Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Author Topic: Sparkgear IX - Revenge of Sparkgear [Magma flood in progress. Blame the Spoon]  (Read 55922 times)

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear IX - Revenge of Sparkgear
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 03:32:42 pm »

I will do it, actually, I'll try to repeal the onslaught with the less death possible. A hard challenge. Few wounded, 6 captures a war horse and a mix of useless hobgoblin ^^

17th Hematite
The hobgoblin are defeated, but we got 3 wounded, no one in the military hopefully, I'll make heavy research for that damned aquifer. Now that their cousin who attack, goblin, 4 of them, but two really dangerous. We will hold the ground. 

Ok, or I turtle in, or I let the save to someone else, I was thinking the goblin invasion was 4 strong. Actually, we have probably 30 or 40 goblin with one idea, killed every last dwarf in that fortress. Our military will never hold, even with a good using of the bridge. I talk mainly of hammergoblin, speargoblin, even if a third of their force are wrestler. I'll make a try, or I have the save in the hobgoblin, who are quit easy to dispatch.

Our military was wiped out in 5 second on the first wave, after 1 minute, on 30 dwarf, we were at 10 lad, half o them resting or sleeping. The only solution I see for now is to close the fortress and prepare some defence and military. A 3wide corridor with a balista battery could dispatch the problem. Add cage trap and marskdwarves who shout from behind fortification.

I upload the actual save just to be sure,
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:17:26 pm by sir labreck »
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 04:12:09 pm »

So close the bridge and train up. They'll leave eventually. Just make sure you do somthing cool while you wait.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »

Good, but I seriously think I'll pass the save, I have the save ready. Feel free to do something constructive.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1747

I'll post a PoI, is someone could give me the link to the site, I don't have it. 
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 04:26:21 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/

Here. Your English seems to be improving.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 06:33:59 pm »

If you say so, read, write and play in English half my vacation help.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7756-arche-sgix

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 06:57:37 pm »

Okay, adding storage space near the workshops was a good idea, and the massive excavation near the farms is merely mind-boggling, but whoever tampered with my carefully planned stockpiles may doom us all.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:33 pm »

Massive excavation was stopped by me. For stockpile, I delete some of the stockpile, seriously, build a kitchen and a still near the farm. Close the farm area from the main entrance, and start building a defencive corridor into the ground. You want that everything that not allied have to go by their first, not in our vital food supply ^^

Also, I have mark up some digging to extend the forge, build smelter a lot and an another forge. Cut out the channel a little.

Except that, the priority are:

-Check the structure of the fortress and correct it to let one main way into the fortress for enemy, you could let a secondary acces for civil when everything is calm ^^
-The construction of a corridor, 3 wide, with balista at an end, channel to separate fortification where our ranger can kill foes and being the only in or out in war time. (Optional; the 3wide passage can be made with bridge, and the under them, a falling of 10 or more level, alternate natural floor with bridge to make it long)
-Build  a barrack near the new defencive system
-Find iron and make steel
-Forge en masse steel sword, steel bolt, steel chain mail and make iron full suit
-Start a complete glass industry to trade and make grow everything we need for food/dye/cloth

*:Find water is a top priority, but you can't just concentrate on that, just find the aquifer, take the first stone layer and do tunnel across the map.

The 3 first should be complete under one reign. Our people will mess up everything, with half thing done. It's my recommendation to make it viable with a no enclosure rule. Once every state are check and correctly done, you will have the full ability to do anything stupid you want ^^

Personally, I'll not put an hand on this(except to fill up an hour or 2 if that happen), I have see that for the moment my taste are elsewhere than DF, Shonus, I'll back you for this, I love to see what the other make as stupidity :) Will make recommendation, doing the PoI also can be a good idea. 

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 08:48:40 pm »

Putting all food production, excpt the farm and a small plant stockpile, near the dining rooms has prevented having a single item of food rot in my fortresses, ever. Not to mention the much reduced amount of time it takes dwarves to get their food and then eat it. Not a huge deal, as long as they were changed with purpose.

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 12:46:33 am »

For rotten food just get enough hauler and storage place :) And getting some storage near the dinning hall is always a good idea ^^ But the main loosing time is on the travel farm-workshop, doing easy meal is good idea, and a dwarf without booze, bah you know what I mean. If the fortress really lose time when dwarf eat, the player in charge will haves to consider irrigation (when the damned aquifer will be find). Farm should never be far from dinning hall and food work shop cluster.

I just hope the couple next ruler will be aware of the necessary change and will operate them. Or this SG will be as boring than the last one. It where interesting for what I read, but not much. When basis is supply, it's easier to do crazy project and see them fail, or even see stupid thing do on purpose :p Like charging with the whole military a orc sieged ^^

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 06:34:12 am »

Oh yes. Change is on its way. I love change!
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:20 am »

Oh no. Savescummed twice. The brewing doesn't work. The dwarves died of thirst.
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 08:22:43 am »

Wounded dorfs need water from a well. ;) Two buckets, a chain, some blocks and mechanisms is what you need.
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 12:12:48 pm »

Doesn't help when the auifer is still MIA.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2010, 12:19:37 pm »

Maybe I should try try this.

All dwarves dig like hell before they find water, the rest try to brew booze and forge more picks

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »

Close the fort and wall the farm (and construct new staircase). After find the damned aquifer. But your plan sound good to me. Don't forget, forge metal barrel, we don't have a piece of wood.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33