arms.    :(

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

Good suggestion. I think you should be able to know the age of your dwarves in fortress mode too, and a idea of the age of people in the adventure mode.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:54:00 am »

On the other hand, no-one in adventure mode will ever live long enough to make a difference to their youth anyhow.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

Well, not until the game morphs both modes into one and allowes smartpause-realitme control over the character.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

I was going to say that I didn't think this would be relevant for fortresses, given that the longest-running ones make it to year 30 or so...but then, I realized - you could have entire families migrating in. Dwarf with skills, their peasant spouse, kid, pet giraffe, and grandpa, who's a bit slower than usual but has more experience (so better base skills).

Another idea would be that elderly dwarves could act as lorekeepers, telling stories to other dwarves (creating happy thoughts, possibly dependent on the storyteller's social skills), inspiring better artistic endeavours, and generally acting like bards.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 11:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>I was going to say that I didn't think this would be relevant for fortresses, given that the longest-running ones make it to year 30 or so...but then, I realized - you could have entire families migrating in. Dwarf with skills, their peasant spouse, kid, pet giraffe, and grandpa, who's a bit slower than usual but has more experience (so better base skills). </STRONG>
I like this.  I hate the fact that migrants NEVER come in with a base skill higher than 'normal'.  Maybe you could have three or four tiers:
1) Babies and children.
2) Young adults.  12-30 yrs. and skills like now.
3) Mature adults.  30-80 (or 90) yrs. and with high skills.  Maybe proficient in something?
4) Older generation.  80+.  Very high skills, with chance of being Legendary in something.

I realize that half the fun is training up your legendaries, so the last bit should be rare, but how else are you going to get a legendary trapper?   :D

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

I always figured the highly skilled dwarves stayed in their own mountainhomes because they had jobs and nice rooms and could buy whatever they wanted from the shops.

The migrants were the poor soap and cheese makers who don't have a room and can't afford anything so they moved out looking for a better fort (not that I ever make a fort that needs soap makers). This explains why they are always not very skilled.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

So therefore it'd be rare to have old immigrants to your fortress. But possible if you have enough wealth and a few artifacts.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

A good suggestion i second this.

@ Lyrax
I had once a Legendary Miner as Migrant with a nice little Message.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

I don't think that migrants should ever be more than slightly above the "normal" ranking in skills; as stated, anyone doing better would be able to make their own living in one of the established mountainhomes. Elderly dwarves following their families around is more for flavor and storytelling than anything else, really; even if they're proficient at something, you're unlikely to make much use of their base skill.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Heph:
<STRONG>A good suggestion i second this.

@ Lyrax
I had once a Legendary Miner as Migrant with a nice little Message.</STRONG>

Really? I have never heard of anything like this happening. Was your fortress old or wealthy? Large ammount of mining jobs?

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

It should be possible to attract skilled and/or old migrants, but only when your fortress is very advanced, or if the migrants left their homes because of a negative change in their local situation, like a losing war or a plague or something like that.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Heph:
<STRONG>
@ Lyrax
I had once a Legendary Miner as Migrant with a nice little Message.</STRONG>

I'd like to believe this. Too bad I can't.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

I'd like to believe this. Too bad I can't.</STRONG>

I think it is the Miner's guild thing that got removed when the first 3D version came...

Pages: [1] 2