Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New civ: Taconites  (Read 1235 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
New civ: Taconites
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:38:06 pm »

I want to make a race of sentient tacos. (See my avatar)
Unfortunately I have no modding experience other than looking at the raws and reading through the wiki article.
I think what I'll do is put parts/features up, list the status, and finally upload the raw file when I'm done.

Version 1.0 is finished:
Download it here
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:24:37 pm by Taco Dan »
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

carriontrooper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New civ: Taconites
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:23:38 am »

-Giving them a hard shell
[SHELL] tag on the creature, look at turtles.

-Making other sentients eat them
give them [BUTCHERABLE], again on creatures. Although probably only the elves will eat them.

-Giving them different organs
In the body_standard file, look for the ORGANS body part. Copy paste modify. Some useful tags to know about:
[BREATHE] this part is used for breathing
[CIRCULATION] BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
[THROAT] sometimes needed to connect the [BREATHE] to other bodyparts, methinks.
[SIGHT] used to see
[HEAR] used to hear
[SMELL] used to smell
[NERVOUS] Debilitating injury if damaged/broken
[THOUGHT] used to think
[INTERNAL] it's inside the body... like organs.
I am wretched, but I am STRONG!
I am the future... I AM ZERG!
LIVE FOR THE SWARRRRMMMMMMMM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:27:54 am »

-Giving them a hard shell
[SHELL] tag on the creature, look at turtles.

When it comes to actual shells, though, you won't be able to do that very well in the current version. You'll probably be able to do a lot better in the next (what with the materials rewrite), but as for now you'll have to live with just giving them a part attached to the body with the [SKELETAL] tag. Not like it matters much anyway...

-Making other sentients eat them
give them [BUTCHERABLE], again on creatures. Although probably only the elves will eat them.

I may be wrong, but I think that BUTCHERABLE only applies to pets - you'll be looking at modifying the vanilla civ ethics to do that, though that'll result in dwarfs eating any and all sentients they kill.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:27:23 am »

If you want to give them a 'shell' in the way of making them more resistant to damage;
Add the [DAMBLOCK:...] tag.

Otherwise; You've already had your answer.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:34:38 am »

just add [SHELL] tag and give them a [prefstring:hard shells] and if that makes them stronger or weaker use [DAMBLOCK:+1 or -1]  or any other value. like Caesar said. are they fragile [SEVERONBREAKS] that way if somthing is broken it come right off instead of getting mangled or waiting to be lopped off. Are they really alive? or magically powered? if they are powered by magic use [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP][NOBLEED][NOBREATHE][NOTHOUGHT] this should remove the need of a brain, heart, lungs, throat, spines are needed at all times I think, and the no eat/drink/ and sleep tags just do as they say. Anthing else just ask,

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 04:49:03 pm »

Thank you for all the help, I was wondering if I could keep the regular organs but rename them. If not it's fine.
EDIT: I'm also having some problems in playtesting: They don't have symbols and they're being called plant names (Whip vine swordsman, Quarry bush child etc.) instead of taconites.
Yes, I put in [TILE:'T'] and [NAME:taconite:taconites:taconite] but the problem persists.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:06:24 pm by Taco Dan »
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 04:56:02 pm »

Thank you for all the help, I was wondering if I could keep the regular organs but rename them. If not it's fine.

yes you can keep all the regular organs, and use [BODYGLOSS:liver:chilli] and do that for every organ.. Or make your own (I'd go with that option) when you make the body part CON or CONTYPE it to whatever part and give it the [INTERNAL] tag thus making it like any other organ, P.S. [BODYGLOSS:upperbody:shell (or taco shell)] and this tag goes in the creature.txt not body.txt if I confused you im so sorry

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:47:30 pm »

EDIT: I'm also having some problems in playtesting: They don't have symbols and they're being called plant names (Whip vine swordsman, Quarry bush child etc.) instead of taconites.
Yes, I put in [TILE:'T'] and [NAME:taconite:taconites:taconite] but the problem persists.

I duno about the tile, but the names are caused, I think, by a [matgloss:plant] tag on the creature. I've seen [matgloss:metal]'d creatures before, they were iron and copper and so on.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 09:54:36 pm »

If you want to make them edible, you can give them an ITEMCORPSE so that they turn into en edible plant upon death, like a plump helmet. Or, you can make a custom, seedless plant called "taco" that naturally grows in no biomes, but will replace your tacopeople when they die.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:29 pm »

I've finish the mod and you can now download it.
(Look at the OP)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:40:51 am »

I think using a yellow "D" for you taconites would be more appropriate than a T. ;)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 11:07:23 pm »

LOL!!!! Love it I added some things to them to make it more believeable and im having some good laughs at it

changes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

adventure mode i thinks will be funny "You attack the Taconite, his shell is baddly gashed his salsa shoots out"  ;D

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 01:04:51 am »

I'll probably add these things to the next version, I'm also thinking about srewing with the ethics a bit, because I mainly just copy pasted the humans.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 02:51:21 am »

They should be OK with eating other sentients, because everyone tries to eat them.

CANNIBAL TACONITES! BEWARE!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 09:10:40 am »

I was looking at the entity file and moved the Taconites to their own .txt file same with the food item Taco, the ehtics I don't mind much. Man eating tacos!!! The world will end lol