Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Entertainers  (Read 1362 times)

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Entertainers
« on: January 03, 2010, 04:57:53 am »

Searching for Music on here really isn't helpful on these forums, I found nothing similar to what I'm suggesting, all about changing the music for DF2 :P

Anyway, what I'm suggesting here is to actually add a use for instruments and add a new profession to dwarves the 'Entertainer'

What they would do is give nearby dwarves happy thoughts using instruments. They would play only in a stage, which is extended (Like bedrooms, dining rooms, etc) from a table, or a chair, or whatever (Piano furniture=1 block+2 Ropes/strands? :P)

Multiple Entertainers could play at the same time and greatly influence the happiness rate

They would function someway like Happiness= Instrument quality, Entertainer Skill, Time spent listening in stage area, and the diversity of instruments being played in the stage area.
Probably make them happier to give them chairs there, too :P

So, you would have a large room dedicated to entertaining and keeping your dwarves happy, and a selected few to do the entertaining. Or, you could have your stage area extend into your main hallway and add a bit of happiness to passing dwarves.

But a practicing dwarf with a bad quality instrument would emit negative thoughts. You should be able to assign them a private stage to practice in until they're good enough (Proficient Entertainer) to be allowed out in public. Dwarves wouldn't walk into another dwarf's private stage, that would just be rude.

Such new thoughts as:
'Listened to a performance fit for a king recently'(Accomplished+ Performers)
'Listened to an excellent performance recently'
'Listened to a grand performance recently'
'Listened to a decent performance recently'
'Listened to a performance recently'(Proficient Performers)
'Listened to a bad performance recently'
'Listened to a terrible performance recently'
'Listened to a horrible performance recently'
'Listened to a performance so bad he/she gouged the nearest elf's eyes out'(Dabbling Performers)

And, don't forget the travelling minstrels!

Occasionally, a group of humans, dwarves, or whatever may approach your fortress and speak with a noble in charge, or maybe the broker, and strike a deal.

A chat dialogue would appear, similar to with a liason, or more like trading at a depot.

'Greetings. We'll entertain your dwarves if you meet our requests.'

And then, it would bring up a vertical menu of your items and the material value you would need to pay for them to perform at the nearest stage.

Such as:

Code: [Select]
                                                             Minstrels From Stormwind
'Greetings. We'll entertain your dwarves if you meet our requests.'

Warmmachine
(*Steel Goblet*)          1200☼ 39Γ         | |
(☼Steel Goblet☼)          3600☼ 39Γ         | |
(-Steel Goblet-)          600☼ 39Γ          | |
(*Steel Goblet*)          1200☼ 39Γ >P<     | |
(+Steel Goblet+)          900☼ 39Γ  >P<     | |
(+Steel Goblet+)          900☼ 39Γ          | |
(Sunshine Barrel (Larch)) 135☼ 139Γ         | |
                                            | |
v:View good,  Enter: Mark for payment       | |           Request: 2000☼  Allowed Weight: 750Γ
p: Pay

Value: 2100☼     Weight:78Γ

And, of course, paying extra would either cause them to play better or stay longer, and would directly effect if they return yearly.

I'd like to apologize for the notoriously long post, I seem to enjoy writing them (See Minecraft Forums)

Urist McDrunk has tried to become an Entertainer. The resulting depression spiral was very fun.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: The Entertainers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 06:04:04 am »

Searching for Music on here really isn't helpful on these forums, I found nothing similar to what I'm suggesting, all about changing the music for DF2 :P

There's also a ton of threads about ingame instruments, too.  Try searching for instruments.  Anyways, having entertaining as a job could be interesting, but the game would require more social infrastructure for it to work well.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 06:43:17 am »

No, it could function like mist does but be invisible.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:46:37 am »

Searching for Instruments doesn't bring up much besides questions about their purpose and gigantic pipe organs D:

Anyway, doesn't it have a rough social infrastructure already? How the dwarves 'talk' among each other in crowded rooms. Stages could also function as meeting rooms when not in use. No talking during the show :P
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:19:07 am »

also add feature from elona: if those who listen don't like what they hear, they throw rocks at performer :)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:22:51 am »

That's basically a death sentence. You've seen what throwing objects does! :o
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 07:31:49 am »

I single-handedly fended off a force of Orc slashers with a legendary thrower and a bunch of bugs/sands in adv. mode before.

The blood.... it was everywhere! And the limbs! Ohh the limbs!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 07:46:17 am »

And when you start throwing actual weapons?

*shudder*
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:14:49 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Percival

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:20:57 pm »

I think this would be a great idea. As mentioned above, though, I think the problem is that to really truly justify including it would mean making the social aspect of the game more intricate and have more consequences.

This gets me thinking about what that would mean. Maybe a fortress has a "history" or "cultural" quotient, reflecting how many times history has been recorded. Having less of a cultural quotient, in addition to maybe changing the attitudes of your dwarves, might lead to something like fouler moods, worse health, fewer migrants, etc. Maybe the King would require a certain amount of culture.

I also think it would be interesting if there would be a way for your fortress to implode socially: that is, a collapse due to social dysfunction (one not having to do with tantrum spirals). ToadyOne has mentioned a desire to bring in more factions (guilds, religions, etc.) to liven up culture, so maybe art (music, engraving, crafts, maybe even poetry, etc.) would affect the health and balance of these different factions. Currently there seem to be few consequences to having low social skills / low cultural output.

Of course it would be cool just to put music in, though. Make the game a little richer.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 06:40:41 pm »

Safe-Keeper has been content lately. He admired a fine suggestion lately.
He wants to see travelling performers set up shop in your trade depot or other fitting location and put on plays for your dwarves, and want goods or coins to a certain sum in return. This would create happy thoughts in the dwarves, and a performance topped off with the Elven troupe getting their butts handed to them by a goblin ambush would create happy thoughts in Safe-Keeper.

But a practicing dwarf with a bad quality instrument would emit negative thoughts. You should be able to assign them a private stage to practice in until they're good enough (Proficient Entertainer) to be allowed out in public. Dwarves wouldn't walk into another dwarf's private stage, that would just be rude.
Sounds like something you could handle by only allowing dwarves with a sufficient musician skill level to play. Dabbling musicians (dwarves given the Musician job or a certain instrument) would go Practice in their rooms or whatever, and this could produce unhappy thoughts in dwarves nearby, the same way the sound of workshops in full gear does when they try to sleep.

Of course it would be cool just to put music in, though. Make the game a little richer.
Having bards with the ability to write ballads about world/fortress events would be a nice, realistic way to pass history along down the generations, too. Same was as engravings work now.

This is the Ballad of Urist McFey by Urist McBard. Lyrics and composition are of the highest quality. The song features a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarves are striking down the dwarf. The ballad refers to the berserk rage of Urist McFey after his failed attempt to create a legendary chair in Logemked in 201.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:47:56 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 07:11:20 pm »

Ah yes, I sort of forgot sound travels through walls while typing this.

Perhaps the drag-out room size thingy would ignore walls and doors, and simply keep expanding. This would show how far the sound can be heard. Or, it might go through walls but to a lesser extent depending on how many layers of wall it passes through. Different types of stone could possibly transit sound more easily and make less effective practice rooms. Diamonds, lead, iron, and steel would transmit the sound more than usual since they are denser than the average stone (Diamonds especially), as would water.

Although this system would drastically be flawed, since basically all stone/liquids have higher densities than air, and thus sound travels faster/further.

Or it could be made so that the sound stops on the space behind the wall it just went through, and travel further when going through doors or windows, i.e.

Code: [Select]

SSSSS
   SSS   S▓▓▓▓▓S
  S▓▓▓S  S▓▓▓▓▓S
  S▓☺▓S  S▓▓☺▓▓S
  S▓─▓S  S▓▓─▓▓S
  SSSSS  S▓▓S▓▓S
   SSS   SSSSSSS
          SSSSS

Also, a dwarf wouldn't make himself unhappy by playing, although if he performs with a low-skill Entertainer it may provoke bad thoughts too.

Urist McEntertainer played with a mediocre Entertainer today.
Urist McEntertainer played with a professional Entertainer today.

Group performances would get a bit complicated :P

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:39 pm »

I thought that was a hunter dwarf surrounded by snake men.I like the musical instrument idea. How about in adventure mode if you play really good they might give you coins and if your really really good kings and queens will get solders to come and get you to play music for them.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 10:22:05 pm »

Regarding traveling minstrels:

Sounds interesting, but not enough to make me really want their performance.  Currently, it's really easy to make dwarves happy yourself; the risk of getting bad thoughts that you paid for does not justify a positive effect which is already being achieved by waterfalls, statue gardens, and zoos.

What will convince me to not ignore them every time they stop by my fortress?  I agree that mood should be affected, but it needs something else before it would be considered relevant.

Here's a thought: Perhaps for an additional cost, you can commission the minstrels to tailor their performance to some specific purpose, and it gives any dwarves who listen a bonus for the season.  Here are some examples:

-War Rally: For this season, your military gains attack bonuses.
-Ballads of Love: Dwarves find romance easier - applies to finding a lover as well as progressing a relationship to the next level.
-Motivational Speech: Laborers work a little faster
-Epitath in honor of "X": A performance is given in the name of a particular dwarf who died recently, enabling mourners to better cope with their loss.

Or, for a cheaper cost you could ask them for a performance of certain social skills, such as comedian or consoler.  These are less reliable because while the above options would be universally beneficial, the cheaper ones could be more dependent on dwarf moods, so the same performance might cause good thoughts in some and bad thoughts in others.

Urist McCampy enjoyed a corny joke lately.

Urist McSeriousbusiness abhorred a corny joke lately.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:26:44 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 01:16:30 am »

It seems more likely dwarves would tip the minstrels if they like them and they'd then use the coins in whatever shops you have open to strangers to buy provisions etcetera

Dwarves that don't like instruments shouldn't want to play them. Learning to play well should take a long ass time, making good bands a feature of established forts
Pages: [1] 2