Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 140 z levels  (Read 2173 times)

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
140 z levels
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:49:40 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1739

something I didn't notice until later  :( The site is isolated from the world, so its only you, local wildlife (including HFS) and a big pile of rock opportunity

"ground" floor

So, I find a named mountain inside a big river valley.  Chasm, underground river, adamantine, sand.  Sedimentary layer, no flux or magma.

Relentless assault mod, with the dwarf civs nerfed so my 7 dwarves are the sum of the world dwarf population. I got a couple of immigrant waves but no trade caravan.  So the dwarf civ is only mostly dead.

So, now what?  This should be fun.  Or it could be "fun" :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:06:12 pm by MightyPaladin »
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: 140 z levels
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:59:11 pm »

Clearly you must make the final stronghold of the dwarves! Repopulate the world sheerly through your starting seven. Carve the mountain out to shape it into a massive spire! Show the goblins, humans, elves, what have you the dwarven method of saving your race!

Declare war on everything. Kill everything on your map till it is a blasted wasteland, decorated with the bones of the fallen and deadly spires! Remove your pop cap and your baby cap, see how full you can get your fortress.

^^ Or, well, do whatever, I guess.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:02:32 pm »

carving a spire out of the mountain.  that would be a lot of digging for 7 dwarves.  I wonder if my patience will hold out  :D
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:05:37 pm »

how'd you get so may z levels?

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:09:03 pm »

I got so many Z levels by finding a named mountain in a river valley.  the river carved an access path to a very tall mountain.

edit: picture!

see all the mountains (as opposed to hills) right next to the river?  They tend to have a lot of Z levels.  The named mountain was an extra special super bonus.

Curses.  I thinking of spires now.  I think I want to make one a hundred z levels high, out of clear glass. topped with gold and the tears of the enemy. use the subterranean levels as underground tree farms...   taking several dwarf lifetimes to accomplish.

For the love of Armok someone stop me
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:14:49 pm by MightyPaladin »

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:14:20 pm »

Convert the entire non-spire mountain into constructed walls, building a single support at the top to hold it in place.
By which I mean:
Code: [Select]
    CCCCC
   CC S CC
   C XXX C
  C XXXXX C
The Xs being solid rock, the Cs being constructed walls in the place of the original mountain rock, and the S being a support.
When you remove the support, the exterior of the mountain collapses, and when the massive dust cloud settles, your finished spire is all that remains. Bonus points if you do it during a siege to knock all of your enemies unconscious.
If only 3Dwarf was real-time.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:23:35 pm »

Dwarven tower of babel?

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 10:06:43 pm »

edit: whoops, nevermind!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 01:34:51 am »

Convert the entire non-spire mountain into constructed walls, building a single support at the top to hold it in place.
[Diagram removed]
Fantastic idea, except for the fact that it would crush the fort since constructed stone can (and will) crash through ceilings and put holes in floors when it collapses.  One of my forts has some tombs with holes in them because of this - and I would have patched it up but it actually looks kinda cool...
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

glueheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:51:56 am »

Must be a pain to navigate through all those levels though, even with hotkeys.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 03:25:47 am »

The worst thing about sites like that is dealing with sieges. A squad can be spread out over 15 z-levels, so you can't easily keep track of them, and then cleaning up, if you have forbid on drop, requires you to designate a million things.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 08:27:31 am »

The worst thing about sites like that is dealing with sieges. A squad can be spread out over 15 z-levels, so you can't easily keep track of them, and then cleaning up, if you have forbid on drop, requires you to designate a million things.

Or unforbid everything from the stocks screen.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 10:56:28 am »

[Diagram removed]
Fantastic idea, except for the fact that it would crush the fort since constructed stone can (and will) crash through ceilings and put holes in floors when it collapses.  One of my forts has some tombs with holes in them because of this - and I would have patched it up but it actually looks kinda cool...

Yes, but do they break solid walls? If not, then as long as you had any fort-related things at least 1 solid tile removed from the outside of the spire they would be fine.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 11:36:22 am »

You have to make a drop shaft at the very top for your sacrifices.  At the bottom have a room for parties and drop the captives/nobles/friends down the shaft and see how far their insides spread!...dwarf fortress has made me into a bad person

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 11:55:19 am »

makkkke MINAS TIRITH!!!! but populated by dwarfs with a sacrifice shaft!
Pages: [1] 2