Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Attack of the SKELETAL DRAGON!  (Read 1872 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Attack of the SKELETAL DRAGON!
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:44:18 am »

Well, it happened again, somehow. A megabeast attacked my fortress, much like the attack of the Hydra at my old Fortress Mooncrystals. Just to make sure nothing weird was going on, I checked the wounds on the Dragon to see if they lost anything during worldgen. Turns out they're body is completely empty.

Their external body parts are intact, but they are missing everything else. Eyes, throat, brain, guts, heart, lungs, and vital organs. What the hell?! How did it manage to even get to my fortress in the first place!?

EDIT: ahem, lemme rephrase my concern. *Takes a deep breath*

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!

That's no Ordinary dragon! That's a SKELETAL DRAGON!!!!

When I embarked, I noticed a Haunted biome nearby, but I didn't think it would actually do this. Who would have thought?! Dammit, I'm so not prepared to handle this yet! I've been focusing on the megastructure on the lake! That's it, I'm walling in my entrance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:58:35 am by Lost Requiem »
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No guts no glory
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:46:15 am »

wow... maybe ... uh... maybe it is a zombie?

or a skeleton?

it seems odd that it didn't die during world gen.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No guts no glory
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:48:20 am »

I don't see the problem. That's how skeletons work.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Attack of the SKELETAL DRAGON!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:12:31 am »

THen maybe you don't understand. Lemme elaborate.

Skeletons don't feel pain, don't need to breathe, and normal undead can be a problem for trained soldiers.

This is an undead Megabeast that can breathe fire, destroy buildings, doesn't feel pain, and my fortress has NO TRAINED SOLDIERS. I was concentrating more on the megastructure. It was never meant for warfare, especially since everything has been quiet so far.
Quest Complete! 41/31

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:28:47 am »

you realise you're screwed right? :D
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:05:30 am »

Ok this problem is simple and easy to handle.

A) First, chain the war dogs out front to attack. If no war dogs or they fail to 'kill' it goto B

B)Chain all the animals near the front door. If fail goto C

C) Cage Traps lots of them.  If unwilling or no cages goto D.

D) Recruit everybody and dogpile on the dragon.  Make sure the miners are there. If fail goto E

E) Reclaim
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:22 am »

my goodness. can you post the map seed? i would not mind checking this creature out. ive never encountered any undead except for hoary marmots, goats and the like, despite a lot of trying.

are dragons made only of bone magma proof? im guessing marksdwarves are going to be useless, as are guys with spears.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 09:41:00 am »

Hammers and maces are the best for dealing with skeletal creatures, axes a close second, but don't bother with swords or spears. Swords are effective if they slash, but otherwise, piercing attacks are useless against the undead.
!!&!!

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:46:52 am »

Trap it in a room. Fill the room with magma, add water. That should work, right?
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:36:30 am »

According to my legends screen, my living megabeasts include two skeletal dragons and a skeletal hydra. They've yet to attack, though.

I'd post the worldgen parameters and seeds but I have enough minor edits all along my raws that I doubt anyone would gen the exact same world. It's like 90% evil, though.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:06:42 am »

A) First, chain the war dogs out front to attack. If no war dogs or they fail to 'kill' it goto B

D) Recruit everybody and dogpile on the dragon.  Make sure the miners are there. If fail goto E

E) Reclaim

Unless you fancy having a bunch of burning animals running screaming around their chains like Catherine Wheels, you might want to give plans A and B a miss.
If you can stay alive in your fortress for a while, you should probably be able to raise some Champions, armed with blunt weapons, good armour and shields. If you can synchronise an attack with when the human or Dwarvern caravan arrives, you ought to be able to take it to pieces. Dogs are unlikely to be more than burning distractions, since they only do gore damage and therefore won't damage the skeleton unless they pull its head to pieces.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:01 am »

E) Reclaim

Unless you fancy having a bunch of burning animals running screaming around their chains like Catherine Wheels, you might want to give plans A and B a miss.
If you can stay alive in your fortress for a while, you should probably be able to raise some Champions, armed with blunt weapons, good armour and shields. If you can synchronise an attack with when the human or Dwarvern caravan arrives, you ought to be able to take it to pieces. Dogs are unlikely to be more than burning distractions, since they only do gore damage and therefore won't damage the skeleton unless they pull its head to pieces.

Finally a more reasonable voice. Unfortunately, the human caravan left right before the attack, save for one merchant and an axeman, and they met their end outside my front gate at the dragon's fire breath. Neither of them dealt a scratch to the dragon.

Trap it in a room. Fill the room with magma, add water. That should work, right?

Everyone stop suggesting Magma. It doesn't exist in every corner of the world.

Hammers and maces are the best for dealing with skeletal creatures, axes a close second, but don't bother with swords or spears. Swords are effective if they slash, but otherwise, piercing attacks are useless against the undead.

I already know that. I am trying to figure out how to make hammers and maces, along with armor and shields without any metal. for some reason, this area doesn't have any metal ores that will allow me to smith metal, and I would know. I'm mining the region clean of all rocks for the megastructure on the lake. I have to end up buying all my metal from outside the region, then melt anything useless.

THe best thing I can use is simply stone-fall traps and make a long corridor of them, and hope to god that kills the dragon.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 12:05:22 pm »

The traps will eventually kill it. But that is so unbelievably anticlimactic that I wouldn't let my fortress get saved by that. I'd rather go down fighting and reclaim, but that's just me.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 12:28:51 pm »

Same here, but my primary concern is the megastructure. I will not abandon until it's completed, and I will not let any undead megabeast or a Draconian Hammerer get in my way.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 01:49:52 pm »

Then you're on a biodome scenario : seal the entrance and prepare your counterstrike from the inside of the fortress.

You might be able to create a complex network of tunnels on the entire map to get to the surface (for migrants, merchants, raiding...) but that's at your own risk.
Pages: [1] 2