Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Curse You Dolomite!  (Read 7736 times)

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
Re: Curse You Dolomite!
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 04:42:48 pm »

orcs got steel, isn't that better?
In order to get steel from the orcs, they need to be dead.  In order for them to die, you need to kill them.  In order for you to kill them, you need to be well armored.  In order to be well armored, you probably need steel or iron.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 04:46:57 pm »

orcs got steel, isn't that better?
In order to get steel from the orcs, they need to be dead.  In order for them to die, you need to kill them.  In order for you to kill them, you need to be well armored.  In order to be well armored, you probably need steel or iron.

Bah! Crossbows are where it is at!

Alternately, spear militia!
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Toxicles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kiss me I'm hazardous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 05:30:57 pm »

Pfah.  Stone fall traps.  Minimal effort, little maintenance beyond cleaning up the bodies before they start to smell bad.
Erush Kolokol cancels eat: on fire.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 06:02:18 pm »

I have this to add.

F**K YOU ALUNITE.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »

At least with molten rocks alunite becomes useful.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 07:06:27 pm »

Pfah.  Stone fall traps.  Minimal effort, little maintenance beyond cleaning up the bodies before they start to smell bad.
In no orc mod are they vulnerable to traps, unless you remove the tag (aka wuss out). You can still get them with megatraps, but those are a lot harder to build, especially in the season or so you have to prepare. I've gotten them with a drowning pit before, though it took me two more seasons to rig up the pumps to get the steel out.

You can take orcs with copper armor, it's just not... bright. Bronze armored champions are good enough, but leather or copper won't hold up against steel or crucible steel (depending on if you're using Orc or Dig Deeper mod)
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 07:29:43 pm »

1) Make bridge with a little pit under it.
2) Wait for orcs to get on bridge.
3) Raise.
4) Use as marksdwarf practice targets.
5) Extract steel. (Don't forget to display the +elf leather amulet+s to the elven merchants!)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 09:06:12 pm »

I get starter packs of iron and steel off the caravans (pikes, anvils, toy hammers), enough to equip a small squad.  Then I build iron walls from the goblinite and get more caravan steel.  I hardly need flux or iron anymore.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 07:05:28 am »

Screw any map with magma and their complete lack of bauxite. Screw them.

Also, I can never find anything better than copper ore all of a sudden.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 07:33:39 am »

I'm confused by all this cursing. I've repeatedly run into maps with magnetite clusters right next to a magma pipe, with plenty of iron bearing ore in dolomite instead of talc, and all that good stuff, plus bauxite.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 08:20:32 am »

The reason for the cursing is the fact Neruz has hit 30 fat lumps of worthless talc.

I hate alunite for turning up so goddamn often.

And nobody likes marble.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Toxicles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kiss me I'm hazardous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 09:10:10 am »

I like marble.
Erush Kolokol cancels eat: on fire.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 09:43:16 am »

I'm personally waiting for the caravan arc to roll around (pun intended), and then the days of the game expecting your fort to be entirely self-sufficient will be over, and you can just trade for whatever you need!

It'll be so great, I can hardly wait.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 03:45:56 pm »

You have to embark on maps with sedimentary rock to get iron, and magma rarely shows up around any of those layers. Deleting marble or removing it's flux tag lets you look for magma pipes on the edges of volcanic layers, so you can find maps with at least some sedimentary rock.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 04:08:05 pm »

You have to embark on maps with sedimentary rock to get iron, and magma rarely shows up around any of those layers. Deleting marble or removing it's flux tag lets you look for magma pipes on the edges of volcanic layers, so you can find maps with at least some sedimentary rock.

Hematite can be found in igneous extrusive. Not much, but it's there.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5