Advanced search  

Author Topic: ANTS!  (Read 1045 times)

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Catfish, friend of Carp
    • View Profile
ANTS!
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:29:05 am »

THEM! ANTS! That's all the dwarves really are, and I mean it in a good way.
I'd call that a successful Fortress
What's the FPS here?

In the first video it shows the expanse of the ant chambers and I must say it reminded me of a fortress. Underground. Tunnels and ramps connecting everything. Once complete can only be totally overcome by filling with a liquid (Concrete Magma BOTH) that turns to stone (ish) when it hardens. Annoying Nobles. Access shafts to the surface. Wouldn't you agree?

Also in the second video that's 3 days worth of ants in almost 5 minutes. What's a rough FPS of that?

In the future of the fortress could there emerge an ant mode where you gen the world, choose a site and leave the dwarves to it, they dig out all the structures, plan the roads, defences etc. What are your view on the anty-dwarfs.
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

The catfish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
Re: ANTS!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:45:16 am »

I don't see any overly-complicated death traps or Magma...

But I do see alot of legendary wrestlers sitting around doing nothing until an enemy presents itself...

Also, That video has made me want to go out and watch the rest of it...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:10 am »

Looks like a fort that someone got bored with and decided to obsidian cast the interior.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:56:20 am »

Certainly the looting behavior of my fortresses reminds me of ants.  They keep the surrounding area clean of anything that might possibly be useful in the future, even dead vermin for which no one has any use at the moment.  Of course, that's because of my settings, but who's counting?   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:07:34 pm »

Urist McAnt cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Dangerous Terrain.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:52:42 pm »

Urist McStockpiler Cancels return to stockpile: Stockpile Cemented

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »

When I was recovering my project from the bloody end, recovering all sorts of lost items, and building proper defenses and such reminded me of an ant-like behavior. The most recent modifications done further confirm this. Now I got proper stockpiles how ants would have it (I think).

One of my last forts also operated much like a colony would. Very linear, with much symmetry; main focus being the dining hall (my original project goal for the fort; to create a legendary dining room. Goal was accomplished with neighboring watering holes (with a functional sewer system to further make it operational)). Heck, the place even had towers coming from the ground providing both ventilation and defense. I shaped them like mushrooms more like.

It was one of my more successful forts, sans magma.

EDIT:
After watching ANTS! I'm now going to have a refuse ground with a vent to the surface. Now we'll have a proper ventilation system.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:27:11 pm by Itnetlolor »

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 02:14:48 pm »

My refuse piles eventually get a surface vent.  That way no miasma.  I just have to make sure that bones and such get taken to different refuse pile. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 02:27:57 pm »

My refuse piles eventually get a surface vent.  That way no miasma.  I just have to make sure that bones and such get taken to different refuse pile. 
I always have one small one sealed off with a surface vent set to accept everything but bones, shells, and skulls and then a massive one with all my others set to accept only bones shells and skulls and to take from the sealed one. Works beautifully.