Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: TBS Experiment: New Hope Survival (Turn 10)  (Read 8507 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TBS Experiment: New Hope Survival (Turn 4)
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2010, 06:36:15 pm »

Quote from: Nirur Torir
20 scientists will try to re-create a computer, with a fairly easy to use OS.

So... you want to make a computer... out of scrap metal... without any silicon at all, nor vacuum tubes, nor semiconductors, as well as an OS? I admit, this game has been unbalanced, but seriously dude, that sounds fucking impossible with the resources we have right now. I admit, some things that have happened have been a bit... unbelievable (Making another coil rifle out of scrap, Designing and building a trike with photovoltaic cells, etc.) but that can be fixed. We need a new rule.

For every complex piece of machinery/weaponry/building that isn't studied beforehand and is used/built, there should be a severe penalty to die-roll and severe consequences no matter what. Any new designs will need a blueprint, refined materials, and whatever else they would need.

Example: I have my crafters build a helicopter with a dual-rotor design.

Now not only should this fail pretty much automatically due to my crafters lack of knowledge about making a dual-rotor Helicopter, the fact is that it couldn't be made just out of scrap. I would have to design a motor that is light enough or powerful enough, use lightweight composite materials instead of scrap, and if I even built the thing, it would be crashed almost immediately due to my lack of electronics software or having a pilot.

I won't mind getting nerfed if it means that we can't build futuristic machines out of nothing. I was planning on building a Mechanical exoskeleton, but I would need access to a computer, a computer programmer, the ability to build hydraulics, use plastics and aluminum, and have a test pilot crazy enough to get into the death tra- invention.

This is just my idea. But I would prefer it we can't build lasers and atomic bombs out of old siding and pipes.
Hmm. You're right, I guess. I hadn't really put much thought into it, but I assumed that we had the general idea of computers and some parts for them in a martian bunker. Like calculators, which are presumably more advanced then a graphic calculator. I'll change it though.

Also, I propose a technology-sharing treaty.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:43:13 pm by Nirur Torir »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 06:48:15 pm »

I would accept this treaty.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »

I will accept too. I can give the Kitchen, Laboratory, and Coil Rifle blueprints away. I'm pretty sure you can get the Plastics Fabricator too.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:06 am »

There will be no update today or tomorrow. Too much to do, and too little time. Next update will be this sunday.

Also, I'll try to use the blueprint-or-penalty and other complex-machine-inhibitor ideas, but I fear they might make the game too complex. If they work well, I'll keep using them. And thanks for the help :)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2010, 11:30:02 am »

How about adding a new, advanced type of scrap? Have it be rare, and un-craftable without advanced machines. It would be used for stuff like computers, auto-aim devices on turrets, aircraft/spacecraft, etc.

We appreciate your frequent update schedule, but don't feel too bad about not having updates for two days.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2010, 04:58:35 am »

Nirur, Sounds good, thanks for the idea. And thanks for the (whatever you call the second line).

I'll start writing the turn now, though it'll still take some hours. In the meantime, I've got this proposal for crafting:

1. Normal stuff, easy to build with scrappy scrap. Ex. Pipelines, walls, frames. Probably most static stuff, medieval weapons, etc.
2. Hard stuff, has a penalty to craft with scrappy scrap. Ex. Basic engines, mechanical devices, electric wiring, firearms (powder, compressed air). Has no penalty if you use some nice scrap, too.
3. Special stuff, can only be crafted with nice scrap. Ex. Electric devices, engines, calculators, modern weaponry (coil).
4. Sweet stuff, can only be crafted with nice scrap, with a penalty. Ex. Remote control, programmable calculators, comm systems, modern heavy weapons.
5. Epic stuff, cannot be crafted unless you find some Überscrap. What Nirur said, computers, auto-aim, flying vehicles (if you have a lot of it), computer systems.

Everything yellow or more difficulty will need blueprints, and scientists working on it. Note that many devices will require eg. a special engine and normal frame, thus requiring scrappy scrap and nice scrap, and having scientists and crafters working on it.

Scientists can only work with nice scrap. Crafters only with scrappy scrap. Überscrap will require both.

So scrappy scrap would be pipes, plate iron, old rusted frames of whatever you can find, bolts, so on. Nice scrap is basic mechanics or electronics - switches, pilot lights, small chips, resistors, gearboxes, cardans, diodes, pneumatic or hydraulic components, stuff like that. Uberscrap includes electronic or high-end mechanic stuff, like computer components, sensors other than pressure, infrared senders and receivers, lasers and laser-activated sensors, high-capacity electromotors, so on.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:14:32 am by EagleV »
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2010, 09:28:31 am »

This turn won't use the new scrap system yet. The next one will, if you guys agree.

Spoiler: inteuniso (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: x2yzh9 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:57:08 am by EagleV »
*WHACK*

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2010, 11:43:38 am »

First off... I had a southern corridor. That was where they were supposed to mine.

Second off, grammar sense... tingling!
Quote from: EagleV
though explaining them how the it works seems impossible.

Finally, turn, because while I will complain sometimes, I wouldn't mind if you did another turn today, because this is just so full of awesome. The advanced scrap system sounds right, and should be implemented next turn.

Continue training the maggots recruits. Advanced shooting tactics, squad tactics, and more. Prep the 2 miners that are better than the rest for training as marksmen. Finish off with War Games.

Teach the medic advanced first aid with the help of the three scientists. Battlefield surgery, Shock and Trauma treatment, etc.

Have 10 traders head south to the substation. Explore it thoroughly bringing any scrap or anything of the like from it. Bring the trike, all of the pistols, the two rifles, and two coil rifles. The rifles are bolt-action right? (Those can be shot at a rate of about one every 5 seconds if you've shot it a few times. It's fun shooting them.)

Have 5 crafters build another pump.

Have 5 crafters bake that meat. I want fooood.

Have a final 5 crafters build a hauling wagon attachment for the trike. Unpowered, it's used for hauling things and adds storage space. It will make the trike slightly slower, but it should pay off for the expedition.

Have the 50 miners finish what they were doing.

Have 1 miner go out and check the corn. Harvest if ready.

I figure we can go on the expedition next turn or the turn after. I'm going to send two of my soldiers on the trike, which will hopefully haul food and more.

x2yzh9, I seriously suggest you get yourself a vehicle. We will cover much more ground if we are just using vehicles. I would suggest a buggy, truck, or trike. Design it this turn and build it the next, and we'll set out then.

Nirur, stock up on weaponry. If that expedition is out for a week, we'll want them to not resort to clubbing any enemies with weapon stocks.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2010, 11:56:45 am »

Grammar fixed. I don't know where that damned southern corridor went, but I'll add it in a moment.
*WHACK*

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2010, 06:51:41 pm »

Populus of Palus

Have 19 scientists research stem cell technology. I think this will help cure population diseases and improve plant production and so on, right?

Have 54 miners do some exploratory mining underground, not under the bunker, with 13 crafters assisting them in building supports. Stop once 20 srap has been used for supports, i don't want my miners dieing.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2010, 06:55:06 pm »

Ever heard of grey mass?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:51 pm »

Torir Hegemony

Ideally, I think I'd like to have 70 farm plots, with seven groups of ten. Each group will be planted a day apart. Two farmers will discuss labor plans, planning out how much labor will likely be involved each day. The other three farmers will plant all the seeds.

10 crafters will upgrade the buggy engine, following the blueprint.

10 crafters will craft more wooden crossbows and stakes.

1 miner will man the drill and continue mining aluminum.

10 scientists will try to design an improvised garage. I want a better place to repair and build vehicles, complete with basic specialized tools. (I'll repair and build vehicles for allies, assuming they pay the scrap costs.)

10 scientists will continue figuring out ways to improve the bunker's defenses.

44 miners will follow the scientist's directions to preform the brute force duties associated with improving the defenses.

Diplomats will grab guns and patrol around inside my area. (I assume my farms are within the defense points?)

---

Can we get a list of all blueprints and technologies in a separate spoiler?
Also, it seems like it vehicles should be in a separate entry from items.
I'll vote to agree on the new scrap system.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2010, 07:52:38 pm »

Ever heard of grey mass?
No.

It's nanobots that went horribly wrong. They start replicating uncontrollably and start consuming all matter.
Roll a 1, and you'll doom them all.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »

Ever heard of grey mass?
No.

It's nanobots that went horribly wrong. They start replicating uncontrollably and start consuming all matter.
Roll a 1, and you'll doom them all.
Oh yeah, i remember that! They Get into peoples noses and crap and eat them inside and turn them into grey goop right?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10