Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: human cavalry  (Read 887 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
human cavalry
« on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:03 pm »

I'm being besieged by humans (as well as goblins, elves and kobolds; feels good, man), and now they've sent in the cavalry. As you probably know, this doesn't work very well due to their horses being scared of my dwarves.

Is it possible to somehow mod my humans to come on foot, or to at least make the horses less fearful? Regarding the latter option, I've thought about using the [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag, but I'd rather do something less ridiculous.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: human cavalry
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »

It might be something that is hardcoded.

Now though, if they were riding War Horses rather than normal horses, maybe they won't run.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »

It might be something that is hardcoded.

Now though, if they were riding War Horses rather than normal horses, maybe they won't run.

Well, war horses most likely wouldn't run all right, but I don't think they'd train them even if I did make them [trAINABLE]. It can't hurt to try though.

EDIT: I've tested it, and with the above mentioned tag, humans still used regular horses, i.e. the fearful ones.

EDIT2: With the [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag added, horses in the human cavalry seem to stand their ground now, which is weird, because wild ones still prefer to run when confronted.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:50:06 pm by assimilateur »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 11:36:19 pm »

Isn't there a tag called [BENIGN]? Remove it.

Adding [NO_FEAR] Only works for Siegers retreating because of casualties.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:22:04 am »

[liKES_FIGHTING] also helps, although I suspect it is implied in [LARGE_PREDATOR]
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:31:17 am »

It somehow makes me think of a large horse with a dwarf half way into it's throat.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:05:07 am »

I'm being besieged by humans (as well as goblins, elves and kobolds; feels good, man), and now they've sent in the cavalry. As you probably know, this doesn't work very well due to their horses being scared of my dwarves.

Is it possible to somehow mod my humans to come on foot, or to at least make the horses less fearful? Regarding the latter option, I've thought about using the [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag, but I'd rather do something less ridiculous.

Build a coral. Build a walled or channeled off area that will let you trap the cavalry preventing them from running a way from you troops. Say 3 by 20 or 3 by 30 either walled or channeled off from the map with either bridges at both ends or flood gates. Trick humans and horses into entering, seal them off, send in the troops, horses have no where to run.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:19:32 am »

It somehow makes me think of a large horse with a dwarf half way into it's throat.
A horse eating a dwarf?That would be the day.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:06:14 am »

I did remove the [BENIGN] tag as well. I haven't tested it thoroughly yet, but as I said, I think it worked (together with [LARGE_PREDATOR]).*

I'm going to build sort of a corral sooner or later, but I'm only in my second year with my starting seven, so that will have to wait. I might even turn off invaders for some time if they become too much of a hassle.

* EDIT: Further testing suggests that [LARGE_PREDATOR] seems to have worked. The mounts aren't running from my dwarves anymore, so it's either the change in tags, or their vast numerical superiority (I still got my starting 7; well, not all of them, strictly speaking) that gives them courage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:28:19 pm by assimilateur »