Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense  (Read 12721 times)

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
« on: January 03, 2010, 03:02:21 am »

An Empirical !!Treatise!!
By Obok Mengthulokil, Clerk

The Goal
Reusable fire imp based defense regardless of grass presence with little to no player interaction needed.

The Creature and Acquisition
Fire imps are small humanoid creatures found in medium to large sources of magma everywhere. These aggressive magma-dwellers are often a source of vexation for any dwarf who wishes to make full use of their magma supply, as fire imps possess the unique ability ziril gasol, or fire breath. While their bones are valuable, the meat remains warm to the touch and more than one dwarven kitchen has been lost to spontaneously combusting fire imp fat.
The main course for capture is the placement of one or more cage traps around the magma source. The cage need not be made out of any special material, a Feather Tree Cage is as capable of holding one or twenty fire imps just as well as a ¤Steel Cage¤. Narrowing the possible exits available to a fire imp in your magma as well as providing bait, noble or chained creature, will increase the likelihood of capturing the imp. Be aware that fire imps do not breed at all, nor do more migrate to your area.

Notes
  • Size = 3
  • Speed = 900
  • Crossbow range = 20 tiles
  • Blood Type = Goo
  • Will not fire while chained
  • Will not fire through fortifications/grates/bars
  • Will not fire across Z-Levels
  • Will not fire across channels
  • Must be able to path to target
  • Fireball range is same as crossbow range
  • Opens pet-impassable doors
  • Further Reading

The Defenses+Practicality
Spoiler: Chained Imp (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Same Z-Level Pillbox (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bridge Gap (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resetting Corridor 1.1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resetting Corridor 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resetting Corridor 3.1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resetting Corridor 1.2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resetting Corridor 3.2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pet Corridor 1.1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pet Corridor 2.1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Silk Farm Setup (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hatch Corridor 1.1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:38:44 pm by Elvang »
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:05:00 am »

Nice work there.
As far as I see any defenses involving fire imps are impractical. Dragons are really better at this, I use them often. Try comparing those creatures to find out the difference, other then flying and fire breathe range. Maybe that will help some way.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:42:17 am »

It is my suspicion that fire imps will only engage if they can path to the target. If this is the case, you would probably need a container that opens and closes rapidly. The timing of this I suspect would be extremely difficult.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 05:57:59 am »

It is my suspicion that fire imps will only engage if they can path to the target. If this is the case, you would probably need a container that opens and closes rapidly. The timing of this I suspect would be extremely difficult.

Unless it was a rather long corridor, say... 300 tiles long?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:35:40 am »

I guess you can use the GCS silk farm approach, putting a pet-impassable but not forbidden door, so that the imp can path to the enemy but cannot reach him.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:12:35 am »

Or possibly the reverse, just stick a room in front of your entrance locked up by pet-impassable, not-forbidden doors and wait for the enemy to walk into it.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:27:35 am »

Nice work there.
As far as I see any defenses involving fire imps are impractical. Dragons are really better at this, I use them often. Try comparing those creatures to find out the difference, other then flying and fire breathe range. Maybe that will help some way.
Yea, I've captured all the fire imps on my map as I'm about to magmatize my fortress (dwarfmade volcano fortress). Wanted to do a fire imp defense but all the info on that was theoritical designs or stuff that just wouldn't work. Since it comes up fairly often I figured I'd clear any of the misconceptions about it.

I'll have to see if there are any dragons left in my world so I can test it or if I need to gen a new one, I can run them through all the same tests for effectiveness.

The resetting corridors allow the imp to path to freedom, they are timed so the bridge 9 times out of 10 closes the second the imp is on the tile before it (otherwise a little earlier). That's why the imp's movement speed is listed in the notes. Raw speed/100 = how often the creature can move. The corridor is based on a trap that was posted here a while back, that prevented a goblin from ever reaching freedom as it pathed endlessly, couldn't find the thread unfortunately as it had a nice video of it in action.

Unless it was a rather long corridor, say... 300 tiles long?
I minimized the distance between the trigger and the blocking object, I could probably make it even smaller to allow for more imps in a smaller entrance, but I moved on after it became an Impractical defense.

I guess you can use the GCS silk farm approach, putting a pet-impassable but not forbidden door, so that the imp can path to the enemy but cannot reach him.
Or possibly the reverse, just stick a room in front of your entrance locked up by pet-impassable, not-forbidden doors and wait for the enemy to walk into it.
Fire imps can open doors, so I'd assumed that was the same behavior as invaders (opening forbidden doors, no idea about only pet-impassable). I'll add it as one of the test just to be sure though.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »

This is a great study! I've been trying to capture the last reluctant imp on my current fort rather than kill it exactly for the purposes of pillboxing it, but it seems it's rather worthless.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »

Speaking of fire imps, I haven't seen any in a very long time, they never seem to appear in the magma pipes or pools that I've embarked on. No idea why.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 04:01:20 pm »

Updated with 2 new designs. I have a good feeling about Pet Corridor 3.1, after looking at it a bit I know how to simplify it somewhat while increasing the length of time the bridge stays closed. Soon I'll be at the booze tests, been brewing sunshine just for this ;D.

EDIT: Forgot to try the silk farm setup, that's now up there too.
Definitive conclusions so far:
  • Will not fire while chained
  • Will not fire through fortifications/grates/bars
  • Will not fire across Z-Levels
  • Will not fire across channels
  • Must be able to path to target
  • Fireball range is same as crossbow range
  • Opens pet-impassable doors
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:50:52 pm by Elvang »

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »

Will imps open pet-impassible doors if they are pets?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 05:56:44 pm »

Hmm.

It seems to me that the most dangerous thing about fire imps isn't their fireball, it's their ability to light the map on fire. It might be possible to make use of that even with the trap's current... limitations.

We need a way to get fire across or out of an area that can't be normally pathed out of. I can think of a few ways, although none are pretty. You could drop a kitten onto a chunk of coal, then drop the coal down a z-level onto the ground. You could try this:

WWWWWWWWWWW
.....k......c...........IW
WWWWWWWWWWW

Where k is a kitten, c is a cage trap, and I is a fire imp cage linked to a lever. Fire imps always start by throwing fire, so he'd ignite the kitten then get caged. Use a fireproof cage (since that fire he ignites will likely spread back to the cage trap, I've lost wooden cages that way) and watch the fire go bake invaders. The only danger is if the invaders get to the kitten first or fall into the cage trap after you pull the lever.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 08:18:20 pm »

Can't work on it more today, but this is how far I got with version 3, Video. The booze wouldn't ignite in either the iron or wood barrels. The fireball even stops on the wooden barrels.

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 08:15:20 pm »

Here is how I would do the Imp Pillbox:

Code: [Select]
#######
#######
##+++##
##+i+##
##+++##
#######
#######

i = Imp
+ = Fortification
# = Channel

This provides the imp full protection from meleers while giving him a slight advantage against ranged attackers as well.

Now you just need a setup that will funnel the enemy around the imps like...

Code: [Select]
===#######   #######===
   #######   #######
   ##+++##   ##+++##
   ##+i+##   ##+i+##
   ##+++##   ##+++##
   #######   #######
   #######   #######

In this case the invaders will have to pass between the two imps... this setup also works for marksdwarves.  Though in their case you should make a slightly larger pill box to accommodate a barrel of ammo.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »

^^^ You should have read the original post, imps apparently do not fire through fortifications or over channels, thus rendering the pillbox concept unworkable.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3