Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Songkest: Scourgemarsh [A gnollish community fortress] NEED MORE PEOPLE!  (Read 4246 times)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile

Kalri Remutusnung, a gnoll who is sitting outside the War-chief's hut, crossbow in hand, waiting for her orders, as the war-chief comes out, and looks at her.

"kalri, i need you to take six others, and go far north... i have plans for expansion up north, but we will need a fortress that will serve as a place of strength for us... you pick the most defensible area, or the best area you can find, and build the way you want... we have managed to steal the secrets of glass metal tempering, as you know, and it may be of use to you... we will send others as time goes... but just take six and a small quick wagon...travel silently."

All through this, Kalri was standing there nodding, her gnollish face twisting into a grin, before she barks out in response, "it will be done!" and then she sets off to gather resources and a pack... this would be a long and hard task, but she was up for it.

---------------------

Okay, i'm starting up a community fortress, and i need some people to sign up. this is my first real attempt at maintaining such a thread.

I use standard ASCII, and will try to post screenshots, but no promises.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7783-scourgemarsh This is the map archive. i will be posting more later on.

I run with a few mods:
My own made Glassmetal mod
my own made Kutari mod, a desert-dwelling race
a Modified gnoll race, by someone else, i can not remember who.
A modified orc mod, the one by rysith
and a few other small mods, like plants and such.

the embark location has a brook, swamp, temperate i am certain, and a magma pipe. Access to all civs as well.

current listing of claimed Gnolls

Kalri,female, Pack Leader: Myself
Bean, male, Miner : Beanchubbs
Spoku, female, Glassmaker : Metal Militia
Stoslo, female, Trader : Omegastick
Killer9, Male, Woodworker, :100killer9

Unclaimed Gnolls:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:06:22 am by Rivesand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Re: Songkest: Scourgemarsh [A gnollish fortress]
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:23:15 am »

I'll be watching this...
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Songkest: Scourgemarsh [A gnollish fortress]
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:04:48 pm »

Kalri soon gathers her six pack members, and the equipment, an anvil made of specially tempered glassmetal, lighter than iron, plenty of foods, fish mostly, and seeds, human slave leather, some rope, and a fair amount of logs and tools.

Her pack consists of:
a Miner, male [taken]
male and female woodcutters
a female glassmaker [taken]
a female farmer, with many skills,
and a female trader who is also a novice butcher and tailor.

Soon they are on their way north, hiding in the day, riding at night,silentas can be, with ten dogs following the small wagon.

-----------------

Okay, i need people to take the names of the six others, i'm turning this into a community fortress afterall.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:26:40 am by Rivesand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Songkest: Scourgemarsh [A gnollish community fortress]
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:11:25 pm »

Aren't gnolls from KoL?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:52:46 pm »

I'll take the miner, name him Bean
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:55:58 pm »

Aren't gnolls from KoL?

Uhhhh, no?  And aren't they called knolls in KoL?

They're from WotC.  Originally they were some unholy cross between gnomes and trolls, but that concept got thrown completely out the window.  IIRC, they were gnome-trolls in the very first D&D, and changed into cuddly hyenaguys by AD&D.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:11:23 am »

Correct, Gnolls are, (in my mind) hyena-men. that is how i will be playing them.

For a bit of clarification of what the gnoll mod has for it, is that they are, in my world, omnivores, and don't need booze. but they get a bit of a happy thought from the stuff, at least as far as i've seen.

I will get to work on the posting after my jaw quits hurting... ow... i wish i had the [no_pain] tag right now...

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 05:21:03 am »

I'll take the glassmaker

Name that is given in game will do.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 05:23:56 am »

you got it metal

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 05:37:56 am »

Thank you ^_^

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:10:22 am »

Kalri looks over the edge of the hill... feeling the warmth of the ground under her paws, looking at the brook, with a smile.. the ground was soft, and the forest thick, but this place would be good... a Fortress standing from the hillside, and dug out as well,extending upwards to the heavens,and downwards to the riches beneath. She had packed the wagon with enough supplies to set up a small operation to start with...

She offers a silent prayer to Ost Dusttomb, the god of death, that she and her pack would be spared from his touch.

After she finishes with the prayer she looks to the others, barking out the first orders, as she starts to set up a shop to make some crude bolts, "Alright, i want the immediate area cleared of trees and then dug into... from there... to here! Ten chal deep!" she indicated to Bean an the two woodcutters.
They had sadly lost an axe along the way though, fell off the back silently one night.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 06:24:55 am »

Kalri watches on, after making her bolts, keeping a watchful eye on the surroundings, crossbow in-hand, as she watches, and gives orders to the others as needed. She knew that a supply of fresh water would need to be routed soon, and that the winds could be harnessed for a pump house, but how strong the winds were... remained to be seen.

The initial digging of the fortress was doing well, and a small room was to be dug out to serve as temporary lodgings and a work room later on.
Bean had managed to get himself mildly injured while digging, due to a small collapse of the ground, due to his own fault. it was nothing to prevent his work.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 06:33:23 am »

Kalri sits down, on a boulder and takes out a small book and quillpen, making a log entry.

'17th, Slate, 31:

Pack leader's log, Bean has started to rest his injuries, at my behest, i told him to relinquish the pick, because i would continue the work myself. I made sure he agreed to it. The others will continue with their assigned tasks, i have our grower working on gathering local vegetation to supplement our food supplies.

Off to digging i go.'

'22, Felsite, 31:

Pack Leader's Log, It's been quite... an experience. I felt as if i was at the doors of death, before i realized, i was fine... though i hadn't been the moment before...i was laying on a hard rock, against my spine, i was certain i cracked my back on it. Must have dreamed it... it must have been that... grass used in the camp fire...

Also, Bean is up and moving again, his arm healed up nicely, and i gave him back the pick. I have set plans for a water channel, fed by a pump house. Despite what some might say, I'm a smart Gnoll.'

'14, Hematite, 31:

Pack Leader's Log, It'sbeen busy, i've been overseeing the projects of ours.. been working on alot of things, mostly the bare essentials... need to set up a trade depot soon...THe pump house is complete, save for the near done windmill...

We shall see if the water flows from the brook soon. the channel to the future well roomis done, and there are precautions to prevent unwanted access from that portion of the fortress.'
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:22:43 am by Rivesand »

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 07:48:53 am »

Kalri lets out a sigh, looking around at what was slowly shaping up into a fortress. the water supply, secured. flowing slowly into the small cistern, the food coming to ripen in the farms, and trade goods being made in anticipation to the scouting party to show that they have started to form a thriving Gnoll den.
She takes a drink from a flask, looking at the old wagon, which is due to be dismantled soon, and the remaining goods brought in. This effort so far should impress the Warchief back home. It was only mid-summer, and all was going well so far, but she did not let her guard down, to make sure things continue to go well.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 08:44:39 pm »

Kalri walks into the dug-out lodgings, and then walks deeper still to the new commons room. THe well was soon to be finished, and the glass works were soon starting up, as soon as someone was burning wood into charcoal, and also turn all teh leather they brought into bags. Spoku would certainly be busy with all the glass blocks she would be making.

Soon Kalri returns out to the makeshift target range to hone her marks-gnoll skills.

Pages: [1] 2 3