Yes
- 47 (51.6%)
No
- 28 (30.8%)
Sometimes
- 16 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How many people use an orc mod?  (Read 2637 times)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
Re: How many people use an orc mod?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 02:01:54 pm »

I got tired of a single champion destroying a siege, so I start with orcs and mod them higher as the fort progresses.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 02:28:13 pm »

I've used orcs ever since my goblins could no longer stand up against drafted immigrant dyers and milkers. I used to just use the Orc Mod orcs, but got rid of those and replaced it with Dig-Deeper, because it added a lot to the game, including orcs. I've upgraded them a little bit, and soon I'll start upgrading gobbos because they are becoming a bit more frequent.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 04:56:56 pm »

I use orcs. Every time it gets to the point where a couple champions can handle the siege I add a tougher civ, currently at terrifying goblins.

Which orcs are stronger? The ones from Orc Mod or Dig Deeper?

Dig Deeper orcs are stronger, but Orc Mod orcs sometimes arrive on creatures like Wolf Spiders. Dig Deeper orcs have a stronger melee attack and use crucible steel weapons. Orc Mod doesn't give the player a lot of the new metals like Dig Deeper, but you rarely strike mithril before the first orc siege, and after two or three I had champions in iron taking down whole squads.

They are WAY stronger. The only way that I've been able to diffuse orc sieges in dig deeper is by enclosing myself or trapping the orcs between retraced bridges and bringing out the marksdwarfs. It takes a long time to kill them all, even with iron arrows.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 04:59:46 pm »

Could anyone post the creature definition for the dig deeper orcs?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 05:14:15 pm »

Dig Deeper orcs are stronger, but Orc Mod orcs sometimes arrive on creatures like Wolf Spiders.

Sigh. I have 45 Wolf Spiders attacking my fort right now. The problem isn't their strength so much as 45 creatures shooting massive clusters of web at once. My dwarves can't even get close to them. I'm not really sure how this siege would be winnable even without orcs riding on them... my whole military being stuck in webs is too much for me :|

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 05:16:22 pm »

I generally use Civ Forge Unleashed and add the Orc mod, but for SGIX I reversed goblins and orcs. Now orcs are babysnatchers, and goblins swarm early. I'ts an order of magnitude better.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 05:29:22 pm »

Dig Deeper orcs are stronger, but Orc Mod orcs sometimes arrive on creatures like Wolf Spiders.

Sigh. I have 45 Wolf Spiders attacking my fort right now. The problem isn't their strength so much as 45 creatures shooting massive clusters of web at once. My dwarves can't even get close to them. I'm not really sure how this siege would be winnable even without orcs riding on them... my whole military being stuck in webs is too much for me :|

Don't forget the possibility of elephants. Each requires a different defensive setup. In the case of the wolf spiders, eliminating line-of-sight at ground level while providing elevated ranged positions is key. Elephants require moats. Lots of moats...

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 05:56:51 pm »

Yes, I use my own unpublished mod, it has orcs as well as many other dangerous things :)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 06:02:44 pm »

I switch between dig deeper and orc mod, but I always play with one of those because at some point goblins really are just another iron ore and then the challenge is gone from the game.  Orcs can get insanely hard but thats what magma and crossbows are for. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 06:42:37 pm »

Not only do I not use Orc mods, I usually turn off invaders entirely.  Then again, I prefer to build impractical megafortresses that require every Dwarf I can spare working on them, so it's not that shocking.  I'm more of an architect than I am a military-minded sort.  Also, if I want to see massive amounts of death and destruction, I can enjoy that any time by walling off a meeting area next to a magma pipe and digging into the obsidian wall.
Sanity is for the weak.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that what you wanted?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 06:48:47 pm »

I use Orcs, but turn off Trap Avoid and No Pain, since I don't use Traps except to keep Goblin Thieves out, and like to keep my Fortresses small.  Good Challenge.

I also mod Goblins to not wear any of their crappy garbage, so they only drop their wondrous Giant Cave Spider Silk garments, and Iron.  They're also larger, and have better Dam-Block.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 10:32:46 pm »

I used to use the Orc Mod orcs, but I got sick of the orcs destroying base after base before I could do anything cool with them.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 12:04:54 am »

Is that what you wanted?

Yes. Here are the Orc mod orcs:

Dig deeper has LOCKPICKER, BONECARN. Damage primary is 1:6, secondary 1:3. Size 8, Damblock 2. Speed 850.

Orc mod has WEBIMMUNE. Damage primary is 4:8, secondary 4:8. Size 8, Damblock 4. Speed 800.

Looks like the orc mod orcs are more difficult. Higher damage, higher damblock, slightly higher speed, plus webimmune (as nearly impossible that is to use offensively by dwarves). On the downside, they don't have lockpicker.

Am I missing anything?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:08 pm »

I think you covered just about all the differences...
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.
Pages: 1 [2] 3