Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noah's Island  (Read 650 times)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
Noah's Island
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:29:59 pm »

I need some help in terms of modding in order to try and recreate Noah's Island in Dwarf Mode. For those that haven't seen the show here is the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah%27s_Island (TLDR: A magma powered island run by speaking animals).

So firstly I'll need a volcanic island map, then I'll somehow need to get a selection of skilled animals of various species on the island - the bit ill need help with most.

So far my thinking is thus:
1. Mod dwarves into Polar Bears and so that i can have Noah the Polar Bear in my embarking 7 then kill off the other six so I am left soley with him on a magma powered island.
2. Mod various animals with [can_learn] and [can_speak] and then somehow trade for them or perhaps embark with them so that I have the Polar Bear as mayor and the other animals doing various other jobs.
3. Sit back and enjoy.

Seeing as I've never done any modding before I will likely need plenty 'o help from you modding pros out there.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Noah's Island
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:02:52 pm »

What you intend is cool, but saddly next to impossible why?
1. swapping dwarves with polar bears (this works)
2. the other talking animals won't be able to work because they are not the same creature as you intended polar bear (they can be pets)
3. either you hope to find a island with a volcano on it on a genned map, because solely just genning your own island is impossible (unless you gen a Pocket sized world and pretend its a Island  :P)

But good news or hopefully good news future versions that will come out might have slavery, and you could enslave the other talking animals which in this case make your dream come true but sorry not with this version

your dream will come true, just not right away (Never Give Up, that way you can never lose)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:17:08 pm »

IIRC there's a thread which has a whole load of island sites that people have genned so that is not in fact such an issue.
Would it not be possible to have the other animals as pets with the learn tags or would they not actually be able to carry out jobs?
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:46:48 pm »

In the current version I'm afraid that is quite impossible. No matter what tags they have, as long as they are different races from your main race whether it be bears or dwarfs, they will act like pets only.

It is something toady plans to have working in later versions so you could have a fortress with working residents of every intelligent race, but its not there yet.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:53:16 am »

You could just make a race named 'animals' or something like that, change your graphics so all nobility look like polar bears, all fishers look like cats, all miners look like moles, etc.

It wouldn't give you the super diverse civilization you're looking for, but you could pretend. Just make the race all appear as 4 legged creatures with tails and give them generalized attacks and what not... It would be close but not exact... Most mammals run at similar body temp with similar vital signs and all that jazz... Only thing that would be really off would be size I suppose...