Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Community Fortress: The fire of Ice  (Read 3329 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community Fortress: The fire of Ice
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 04:20:09 pm »

grr, incapacitated sucks....  Nice kill, Ice wolves normally own anything but champions in my forts.
Nom nom nom

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 05:16:41 pm »

The new pick has been finished, forged by my own hands, same as all the other items that have been made so far. The pick isn't the prettiest thing in the world but it gets the job done. Already I have dug out all the area that the injured steady hadn't gotten to. Soon after the water below froze over and we were able to breach the Aquified Silt. Now we can reach the Iron ore below, also we have struck Chalk one of my favored mineral layers since a multitude of useful stones can be found within it.

Back up top Kalki had taken some of the Plump Helmets she had grown and made some fine wine with it, not the best of drinks but it's still booze in my book. It felt good going down the gullet, much better that any darned water in my opinion.

*Yeah his upper body still has a yellow highlighting. Also haven't played in a frozen area before so I'm not quite sure of what to expect. I do know a few tips and tricks from looking around though.

To be honest I'm surprised we are still alive, I was expecting undead everything rather than these live animals. Still plenty of deadly animals but still want the Skeletal Elk and perhaps Skeletal Muskox as well since I see them arriving on the map every once in a while.*
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 09:08:14 pm »

Mid-Summer year 35

We ran into a small problem with our water supply, it seems the same thing that we had taken for a blessing earlier and also granting us access to precious stone has also restricted our access to water. Every time we try to fill our bucket with water it freezes. Steady who still refuses to take what wine we have keeps insisting for water. I have tried to solve this by digging into the wall, but alas the wall turned out to be another aquifer that I had not noticed before. Steady may have noticed it since he was a more experienced miner but for obvious reasons he wasn't able to. For now the water that escaped has frozen into a wall leaving us with our stairwell to the bottom and further restricting our access to the water. Efforts are being made to retrieve the water as I write this.

Also diggings farther down have been halted after I found some damp stone, I doubt it is part of an aquifer but I'd rather not take the chances. I will go down another layer of stone and try again.

Sometime late Summer Year 35

We have regained access to the water, although I hate the stuff we are out of wine again and I am forced to drink it. Kalki is up above brewing what she can with what she can, may Armok watch over that blessed soul. Seems like a lack of things to do for everyone but me around here, I'm thinking of sending both Xanthius and Akigagak to become hunters for us. They are tough Dwarves so I don't think they will flinch away from butchering the kills that they bring back. I will ask them to be wary however, we still don't know what else is out there and I would hate for one of them to be cornered by a pack of wolves or to face a WereWolf on their own.

Also as a precaution I took every down into the Barracks and went through some basic wrestling and sparring drills just in case something happens... and well I'm not around to protect everyone and they must fend for themselves.

Steady couldn't participate because of his wounds, and Kalki was needed for farming and brewing so she was excused. Derm complained at the work but I pointed once again to the blizzard blowing outside where shifting shapes could be seen everywhere, whether real or imagined and she became quiet. Uberspocklaing was left to his work as well. He was replacing the roof so that the mighty blizzards could no longer chill us to the bone as they often do. It is still cold in place but it's making it much better.

Joy, Joy, just at the turn of Autumn Steady has recovered, he only appears battered now and no longer broken. He also breathes easier, I have a feeling he shall be out and about soon and I can pass along my pick. I don't hate digging in the stone, I enjoy it so and have come to a understanding with the stone; often confiding in it when I think I can't stand another day of this frozen hellhole of a place and I am able to go that extra day, that extra step. I won't forget my time with the stone, but I must place the others needs above my own.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:26:11 pm by mission0 »

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 12:14:58 am »

Early Autumn Year 35

Steady is up and about now going about his mining, actually he is making us new rooms under the aquifer. I should take him and Kalki to learn some fighting techniques. In the mean time I'll just have to make sure they still in the shelter.

Early Autumn 9th Limestone Year 35

Salvation! A trading caravan has come by, I can see them approaching in the distance we can finally go back to the mountain homes!

Early Autumn 10th Limestone Year 35

Seems things are not as I had hoped, I had met with the Liason and he had told me that the Queen had heard of our plight long ago and she wishes... no orders us to stay where we are and raise an outpost in which weary travelers may rest. I begged the Trader, even threatened to beat him to a pulp if he did not take us back. However he won out in the end with the more heavily armed guards behind him I had nothing to do but submit to the Queens demands.

I swear as long as I live Sibrek will be a name that will not be forgotten, and I gave a message to the Liason to take back to the Queen. Not a pleasant one but it gets the point across. In the meantime I'm having a Trading Depot set up so that we can get some food so that we could survive in the hellhole.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 03:26:21 pm »

Cool this is going great and i enjoy reading it, keep it up!
Nom nom nom

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 05:20:21 pm »

*Thank you, sorry this has slowed down a bit already. Started out with like 7 posts in one day and now I'm down to 2 or 3. Yeah school started up, but don't worry I plan to keep this up. Watch for more updates added onto this post*

11th SandStone Mid-Autumn year 35

I have the last laugh today, I picked a geographic map as well as a calender marking how to keep track of the time from the Liason. The geographic map proved useful, it said there was volcanic activity deep in the stone and was it right. I had steady dig down a bit and we ran into a magma pipe, this will go long ways in helping us survive. We will finally have a constant warmth and perhaps we can do something with the magma and the aquifers.

Also Kalki has taken to the drills I had set to her and put them to good use while sparring with Steady. They are both Competent Wrestlers and fully able to protect themselves if something came their way.

On a side note Xanthius may be one of the strongest, if not the strongest of us but he is not to quick on the draw. By the time he normally arrives to a place that we are fighting, the fighting is already done. I say this because another WereWolf came around. Akigagak and I were able to handle it but it may prove a problem later. I hit the thing with my hammer sending it a few feet back and right towards Akigagak who cleaved the beast in two. A bit bloody but it gets the job done.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:25:54 pm by mission0 »

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »

I was in the common room, thinking of turning it into the new Trade Depot so that next time the trade Caravan came by we would be better prepared... in more than one way, they will take us back next time they come by. I was just about to pick a few blocks of bauxite up when a new voice behind me made me jump and drop the stone on my own foot. Cursing I turned around thinking it may be one of the merchants, instead there is a whole crowd of Dwarves there.

"Who in the name of Armok are you... all of you?"

A dwarf who looked like some kind of smithing was his life and dreams stepped forward to speak with me.

"We are immigrants who have traveled from the MountainHomes in hopes of a better life."

I starred at him dumbstruck for a moment before leaning over to speak with Akigagak who was just next to me.

"Did I just hear that right?"

He nodded before whispering, "I'm afraid so Chief."

Cursing under my breath I turned back to the group in front of me.

"Are all of you nuts? You voluntarily came to a Ice Wolf infested, WereWolf prowling, horribly frozen wasteland in hopes of a better life? Did you at least bring something useful?"

The MetalCraft frown for a moment then said, "We didn't exactly come voluntarily, the Queen ordered us here and no we came with nothing but the clothes on our back. I must say though I'm glad I'm away from that beard shaving wench."

Nodding in agreement, "At least we can agree on that, well I guess you should make yourselves comfortable... as best you can in this tundra. I will be by shortly to ask what your job back in the MountainHomes was and to see if we have a use for you here."

1 Weaver
1 Herbalist... Yeah we have a greeeeat need of those
1 Metal Crafter With the Magma could be useful
1 Animal CareTaker
1 Bone Carver Wow, he will be busy
1 Peasant Blank slates to do with what I wish

and 1 Donkey foal

Ok new Dwarves up for the taking yall, anyone wish to have one?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 07:32:13 pm »

ill take wichever one will get me mentioned in the dtory more.

failing that, metal crafter.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »

ill take wichever one will get me mentioned in the dtory more.

failing that, metal crafter.

ah sorry sorry, I think I've said it before this is my first community fort. I'll pull you into the story next time around. Let's see fortress manager, yeah that should be easy to pull in.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 07:38:05 pm »

*Facepalm* i forgot, i already had the bookkeeper.

::) sorry.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:55 pm »

5th Timber Late Autumn Year 35

The Trade Depot is well under well, Derm is planning out the architecture and was thinking something to herself when I dropped in and plopped down a bauxite block to join the other blocks of bauxite in the room. Derm turned around and inspected the blocks for a moment.

"And what exactly are these for?",She asked with a suspicious look in her eye.

"Nothing much, I thought these would be the perfect material for the Trade Depot."

She continued to eye me for a few moments before saying, "and the fact that bauxite is one of the few stones that we know of to resist even the hottest of fires? Look I know you don't like our queen right now but that doesn't mean you can burn the liason and the merchants for condemning us to this area."

I shook my head with a cheesy grin probably plastered on my head, "I hadn't even thought of that, thought that this may help just in-case that a magma man or Fire Imp come up, I plan to use the same materials for some bridges if we can manage it."

She eyed me one more time before nodding, "Fine I'll trust you this time, but so help me if you do something that makes me regret this I won't be responsible for what happens next."

I nodded,"Fair enough, I also plan on digging through the wall here to make a nice corridor so that if any wagons come in the next caravan they will be able to access the area."

"Sounds like a good idea, however you should probably talk to steady about that he's better with Stone than I when it comes to it's natural place", with that she picked up one of the blocks of bauxite and started to work on the depot.

*Also I don't think I will be giving more than one dwarf to a person unless there is a general lack of interest from other bay12 forum-goers. hahah, I misread your post thinking you wanted a bigger role. Either way yes the book-keeper be yours.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 09:55:13 pm »

Then the Metalcrafter's mine!!!

Please call him/her Artifice.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:11 pm »

Then the Metalcrafter's mine!!!

Please call him/her Artifice.

Artifice it is then!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 11:02:35 pm »

Cool story.

I'll take the peasant  :o

Train him/her with the mechanic labor and armor/weaponsmithing labors.
Or, give me the plant gatherer and train that one to be a mechanic and an armorer/weapon-smith.
I prefer whichever one of them to be a male.

Sounds good? Or you don't do cross training? If not, I'll wait for an engineer to arrive...

Call him/her Capitan Coder. (Not a misspelling, it's just Captain in another language.)
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 11:57:01 pm »

*It sounds like your guy and my guy may have some issues, there can only be one leader of this expedition. Also no I don't mind cross-training, just give me a moment the fort is still being set up.*

27th Timber Year 35 Late-Autumn

I went through all the migrants and only two struck me, the Smith that I had talked to earlier and also a strange Dwarf that insists he be called 'Capitan Coder', I'm not sure i'm liking the sounds of that. I will be keeping a close eye on this 'Capitan'.

Coder showed a great interest in Mechanics and seemed to like Weapons as well, I'll see what jobs I can get him around here. Currently we are in need of a mechanic to make mechanisms for a bridge system I have in mind, I'll give him the old dwarven try at it.

On a more productive note, I have Steady making chalk blocks to line the walls of the opening I wish to make, the sand is just to soft and we need something much more solid.

Our wood seems to be holding out right now but still we are going through it in a rapid rate, hopefully we can acquire more to make more beds if need be. I would make it out of stone, but whoever heard of using the most holy of things as stone as a bed in which we lay on and do other... well "things" on. I just couldn't picture it and so wouldn't allow any beds made out of stone.

All the new Immigrants have already been trained to defend themselves well enough. We don't seem to be in any need of a major army but something still gives me the creeps about this place, making me think of Elephants of old. I have yet to see a monstrosity as that which had originally stranded us here but the Wolves and WereWolves still keep us on our toes.

Those who make up our impromptu Militia are Xanthius, Akigagak, and I. I wield a hammer always beating back the foes or knocking them into allies so that they may be hacked to pieces if they weren't already dead. The copper weapons we wield now won't do in the long run, I'll have to see about smelting the magnetite that we have struck into new weapons of steel or if not that Iron. Perhaps 'Capitan' can help with that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5