Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: TBS Experiment: New Hope Survival (Turn 10)  (Read 8490 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
TBS Experiment: New Hope Survival (Turn 10)
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:21:08 pm »

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)

This is a turnbased strategy forum experiment. I want 3 players, who can post once every 48 hours, 24 if everyone agrees. The idea is to put you in charge of a band of survivors, that have to battle or negotiate for scarce resources - water and food, maybe even territory, or useful tools. Seeing as your group will have miners, you can expand your bunker to serve as HQ. Or you can set up camp in a building, or even venture outside the dome - if you dare.

RP is not strictly necessary. After all, this is an experiment, not an RP. However, [build X of Y - explore place Z] will do just that, while a few lines of elaboration combined with a good roll might grant you a bonus.

A word on the experiment part: the rules might very well have flaws or be inbalanced. If you spot something I have overlooked, please tell me. If one faction gets an advantage due to an unfair rule, I will change the rule and might give that faction a disadvantage to partially compensate the unfair advantage. I want players that can accept setbacks, rule changes, and accidental unfairness.

Spoiler: The Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Bunker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:29:35 am by EagleV »
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: TBS Experiment: New Hope Survival
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:50:12 pm »

I'm in. This sounds pretty frickin cool

10 miners, 10 scientists, 5 craftsmen, 5 traders/diplomats
Clan: Survivors of Mossena Arcade
Color: Blue
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:50:41 pm by inteuniso »
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:20:00 pm »

I wish to join.

I want another 10 miners, 10 craftsmen, and 10 scientists.
Name: Torir Hegemony
Color: Lime Green
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:41:04 pm by Nirur Torir »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:46:12 pm »

i'm in.

I want another 15 miners, 10 craftsmen, and 5 scientists.

EDIT: By the way, are we supposed to post here or PM you?
EDIT:Name:Populus of Palus
Color:Red
Government:Communistic, for now. I don't want a economy to deal with, so ya know. As well, a straggler colony would probably be communistic anyway, since the goal is survival.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:54:38 pm by x2yzh9 »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:12:50 pm »

You are supposed to post an action/actions here every turn. Everything else is post or pm.

Inteuniso, I'll need your starting people, name and color. x2yzh9, name and color.

Is there anyone that needs 48 hours, or can we start at a 24h limit per turn?
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »

Gah. Late, eh? I'll be watching with interest.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:54:58 pm »

I vote for 24h per turn.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:02:29 pm »

I second 24 hour turns.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 09:45:08 pm »

24 h are fine.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 03:13:30 am »

24h it is. Game will start in 4 hours.

Due to unforeseen circumstances (I'm bored), the game starts now.

Current Map:

Note that advanced radar systems exchange environmental data between bunkers. In other words, the team that explores a tile gets what they find, but all teams get the info. Current tiles are forest and plains. To the north is the edge of the dome.

(A bit of lore: You remember that, although referred to as a city, the dome contained lots of rural areas and plants as well. There is no way a city that big could continously be supplied with fresh air, and thus plants and trees are used as a cheap method of changing CO2 to oxygen. The strong midday sun on mars is partially blocked by the globe, but there is no atmosphere to stop the light, and most of the plants are temperate-climate types or gentically modified to survive in rather warm areas.)

Spoiler: inteuniso (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: x2yzh9 (click to show/hide)

Gentlemen, post your actions.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:04:38 am by EagleV »
*WHACK*

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TBS Experiment: New Hope Survival (Turn 1)
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 09:46:52 am »

Survivors of Mossena Arcade

It's amazing how any of us survived. We're just lucky to have been near the edge of the dome. If only we could have taken more...

I decide to have a group of 30 miners begin to dig out some space in my bunker, to the right of the lobby. We're currently very cramped at the moment, and I would like a space for a laboratory. Some scientists made it to the bunker as well.

Looking at my RADAR screen, I decide to send a party of 5 diplomats to walk to the Hegemony's bunker. I send another 5 to walk to the PoP's Bunker. I decide to send the remaining 5 traders, along with 20 miners, south to explore the plains.

All of my scientists should study our furniture and appliances, as it should help them research new and better objects and weaponry.

(So we're going by research points)

To encourage trade, my 15 crafters should begin building a Trade Depot. As well as providing minor fortifications, it means that traders don't have to come down into the bunker.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:14:10 am by inteuniso »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 10:07:09 am »

I decide to have a group of 30 miners begin to dig out some space in my bunker. We're currently very cramped at the moment, and I would like a space for a laboratory. Some scientists made it to the bunker as well.

(Going for a research bonus here, I was thinking that there should be a simple equation determining the bonus you get, where it is .01x x d100, all over 2. X would equal the amount of scientists you have, and .01 and the 2 are used for balancing. That way, you don't get a 200% research bonus, you get a 5%.)

Could you tell me where you want the space to be dug out?

About the scientists: I'm thinking of simply rolling a die for every scientist. Seeing as research can hardly give negative results (apart from the guy that wanted to prove yellow fever is transmitted by mosquitos), this will be, in my opinion, the most realistic way. Although a formula like the one you gave is a good option if, for some reason, the Xd100 would not work the way it's supposed to.

EDIT: Could everyone post the name and color of his people above posts?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 10:24:12 am by EagleV »
*WHACK*

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 02:04:37 pm »

Populus of Palus

Have 20 miners mine out an area west of storage for a ice liquidification tank.

Send 10 scientists out to survey the area underground for ice

Have 20 miners mine out an area east of dining room/lobby for a hydroponics farm that will be setup once we have found and drilled ice and liquidified it.

Have 10 scientists research communications array(for speaking to the other bases)

have 15 craftsmen build 2 turrets in front of the buildings to defend it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:27:03 pm by x2yzh9 »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 02:49:01 pm »

Populus of Palus

Have 20 miners mine out an area west of storage for a ice liquidification tank.

Send 10 scientists out to survey the area underground for ice

Sure that this is all? There are 70 idlers in your base.
*WHACK*
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10