Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions out the Wazoo  (Read 501 times)

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions out the Wazoo
« on: March 20, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »

Some may be in the works already and I either missed them, or failed to even read.  I shall administer beating-sticks prior to my post's body for use in such an event.

Now, if everyone has their beating-sticks ready..

1)  Saunas!  Since steam exists, perhaps we could use it to make saunas for dorfs to relax in?  Alternatively,  before/near/after the magma flow, there could be natural steam vents that which first breeched could melt your miners' faces off.  I love the idea myself, but i'm a masochist.  (2nd year on Terrifying and NO WOOD!)

2)  Orichalcum (some know it as Tumbaga).  It's just an alloy of copper+gold, usually half/half.  It was used in ancient rome for their very rare and elusive high-value coins.  And a few wore it ornamentally as medals or other show-y things.  It's actually a hideous color of burnt until you remove the impurities by soaking it any (most any) acid, such as Citrus.

3)  Pewter!  We'd need to add lead, which is so simple to smelt that it may not require smelting in-game.  lead is quite heat-reactive.  Pewter is just tin and lead.  And sorta soft and pretty.

4)  FIRE FIRE HAHA FIRE.  I want to see stuff to burn!  Catapults hurling oil-soaked wads of cloth!  I figure that oil can be a hit-and-miss commodity found on some swampy regions.

5)  Fix coal.  Coal is made from decaying plant matter, it wouldn't be found so deep in the ground it'd be near magma.  Bituminous coal specifically comes from compressed peat bogs over time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bituminous_coal

6)  If coal is made easier to get and thus geologically sensible, charcoal could also be fixed.  Generally, IRL, you get about 1/3 of your wood back as useable charcoal after it's burning.  THis also encourages coal to be useful still despite it's nearer-to-start location.

7)  Public bath houses!  Just pipe some cave river into a tub and voila!  A use for soap.  Magma-channel heating optional.  (God, that'd be hard to build.. water AND magma channel..)

8)  Timer traps.  Traps that take a few seconds after triggering to go off.  Useful for many things.  Besides, I like turtling in and having my invaders feel like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

9)  Prosthetics!  Carve some wooden (or stone?) legs for those amputee dorvz!  Perhaps hook hands.  Subterranean pirate-dwarves?  (Now we need ninja dwarves..)

10) Material-specification for crafting.  I want unicorn-horn crafts, not rhesus macaque~!

11)  Clay!  Mud is so useless now.  Bah, plants.  I want clay blocks to build with!  Clay is use a useful material!  I still live in a house of clay this very day!  Clay bricks are highly underrated, and super-easy to make!  Mud, water, dry, cook... bricks!  Besides, Kilns are practically useless right now.

12)  Spices!  Add some wild Cassia trees for cinnamon, or Thyme and Basil.  Or even Valley Herb-rare Saffron with higher-than-gold trade value!  Just like real life!  It'd add some real nice stuff to food.  I imagine it could be implemented like <<decorations>> for other stuff, improving the food's value greatly and the happyness of it's consumers.  Mm, honey-roasted seeds.

13)  Sunflowers.  Seriously, c'mon man.  Wild sunflowers.

14)  And finally, because everyone and their grandmother's cat has already asked for it, and I do so deserve a good beating..
REWALLING!  There's a lot of ways it could be done.  Mortar-style, or quicklime style (owwie, my steel!), or even the cheapo dried-mud way!  Add more use to Kilns.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Suggestions out the Wazoo
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

Re: #14

The obstacle to rewalling at present is having an AI that is capable of dealing with rewalling by being able to tunnel through it intelligently.

[ March 21, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

thebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »

I like most of your suggestions, even if they are semi-frivalous compared to the things Toady is working on now. I think that your idea about spices is excellent, it would really add alot of depth to food production. Adding in new alloys would also be neat, although it would make satisfying the requests of fey dwarves for metal bars even more difficult.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »

quote:
Subterranean pirate-dwarves? (Now we need ninja dwarves..)

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times.
WE NEED NINJAWIZARDDWARVES!!!!!!