Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to achieve greatness with this dwarf?  (Read 2756 times)

Clumsy Robot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to achieve greatness with this dwarf?
« on: January 01, 2010, 07:43:01 pm »

I'm still running my first fortress. It's finally gone over sixty dorfs, since goblins have been pretty efficient in keeping our numbers down. I don't have any particularly interesting projects at the moment; I'm just expanding slightly and making sure my happy dwarves don't randomly run out of food again.

Our increases in population seems to be due to finally having a few soldiers that don't die after their first engagement. I've had more than a couple champions who reached that skill level without killing a single goblin who die off twice as fast as my recruits.

Looking over my units, I realized that I can't really remember who individual dwarves are anymore. I named a few of them according to their jobs or the like. Then I noticed one of my soldiers. Ten noticable kills, though none of them recent. It seems clear why: he has no eyes.

I looked at the wounds screen for a moment, unsure if there was something I should be doing with the situation. My hands moved on their own, opening up his profile and giving him a new name.

Zatoichi.

How do I see to it that this handicapable dwarf becomes a great boon to my fortress? Neither him or my one-lunged Spearmaster seem to be dying on their patrols and my brain-damaged guy has been dealing with every ambush we've had, so that's something, but as far as I know he won't spar or drink. Is there anything a novice such as myself can do?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 08:07:11 pm by Clumsy Robot »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: How to achieve greatness with this dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »

Station him in your entrance. Give the brain the [SIGHT] token in /raw/body_default. Have fun.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 09:00:56 pm »

Dwarves with any amount of brain damage will no longer spar - if you want them to again, you have to use a 3rd-party tool to heal them.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:08:41 pm »

Make him the captain of the guard.  Being blind, the beatings he'll administer won't be as lethal, nor will he train in the barracks anymore to get stronger.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 09:13:18 pm »

Eyes are part of the brain now?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:26:17 pm »

Station him in your entrance. Give the brain the [SIGHT] token in /raw/body_default. Have fun.

Why? I thought blind dwarves had no problem fighting or working, as long as they've been able to deal with the phantom pain. If the OP's blind dwarf is passing out, then he needs to make him train at the gym (pump operating) or in bookkeeping.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 09:35:21 pm »

Toady has actually made it so blind dwarves cannot see properly. There's a video on DFMA of someone's blind crossbowdwarf trying to shoot at an archery target for practice, and just shooting in a circle around himself. I'd imagine that melee dwarves would have extreme difficulties in finding their targets also.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Clumsy Robot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 09:36:05 pm »

He's doing fine from what I can see. He hasn't had any issues with pain.

Eyes are part of the brain now?
Whoops, thought that dwarves wouldn't spar if they're injured at all. My mistake. Well, he isn't a blind swordsdwarf yet, this gives me a chance to fix him.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 09:42:59 pm »

Toady has actually made it so blind dwarves cannot see properly. There's a video on DFMA of someone's blind crossbowdwarf trying to shoot at an archery target for practice, and just shooting in a circle around himself. I'd imagine that melee dwarves would have extreme difficulties in finding their targets also.

If I recall correctly, I think blindness works so that dwarves can 'see' in the eight squares (ten? not sure about up/down) immediately surrounding them. So melee dwarves should be about to do fine in battle as long as they're not against ranged enemies.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 09:43:25 pm »

He'll do almost entirely fine, but keep in mind that total blindness will affect skill rolls, accuracy, and I think damage.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 10:05:41 pm »

If I recall correctly, I think blindness works so that dwarves can 'see' in the eight squares (ten? not sure about up/down) immediately surrounding them. So melee dwarves should be about to do fine in battle as long as they're not against ranged enemies.

How about blind civilians? Will they be able to path correctly?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 10:34:36 pm »

You mention something that awesome(ly tragic) and don't even link to it?  What kind of Dwarf are you?
Sanity is for the weak.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 11:02:36 pm »

I gotta see this...

Anyone have the link?
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 11:16:12 pm »

He's a champion too..

Should've named him Eagle-eye.

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/eagle-eye-smith.html?cid=vplayer_robot-chicken_eagle-eye-smith

I can't be the only one who thought of this.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."
Pages: [1] 2