Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Curse You Dolomite!  (Read 7737 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Curse You Dolomite!
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2010, 04:10:46 pm »

I have this to add.

F**K YOU ALUNITE.

And its friends, orthoclase and microcline. Seriously, the three together make up like half of all mountains.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2010, 04:14:19 pm »

I like microcline. I use it a lot when I'm trying to make a giant statue. (Usually a Microcline depiction of Adamantine armor)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2010, 08:35:48 pm »

I have this to add.

F**K YOU ALUNITE.

And its friends, orthoclase and microcline. Seriously, the three together make up like half of all mountains.

I have a smelter reaction that turns Orthoclase into Gold and Microcline into Adamantine

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 09:28:30 pm »

Wow, that's over the top even by my standards. Wouldn't it make more sense, and be less of a hassle, if you modded out those shitty stones and had gold appear as large clusters everywhere? That's more or less what I'm doing and it works well for me.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 10:52:13 pm »

Probably, but i don't usually use the smelter reactions unless i feel like being silly. Most of the time i use them to build blinding blue and yellow floors.

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 01:47:42 am »

Gypsum's pretty annoying too when it's around. The next version's making it useful though. Got to have it to make plaster for orthopedic casts.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 02:52:18 am »

Got to have [gypsum] to make plaster for orthopedic casts.
Whoa, wait what?
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 03:06:09 am »

Well, those things are included next version, and gypsum seems like the most logical ingredient for plaster, so... yeah.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 03:17:43 am »

I have this to add.

F**K YOU ALUNITE.
I like white stone if it's not in the sleeping areas. In fact, I'm using it as the sole (!) material for the cast of an artificial mountain.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 06:12:06 am »

All of those stones would be awesome if dwarves would hurry up and invent electrolysis to get aluminium. Then they could have steam-powered robots, and other things that Toady has sworn will never happen.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 01:07:15 pm »

He swore they would never be in vanilla. You could mod Alunite and Bauxite (most of the aluminum we use irl comes from bauxite, believe it or not) to produce aluminum in smelter reactions, then mod it's value to be like copper. Change aluminum to be used for weapons and armor and have fun.

As for steam powered robots, that would require a bit of hacking. Try the Spellcraft hack in the modding forum, I think he may have added in a way via magic runes to bring things to life. Note that Spellcraft is a hack program (there may be a mod by the same name) that changes how DF actually runs. Might do it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2010, 01:32:40 pm »

I feel obliged to note that it's easy enough to turn any stone you want into an ore of any metal you want, without mucking around with new reactions. Just add [METAL_ORE:{metal}:100] to the stone's entry in matgloss_stone_*.txt; don't need to regen, don't need to add new reactions, just mod the stone itself. I use that mostly for turning bulk stone into useful metals, like basalt/andesite/alunite to iron, but it'd be easy enough to turn bauxite/alunite into aluminium that way.

Edit: I really feel obliged to add something here. My map has a layer of soil, so I can farm things, a few layers of obsidian, a few more of marble, and ends with gabbro. I also have no iron to speak of, but sweet merciful Armok do I have a rich fort.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:08:47 pm by darthbob88 »

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2010, 04:04:14 pm »

Just add [METAL_ORE:{metal}:100] to the stone's entry in matgloss_stone_*.txt; don't need to regen, don't need to add new reactions, just mod the stone itself.

You can adjust the number to suit your own purposes as well; setting it very low makes it much less of an exploit and still disposes of the unwanted rock in the process. I will say, though, that anybody who wants to do this might want to leave THREAD_METAL:Adamantine at 100 at least until your chosen Extractor gets some experience; the sheer length of time it takes an unskilled Extractor to do even a single job balances it out a bit.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2010, 04:11:02 pm »

Oh gods, I'm not alone? I can say that?

*Breathe*

F*G you LIMESTONE and MALACHITE!

Honestly, at my tundra and water-less I have found 8 clusters of Bauxite (explored for gems),  14 veins of goddamn Malachite, 3 large clusters of Magnetite, I even got f*ggin' calcite, yet...

NO MINERAL COAL!

I buried through 5 layers already (top-most of the hills still giving hope), not even a damn vein of lignite.

ARRRRRGH, RAEG!

But I calm myself inhaling the smell of fresh burned wooden logs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:16:18 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Archaeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Predator Angrinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2010, 04:51:59 pm »

I'm just getting to grips with these layer types outlined in the wiki:
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Layer

It's quite rare to get a magma-pipe map with abundant iron, the way they work.  It's worth the time to look for an embark area that straddles different layer types, so you can get magma on one side of the map and iron on the other.

:-\  WHY DID I ABANDON AND DELETE YOU BRIDGEFIGHT?  WHY?  YOU WERE THE BEST FORTRESS I'VE EVER HAD.  YOU HAD A MAGMA PIPE THAT HAD CAVERN WALLS AROUND GROUND LEVEL AND KEPT THE FIRE IMPS OUT.  YOU WERE A MOUNTAIN MADE ALMOST ENTIRELY OF MARBLE AND OBSIDIAN.  YOU HAD A RIVER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STANDARD EMBARK MAP.  YOU WERE RIDDLED WITH IRON, GOLD, TETRAHYDRITE, COPPER AND LIGNITE.  YOU EVEN HAD A SMALL SECTION AT THE CORNER OF THE MAP NEAR THE FORTRESS ENTRANCE WITH TREES.  YOU HAD A BOTTOMLESS PIT! 

YOU HAD ADAMANTINE AT GROUND LEVEL, RIGHT NEXT TO THE VOLCANO, AND I FOUND YOU WITHIN 4 YEARS.  YOU WERE A VERITABLE 200 DORF CITY.  WHY DID I ABANDON YOU!?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5