Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inject Extract and Suck Blood  (Read 3241 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Inject Extract and Suck Blood
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:25:34 pm »

I've been messing around with the two very confusing tags [SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100] and [SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD:50:100] at least to me they are confusing anyone know the full effect of both of them?
I played around with Inject_Extract and so far its the potency of whats being injected min:max, but I havent been able to see what Suck_Blood does my guess it feeds the creature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inject Extract and Suck Blood
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:29:02 pm »

SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD causes bleeding. That's all I know. It might be possible to passively use it by striking in adventurer mode, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have any notable effect beyond causing the aforementioned bleeding.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:50:59 pm »

speaking of that is it possible to remove the [ATTCK_WITH] tag and just use the [SPECIALATTACK_...] tags thus having a harmless attack that does the required effect?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:55:57 pm »

What's wrong with setting damage to 0:0 and the aux SPECIALATTACK values to 100:100? Surely that'd have the same effect.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »

As far as I know, the only thing ATTACK_WITH does is have the computer tell you which body part made the attack.  ie, "X claws you with its right front claw" instead of just "X claws you."

I haven't tested this, but setting the attack's damage to 0:0 shouldn't actually make a harmless attack, since a creature's size also contributes to damage.  In the case of megabeasts, most of their damage comes from size.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:32:12 pm »

I thought the reason for size being such an important factor was that it factored into multiplication of damage?

Actually, you're correct. Size is pretty much a flat bonus to damage so long as the target is smaller.

Err... in that case, I'm pretty sure there isn't any means of only getting the special effect out on its own safely, unless you're working with a size 2 creature.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:12:21 pm »

The only way I know of to deliver venom without associating it with a damaging attack, is the [VERMIN_BITE] tag used by things like small cave spiders.  Given that it's a random chance for a creature standing on top of a tiny vermin, I imagine it will not work with a larger creature.

I read somewhere that bloodsucking does work in adventure mode, and yes, as far as I can recall, other than the cosmetic flavor text saying you suck blood from your opponent, it just causes excessive bleeding.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 03:25:25 pm »

well thanks for that its very useful to know :) and another thing giving a creature [EVIL] and [SAVAGE] tags does it show up on those maps or only when they are both present?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:59:56 am »

It'll show up in both savage and evil environments - there isn't really any way of getting a creature to only show up in terrifying biomes or such.

GOOD and EVIL can work at the same time as well.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:40:23 am »

As far as I know, the only thing ATTACK_WITH does is have the computer tell you which body part made the attack.  ie, "X claws you with its right front claw" instead of just "X claws you."

I haven't tested this, but setting the attack's damage to 0:0 shouldn't actually make a harmless attack, since a creature's size also contributes to damage.  In the case of megabeasts, most of their damage comes from size.

It's totally right, the thing you say:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37546.0

If the attacking creature is bigger, charges or is in an unstable mental state, the "raw" damage itself does almost nothing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 10:49:14 pm »

thanks for the [EVIL] and [SAVAGE] tag clarify it started working but the creatures arn't at vicous as I hoped they were at one point is it the [BENIGH] (think thats how its spelt) which allows it to show up on calm maps, but does [CURIOUS_BEAST_EATER] and the other corisponding two tags make them cowards? I don't think so because when they went after my small freshly embarked dwarves they came like flies to shist, and devoured everyone... what am I doing wrong?

creature code

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 11:10:21 pm »

Actually, "curious beast - thing" will draw them to your stockpiles, and since your dwarves were there, here's the result.

You have NOFEAR and LIKES_FIGHTING, they shouldn't run away.

Is there a reason for some of the tokens to not be in brackets?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 11:16:10 pm »

the tags not in brackets are the ones I thought to be to problem and to quickly re-add by surrounding with brackets again the extravision tag might be put back in, im deciding if the screamer should keep the eye in its palm or not

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 11:22:29 pm »

and this has had my brain on fire is 1..6 the acuall max for damage by attacking? because my Urk Dasha race are the laughing stock of the tundra

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 11:27:17 pm »

In simple terms, damage is (damage)+/-(size difference)-(damblock), and various other modifiers (strength, toughness, etc).

So they'll be doing something along the lines of 19-26 damage, which should be enough for almost anyone.

What exactly are they having trouble against?
Pages: [1] 2