Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Attack of the SKELETAL DRAGON!  (Read 1868 times)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attack of the SKELETAL DRAGON!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:51:44 pm »

Couldn't you just use an animal trap in a hallway, then let it in and stick it in an animal stockpile for all eternity? That's what keeps ending up happening to bronze colossuses in my games.

And you needent get snitty, magma solves many problems, and maybe it doesn't exist everywhere, but perhaps it should. ;)
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 02:29:10 pm »

Eventaully if we want magma won't we just be able to keep digging till we hit it?  I mean that's what dwarves are for right?  Sure it should be pressurized and basically kill whoever finds it... but it still down there... eventually

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 02:32:07 pm »

Couldn't you just use an animal trap in a hallway, then let it in and stick it in an animal stockpile for all eternity? That's what keeps ending up happening to bronze colossuses in my games.

And you needent get snitty, magma solves many problems, and maybe it doesn't exist everywhere, but perhaps it should. ;)

Repace animal trap with cage traps and you're good to go, I would quite fancy having a giant, skeletal TAMEBALE(unless it killed a dwarf) dragon, but really, cage traps are the best "weapon" in the game, they will capture anything, just out them at a corner and make sure dwarves can't get in range of the dragon's fore breath...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 03:57:22 pm »

If it picks a place and stays there, tunnel under it with a Legendary miner.

Dig a Ramp, then remove said ramp the nanosecond it completes. This will allow you to make channels from below. With this it may be possible to wall the beast in with channels.

After that, just drop the whole damn hill with a cave-in. Problem solved.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 04:00:48 pm »

Repace animal trap with cage traps and you're good to go, I would quite fancy having a giant, skeletal TAMEBALE(unless it killed a dwarf) dragon, but really, cage traps are the best "weapon" in the game, they will capture anything, just out them at a corner and make sure dwarves can't get in range of the dragon's fore breath...

I'm pretty sure undead creatures cannot be tamed.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 04:57:05 pm »

The traps will eventually kill it. But that is so unbelievably anticlimactic that I wouldn't let my fortress get saved by that. I'd rather go down fighting and reclaim, but that's just me.
You might be able to create a complex network of tunnels on the entire map to get to the surface (for migrants, merchants, raiding...) but that's at your own risk.

These together suggest the idea of digging a pit under the dragon and collapsing it down 15 z-levels.

Eventaully if we want magma won't we just be able to keep digging till we hit it?  I mean that's what dwarves are for right?  Sure it should be pressurized and basically kill whoever finds it... but it still down there... eventually

Not until the next version.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »

Yeah, cage traps are what I meant.

I'm pretty sure undead creatures cannot be tamed.

Also correct, for I HAVE TRIED!

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 06:48:28 pm »

Or I can just open the gates, hide my dorfs inside, and let the dragon waltz right into the stone-fall traps I set up. I did exactly that, it took about 6 traps to kill him.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 06:50:25 pm »

But then you don't get a skeletal dragon in a box to admire for all time. :(

Pages: 1 [2]