Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engrave rock item?  (Read 1472 times)

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engrave rock item?
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:57:23 pm »

I was thinking, since some of the others skills have improvement jobs (Decorate with leather/cloth/bone) and how it kinda sucked that you can't engrave constructed walls (Mainly if a dwarf decides to engrave a ton of frolicking elves in the arena you can't have a 2nd chance to roll something good) what about added engraving rock items like artifacts do.  On this item is a finely engraved image of burning elves in orthoclause. etc, or engrave blocks to build pre-engraved walls.

Well, feel free to discuss how many holes are in my suggestion, or how it makes sense.  Either or, it's my two cents.  :P It's not those monumental 10-pounds-of-paper-to-print suggestions, but it's something that I'd like to see eventually.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Backpak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engrave rock item?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:06:53 pm »

I like the idea of engraving blocks for pre-engraved walls
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:43:42 am by Backpak »

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:36:38 pm »

Yeah it'd also make sense to have eg. rock furniture engraved with things. Constructing pre-engraved walls of engraved blocks would make sense too and is a neat solution to the problem.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:14:35 pm »

It should be extended from Stone, you could engrave wood (maybe giving elven goods actual value), and metal to give interesting designs on proper items. Since obviously you can't really engrave 50,000 rings into a picture without extensive and complex measurement, but could engrave a breastplate with gold or some other luxury metal to give it a unique appearance, with little effort.

This could also lead to gilding, or plating, as another value increase. 
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »

Last time I checked you can only decorate an item with the same decoration once, so even if it was just a ring, you could still have a little scribble on it about elves burning.  "Elves in magma, this image represents the dumping of elves into magma in year 207"  Still I think "Elves in magma" is a small enough thing to have engraved onto a ring.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:26:36 am »

Not every item needs to be engravable

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:56 pm »

I would also like to see metal, wood, and bone be engravable. Soft materials cannot be engraved. You can't engrave cloth.

But you can carve wood and bone and also etch/engrave metal. Items made out of stone, like stone mugs or stone tables, should also definitely be engravable.

It would be nice to see the engravers busy doing work once they've finished smoothing and decorating the fortress.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:43:20 pm »

As for engraving wood, it might also make more sense if it consumed some dye, used to paint contrasts on the image. Possibly the same for stone?

Backpak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 06:48:49 pm »

Painting Finished Goods i like it gives dyers more purpose.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:57:43 pm »

As for engraving wood, it might also make more sense if it consumed some dye, used to paint contrasts on the image. Possibly the same for stone?

Most wood engravings are not colored. Its just carvings in the surface of the wood, and if done skillfully working with the natural color of the wood, adds in a lot to improve the quality of the furniture. Similar for stone. As far as I know, it was mostly just the Egyptians that liked to paint their engravings. A lot of other engravings are just plain stone.

Well engraved wood or stone looks very elegant.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 10:22:11 pm »

This of course brings us to woodcuts and lithography.

(And movable type, beyond our period, which is one of those odd idea technologies like the assembly line, where you have the means well in advance but not the motive...)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 03:16:55 pm »

As far as I know, it was mostly just the Egyptians that liked to paint their engravings. A lot of other engravings are just plain stone.
I've heard that the Greek may also have liked to paint their statues, we only see them pure white today, because the paint has weathered off. (And the general European tradition of unpainted statues begun in the renaissance with artists mis-interpreting the uncovered Greek statues and busts being bare stone.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:44:51 pm »

In fact, some historical sources suggest that Greek statues were painted in very garish colors.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 04:40:10 am »

Which will provide us with a new military profession :

Painter

But engraving all kinds of stuff sounds good.
I would like to see an engravers workshop where the dorfs could produce engraved mugs for
"Worlds best Hammerer" and "I *heart* microline"
Thus mugging caravans becomes even more fun. ( in the laughing kind of way )

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 05:05:15 am »

It has also been suggested that Greek statues were often clothed. As in, with cloth.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: [1] 2