Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Landbound sea critters  (Read 378 times)

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
Landbound sea critters
« on: January 02, 2010, 06:17:14 am »

I've expanded the merpeople entries significantly, giving them cities, diplomats, oceanic pack animals and traders.  I set up a game to test it out, dug out a channel into the ocean with a set of pumps over my depot, giving clear access from seaside and getting rid of excess water to keep my depot at 4/7 water level, figuring this should be safe for both merpeople and other people.
And after some years - lo and behold, merpeople traders!  Success, I thought... zoomed to them, and found them on land, walking along like some footed creatures, with carts pulled by horses.  I suppose thinking they'd show up from the sea with pack sharks and things was a tad optimistic of me?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Landbound sea critters
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:23:03 am »

Unfortunately there really isn't such a thing as waterbased civvers at the moment - I've had civs based on oceans accidentally build in them due to the effectively random placement of fortresses on the local map, but they won't actually ever use the water.

Still adds flavour in adventurer mode, though - I've had temples built just off the land, underwater.