Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Sparkgear IX - Revenge of Sparkgear [Magma flood in progress. Blame the Spoon]  (Read 55920 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear IX - Revenge of Sparkgear
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:53 am »

I guess it was a false positive on the finder, then... it's been reported in the bugs before.  Soo, I guess we'll see how long we'll last without water!

Made good progress through spring, despite losing two dwarves to bugbears including one of the miners.  Nobody named, no worries there.  Too tired to write up a narrative right now, but I have my notes saved to a document so that I can do it later.  I'm very likely to end my turn with a bulleted list of notes, and then fill it in with a more descriptive narrative later.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2010, 12:51:16 am »

Okay, here's what I can do. After Calrissian  post his save, I can add an auifer or other water source with tweak, or we can continue without it. What do you guys think we should do?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2010, 01:15:45 am »

SparGearniss strike again, we continue without, that will be a really hard challenge. Without destroying every single bed I mean, a injured dwarf is a dead one ^^The legendary armourer and adamantine will be handy thought. If I remember well, a fully plated, chain-mailed, with legendary make leather dwarf have less than 3 or 4% to be hurt, add to it the shield. 20% of blocking mean: 80%, 4% of 80%. 3.2% chance. With steel that got too 8%. I didn't even count the parry and the dodging. Every last champion in a weapon and wrestling who would die will be really bad lucky. And it's if the enemy made it alive too our hand to hand combatant.

Other injuries could be avoid. Except maybe training injuries, cross training. You see, water it's not needed :p Just play clever :p But i bet that someone will managed to injured half the fortress in one swift action ^^ Thing are interesting now :)

To note: My number are not exact, it's just rough approximation.
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2010, 02:56:58 am »

I strongly vote in favor of using Tweak to create an infinite water source, or barring that start an entirely new map (easy for me to say as someone who hasn't played yet, although I'd be willing to wait longer and let those who've already played go again if that's what it takes).  I've seen water shortages sap the fun out of way too many of these.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2010, 03:23:54 am »

I'm leaning that way as well.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2010, 04:16:35 am »

Two kinds of enemies have trapavoid, Chaos Dwarves and Orcs. Neither are an immediate concern, as the Orc have been changed to act like normal goblins, and chaos dwarves tend to ambush much earlier then they atteck, so there will be warning. Cage traps are a viable defensive measure, although limited. How the stockpiles are arranged I don't know. Originally, booze production and storage was supposed to be contained just north of the dining room, but labreck changed a lot of things.
:-[

Yeah and I was going to make the dining room into a food storage again and a new magma dining room to the south of the current dining hall. But I just messed things up a few times so I ended up with no time for more expansions.

btw, have you mined the copper northeast of the magma pipe?
I strongly vote in favor of using Tweak to create an infinite water source, or barring that start an entirely new map (easy for me to say as someone who hasn't played yet, although I'd be willing to wait longer and let those who've already played go again if that's what it takes).  I've seen water shortages sap the fun out of way too many of these.

I lean too
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:38:18 am by ajar »
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2010, 07:12:34 am »

If I were taking a turn instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself with antibiotic-resistant tonsillitis, my opinion would have weight. But it really does not while I am just an observer.

Even so here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2010, 11:20:05 am »

I'm in luck, then, because my vote is for the challenge of no water, but since I'm losing that vote, at least I get to play without water on my turn!
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2010, 11:54:27 am »

Click spoiler receev preview:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »

There's something very, very strange going on here.  I set orders to 'Dwarves Stay Indoors,' and I'm getting forbidden area cancellations all over the inside of the fort.  I can't plant seeds, brew drinks, or build new constructions underground.  What the heck is going on?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:51:16 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2010, 01:49:09 pm »

Someone posted earlier that there are walkways exposed to the sun, and there is an outside farm as well. I think the idea is that you can bring everyone inside, close the paths to the true outside, and then reenable pathing to get things done. Works great when you don't have a no-turtling rule.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2010, 01:51:31 pm »

It seems that when you order all dwarves indoors, they all crowd around the Inside, Light Above Ground area in the entryway.  They refuse to leave this spot to do any job, even indoor subterranean jobs (in fact, all jobs get canceled with "Forbidden Area") and you're really pretty much stuck here.  Seems like a bug to me...

I don't see an outdoor farm, either.  It's not like they're blocked, it's that they want to be Inside Light Above Ground, and refuse to path onto Dark Subterranean.  What the heck?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:53:17 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2010, 02:33:44 pm »

Ah, I think I know what's happened. Is the spot of above ground in the entryway after a small amount of underground?

i.e.

Code: [Select]
....#########
....xxxx...xx
....xxxx...xx
....xxxx...xx
....#########

(.)s are above ground.
(x)s are underground.
(#)s are walls.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2010, 02:42:47 pm »

Exact, the entry was quite fussy. You have miner? Just create a new main stair case (3x3 will be fine). The farm are indoor, but the way to the farm are outdoor.

I see I'm not alone in my masochist way ^^ But you are quit right Architect, the number of player unable to handle thing we consider basic is impressive. Tweak the map.   
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2010, 03:12:48 pm »

Akigagak, that's not exactly right.  Let me correct it for you.

Code: [Select]
....#########
xxxxxxxx...v#
xxxxxxxx...v#
xxxxxxxx...v#
xxxx#########

The farms are definitely underground.  So no, they aren't camping in an underground area that's surrounded by sunlight.

The job cancellation spam reproduces without fail:

I've figured out what's actually happening: The sunlit area is separating the farms from the rest of the fortress, creating cancellations when a dwarf on one side can't reach their job on the other.

I don't need to create a new stairway, I just need to carve a path around it to provide an underground connection between the two areas.

I'm going to be ending my turn early because I have some work left to do around the apartment.  I have to pick up a friend at the bus station in a few hours and need to make sure the place is clean and stocked with food.  I'll fix this little indoor/outdoor issue, then get a narrative, a map, and the save uploaded immediately following this post.

Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33