Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Telsa Gun  (Read 972 times)

Dwarven Telsa Gun
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:59:40 pm »

I've done some minor mods already, mostly dealing with adding new items to the game. But I got an idea (See title)

I'm curious as to how this would be done. It would be a siege weapon and it would use batteries.

The batteries of course would be made from zinc and copper (I'm pretty sure this can be done with a new reaction, correct?)

The coil for it should have different effectiveness based on what it's made of. But not like metal works. Copper would probably be the standard 100 that iron is. While gold (naturally a better conductor) would work more like steel does.

I would imagine this would stun and even possible paralyze people.

Also it would be nice if every shot wasn't 1 battery. It'd be more realistic I think. To off set that each battery would be like 3-5 cooper and 3-5 zinc bars.

Let me hear some ideas as to how this would be done. I know I'm going to need a new reaction (for batteries) and probably have to add to the siege ammo (again for batteries). I'm not sure where to add the telsa coil and how to change it's effectiveness based on metal type (cuz the effectiveness for electricity in metals if different than that of standard weaponry)

If any of this is unclear just quote and say "Uh what?" and I'll try to clarify. Let me know. Thanks!

Edit: I was wrong on the metals conductivity  :-\ Here's an order for them

Silver - best

Copper - 9% less conductive than silver

Aluminium - 10% less conductive than copper

Gold -  24% less conductive than copper

Brass - maybe like 50%

Platinum - 84% less conductive than copper

EDIT DUEX: Also, is there a way to make it so that it doesn't 'throw' the battery, just simply uses it, flings bolt of electricity, and turns it into and empty battery?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:12:38 pm by Sir Andrew Ryan Farnsley »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Telsa Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 06:20:17 pm »

So you're proposing making a reaction that makes seige ammo (read: ballista bolts) from a reaction, correct?

Because that's pretty much the closest you're going to get in this version. It won't even be possible to add stun or any such (the only means of doing that is via extract injection, which is part of the SPECIALATTACK tag, which is a creature tag, not a weapon one). The best you'll be able to do is create a special type of ballista bolt which burns things.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 06:21:27 pm »

I'm curious as to how this would be done. It would be a siege weapon and it would use batteries.
No such thing as custom siege engines yet, so you can't do that.
The batteries of course would be made from zinc and copper (I'm pretty sure this can be done with a new reaction, correct?)
The coil for it should have different effectiveness based on what it's made of. But not like metal works. Copper would probably be the standard 100 that iron is. While gold (naturally a better conductor) would work more like steel does.
I would imagine this would stun and even possible paralyze people.
Paralyzing and stunning is only for creatures, so that's not possible. The materials of a weapon only effect its damage in melee combat, so that won't work either (unless you have different weapon profiles for each material, which al use ammo that does different damage)
Also it would be nice if every shot wasn't 1 battery. It'd be more realistic I think. To off set that each battery would be like 3-5 cooper and 3-5 zinc bars.
It would have to be one shot per battery, or instead have 'charges' or something for ammo.
Silver - best

Brass - maybe like 50%

EDIT DUEX: Also, is there a way to make it so that it doesn't 'throw' the battery, just simply uses it, flings bolt of electricity, and turns it into and empty battery?
The different conductivity for different materials can be done by giving each a separate weapons profile and ammo, as I said before. There's no way of doing your second edit.

If what I mean is unclear I'd be prepared to make some example raws for what I'm talking about.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »

If what I mean is unclear I'd be prepared to make some example raws for what I'm talking about.

Awww... Everything cool happens in the NEXT version... Dang... Ok nevermind I guess... Thanks anyways... I can't wait for the next version...

And I read you loud and clear, go ahead and lock this one up  :'( Until the next V
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:25:24 pm by Sir Andrew Ryan Farnsley »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:25:23 pm »

To be frank, I don't see anything that suggests that we'll have custom siege engines in the next version.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 06:46:58 pm »

Silver - best

Brass - maybe like 50%

err if i remember correctly from chemistry, gold is the highly conductible material available. brass is useless, platinum is too rare for materials same as aluminum which is only used for high energy currents.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »

I thought the same thing (my original post put gold first) but then I googled it and found that on wiki answers. It wasn't flagged with a million "LOLZ! YOU're a fag! YOu're wrong! lolZ!!!!!11!!" comments so I figured it was right enough. lol but i'm think it's gold, silver, copper, aluminium, then iron, steel, platinum... not sure though

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 11:42:38 pm »

TeSLa.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

TSB

• Bay Watcher
  • It's the TSB experience.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 12:49:06 am »

I want to be able to use uneeded furniture as catapult ammo.

You elves want to play?

Eat beechwood cabinets, bitches.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 12:57:36 am »

Siege engines are hardcoded.

Fun Thing to do: Mod a creature into the WAGON file, and you'll get a vehicle. Do that and get a battering ram that Goblins mount, give it building destroyer.

Tesla Gun: Seriously? Dwarves may be high tech in Dwarf Fortress when the player wants them to be, but now thats a bit much.

Though a Tesla Trooper would be nice.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:09:16 am by Phantom »

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 03:33:17 am »

You know I saw  "Tesla Gun" and I thought of them guns from the Syfy series  "Sanctuary" not sure anyone else here watches that though.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 08:49:29 am »

Silver - best

Brass - maybe like 50%

err if i remember correctly from chemistry, gold is the highly conductible material available. brass is useless, platinum is too rare for materials same as aluminum which is only used for high energy currents.

Couldn't provide any chemistry-based advice, but could it be the reason gold is deemed to be a good conductor is that it doesn't corrode, therefore makes excellent CONNECTORS?

Also Aluminium makes excellent cables because it is light (and relatively strong)?

Therefore you WOULD use copper/silver in all cases, but other practicalities means it is not always used? Would explain a misconception?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 09:04:38 am »

Just in case, it doesn't belong to the modding section, rather to General Discussion :).

Too bad we won't be able to make custom siege engines for a loooong time (if at all).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository