Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running Dwarf Companion  (Read 2214 times)

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Running Dwarf Companion
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:22:53 am »

I'm trying to get Dwarf Companion to work (As I am a notorious cheater), but it won't start up.

I downloaded Python 2.6.4 for Windows, gtk-2.10.11-win32-1.exe, and rebooted my computer. When I try and run dfcompanion_prototype.exe, and all that happens is a command prompt opens and closes instantly. I can read it really fast, and see at the end it says 'can't guess offsets if not PE'. Anyway to get it to work?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Running Dwarf Companion
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:17:39 pm »

Wasn't there a couple other things you needed to download?
*read wiki page*
Alright, you need PyCairo, PyGObject, and PyGTK. You can get them from here. :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:56:19 pm »

Are you running the right version of Dwarf Companion?  When DF version 40d16 came out it broke Dwarf Companion.  Make sure you've got the latest version of the DC code.  I'm not sure if the self-packaged executable works with 40d16.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 05:07:18 pm »

Im using python 2.6.4 though, I shouldn't need the other downloads. It says you only need it for python 2.4
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:02:28 pm »

Im using python 2.6.4 though, I shouldn't need the other downloads. It says you only need it for python 2.4
Yeah, well, wherever it says that is dead wrong.
You need them.  Period.
Unless you're using the self-contained executable.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:29:17 am »

I have a similar issue. I have all the other things installed (GTK, PYCairo, etc.), and when I click it, it simply opens a black window for a moment and closes. So I tried to run it through the command prompt, and it comes up with the following error:

Code: [Select]
C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress>dfcompanion_prototype.py
Timestamp = 0x48c330df
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress\dfcompanion_prototype.py", line 409, in <module>

DFcmp = DFcompanion()
File "C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress\dfcompanion_prototype.py", line 353, in __init__

self.dd = dwarfdbg(verbose=True)
File "C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress\dwarfdbg.py", line 131, in __init__
self.configoffsets()
File "C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress\dwarfdbg.py", line 89, in configoffsets
raise "can't guess offsets if not PE"
TypeError: exceptions must be classes or instances, not str

What does this mean? How do I fix it? Did I do something stupid and obvious to mess it up?

Edit: Just tried it with the self-packaged executable version, too. Similar error message:

Code: [Select]
C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Downloads\dist>dfcompanion_prototype.exe
Timestamp = 0x48c330df
C:\Documents and Settings\****\My Documents\Downloads\dist\library.zip\dwarfdbg.py:98: DeprecationWarning: raising a string exception is deprecated
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dfcompanion_prototype.py", line 409, in <module>
File "dfcompanion_prototype.py", line 353, in __init__
File "dwarfdbg.pyc", line 131, in __init__
File "dwarfdbg.pyc", line 89, in configoffsets
can't guess offsets if not PE

Again, wtf. Haha.  :-\

Oh, and I had DF running both times.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:38:18 am by Pwnzerfaust »
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 05:37:41 am »

Double post, sorry.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Quixote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 04:56:49 am »

I too, am having this issue.  Is it being addressed? does  Bartavelle know of it?

Quixote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 01:43:16 am »

Resolve by using the correct version. I used v16 of the exe and that worked fine.