Yes
- 47 (51.6%)
No
- 28 (30.8%)
Sometimes
- 16 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How many people use an orc mod?  (Read 2641 times)

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many people use an orc mod?
« on: January 04, 2010, 05:46:14 am »

I notice people on the forums talking about orc attacks frequently. I'm wondering how wide spread its usage is; whether I just noticed many posts by the few people who have orcs or if most people use an orc mod.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many people use an orc mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 06:19:49 am »

I vary it up, but yeah. Currently, I don't have one on account of moving between computers, though.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:29:11 am »

I use Dig Deeper, which comes with Orcs.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:07:04 am »

There should be an occasionally in the polls. I don't all the time, but i do if i want to like, have FUN
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:45:27 am »

There should be an occasionally in the polls. I don't all the time, but i do if i want to like, have FUN

Good point. I added a "Sometimes" option.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:53:25 am »

I think the only reason it's so popular is because it's an attempt to add difficulty to a game which currently lacks it.

That being said, I prefer the game deviating from typical Tolkien-inspired cruft rather than converging on it, so if I were to mod in some kind of super-goblin I'd just make something up that's actually interesting instead.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 08:02:02 am »

Someone did that with Raptors. The results were... messy.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 08:04:31 am »

I would use it ... if I could figure out how to add orcs without breaking everything else *g*.

Bascially I download complete DF packages (i.e. mike mayday redist) and then despair because I can't even repair the key assignation that seem to change for every release...
... so while I'd like to try playing as Kobolds, or against Orcs, I've been too lazy to try to get either to work with the Mayday graphics and my preferred keyboard setup ...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:15:38 am »

I played for a year without adding any new civs, then tried the Orcs mod.  I liked it well enough that I then added some more civs from Civilization Forge.  One nice feature about orcs is that they drop steel instead of iron.  They also have trapavoid so it will jar you loose from your old habits if you tended to rely on large numbers of traps for an impregnable defense.

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:14:54 am »

I think the only reason it's so popular is because it's an attempt to add difficulty to a game which currently lacks it.

That being said, I prefer the game deviating from typical Tolkien-inspired cruft rather than converging on it, so if I were to mod in some kind of super-goblin I'd just make something up that's actually interesting instead.
Well aren't you just a precious snowflake.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 12:07:18 pm »

I like the extra challenge.

For the longest time I was getting bored with goblins.
If they had bows they were overpowered, if they didn't a small child with a pointy stick could knock them over.

I played my first fortress with the dig deeper mod and a single orc got into my fortress, body parts and blood littered the fortress as my dwarves swarmed it. A second one got in and that was it for that fortress.

And suddenly I had to actually try at the game.
I found myself training up 8 dwarves for my military and setting up a moat and battlements from which to fire down at my enemies.

Of course after a while those 8 dwarves were powerful enough that any one of them could rip an entire orc siege apart single-handed.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:27:02 pm »

people use an orc mod.

Yes. Dig Deeper. I would not be playing Dwarf Fortress anymore if it weren't for this mod.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 12:27:56 pm »

I use orcs. Every time it gets to the point where a couple champions can handle the siege I add a tougher civ, currently at terrifying goblins.

Which orcs are stronger? The ones from Orc Mod or Dig Deeper?
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 12:57:29 pm »

Other than the challenge fortresses (which have specific rules) I always use orcs and when I have gobbos I upgrade them. Will probably upgrade Kobolds in the future as well.

They're well balanced for the early game, but not for a mature fortress, and mine always run long under champions. In the future I'll probably double the size and damblock of orcs and quadruple their damage, and do about a little less for gobbos due to them being ambushers.

That makes the early game really damn hard, but that's easy enough to deal with. Gone will be the days of  caravan guards holding off a gobbo ambush, though, or probably even legendary +5 miners, but that's appropriate. We'll see what the new version of DF does for game balance, however.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 01:01:59 pm »

I use orcs. Every time it gets to the point where a couple champions can handle the siege I add a tougher civ, currently at terrifying goblins.

Which orcs are stronger? The ones from Orc Mod or Dig Deeper?

Dig Deeper orcs are stronger, but Orc Mod orcs sometimes arrive on creatures like Wolf Spiders. Dig Deeper orcs have a stronger melee attack and use crucible steel weapons. Orc Mod doesn't give the player a lot of the new metals like Dig Deeper, but you rarely strike mithril before the first orc siege, and after two or three I had champions in iron taking down whole squads.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: [1] 2 3