Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Items you now include in the embark.  (Read 6791 times)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Items you now include in the embark.
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2010, 06:27:08 am »

I keep one pick then I mass cats, and have my dwarves collect surface plants, my first 7 live very basic dangerous lives, but tend to eat a lot of kittens and make a lot of leather crafts to trade for essentials, like an anvil.

Why cats rather than dogs, unless you've modded them? If you're wanting to use them as a foodstuff and for raw materials (bones and leather for crafty stuff), it just seems a totally bizarre choice. Cats adopt their own owners and become unbutcherable after that, and instead of staying in a designated meeting area like dogs they've got a nasty habit of wandering all over the map and a butcher wastes FAR too much time chasing after the cat and dragging it off to be slaughtered (and it also has the risk of a cat and your butcher wandering a bit too close to a chasm or exposed magma pipe or something). Dogs of course can also be trained into war dogs at any time if you'd like to keep some of them, which you can't do with cats. Cats might eat vermin that'd cause bad thoughts for your dwarves but even just one or two cats are more than enough for that. While cats are a little bit cheaper than dogs, dogs are the better choice in most respects.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2010, 08:43:47 am »

I keep one pick then I mass cats, and have my dwarves collect surface plants, my first 7 live very basic dangerous lives, but tend to eat a lot of kittens and make a lot of leather crafts to trade for essentials, like an anvil.

Why cats rather than dogs, unless you've modded them? If you're wanting to use them as a foodstuff and for raw materials (bones and leather for crafty stuff), it just seems a totally bizarre choice. Cats adopt their own owners and become unbutcherable after that, and instead of staying in a designated meeting area like dogs they've got a nasty habit of wandering all over the map and a butcher wastes FAR too much time chasing after the cat and dragging it off to be slaughtered (and it also has the risk of a cat and your butcher wandering a bit too close to a chasm or exposed magma pipe or something). Dogs of course can also be trained into war dogs at any time if you'd like to keep some of them, which you can't do with cats. Cats might eat vermin that'd cause bad thoughts for your dwarves but even just one or two cats are more than enough for that. While cats are a little bit cheaper than dogs, dogs are the better choice in most respects.

Well SOMEONE doesnt understand the concept of "fun"
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2010, 08:53:21 am »

I'll sometimes bring three kimberlite blocks for the trade depot.

Yar. 3 Kimberlite for a nice, blue depot. Unless I have access to pitchblende. Then I bring about a hojillion pitchblende blocks and make everything in the fort out of Uranium.

Then I explain to people that my dwarves are so fucked up because they're all radioactive. . .

I so wish that radioactivity was somehow modelled so I can have radioactive dwarf-ghouls. :(
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Morgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2010, 09:47:17 am »

Cats are cheaper, and if you cage them, they can't adopt anyone. Then just seal the room they are in, deconstruct the cage remotely, and drop the kitties down several levels to kill them all, then go pick up the remains. Done deal.
Because it's so amusing to hear stories of the last recruit, pressganged into defending the fortress, making the critical shot that saves all the battle-hardened veterans... then going crazy because the cats have filled the dining room with miasma.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2010, 10:47:38 am »

Cats are cheaper, and if you cage them, they can't adopt anyone. Then just seal the room they are in, deconstruct the cage remotely, and drop the kitties down several levels to kill them all, then go pick up the remains. Done deal.

Meeeeeeeyoooowwwww................   *SPLORK*
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2010, 03:17:04 pm »

If you kill tame cats by dropping them, they can't be butchered. Dwarves don't eat roadkill (or other sentient beings) due to hardcoded stuff   :'(
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

its actually very simple, you build a door, dig a single channel, and drop cats inside, having the door only letting dwarves out. 1-2 cats out of 50 this way have a chance to adopt.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2010, 06:02:00 pm »

or better yet make an air lock, put the butchery in the airlock.  an extra kitty or two escape?  Butcher that one too..
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »

Couldn't you add [VERMINHUNTER] to cows or camels or something so that they'd perform the same function as a cat without the adoption disadvantage? You could add it to a dog, but then they might roam the map when they should be performing war animal duties. I'm not sure, worth finding out.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »

Doesn't the [verminhunter] tag cause adoption?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:26 pm »

Doesn't the [verminhunter] tag cause adoption?
Ooh, I thought maybe that the adoption was exclusive to cats or something. That would make more sense though, okay. :P

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2010, 08:39:19 pm »

Couldn't you add [VERMINHUNTER] to cows or camels or something so that they'd perform the same function as a cat without the adoption disadvantage? You could add it to a dog, but then they might roam the map when they should be performing war animal duties. I'm not sure, worth finding out.

What other people have said about the [VERMINHUNTER] is correct, however, if you give it to mules you will not have a mule explosion. Why? Because Mules don't breed, thus you only get the ones that you purchase or the ones that arrive as pets of immigrants. You can also neuter cats in the raws or drop their max age to 6, both of which will limit the potentials for cat explosions.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2010, 11:49:59 pm »

-Replace all food with turtles and lobster. No need to spend 4☼ on Plump Helmets when I can get 50% more food(and more variety) with Turtles and Cave Lobster. Or I can go pure turtles.
-Two dogs and two leashes. It allows me to make sure my entrance is 100% secure at all times(a single dog can wander off to one side and let a thief sneak past).
-Bags to store seeds. I get my farming industry up pretty quick, and I don't like seeds overflowing my stockpiles. If there is sand, I bring some for that as well.
-Sweet Pod seeds. They are the lifeblood of my fortress. Rum for drink and syrup for food.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2010, 11:57:57 pm »

I usually bring about a hundred logs, a hundred meat (usually fish, because it's cheap), an axe, two picks, seeds, two dogs, two horses, and about a hundred booze. I can pretty much manage any situation with that loadout, and I use it all the time. Occasionally I'll bring an anvil along by trading out something for it, but they cost so much that it's better to just wait until a caravan comes.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2010, 07:55:34 am »

Apart from the standard stuff (minus the axe of course): seeds of every type and turtles. Nothing fancy. Maybe I need to bring silk too, for artifacts, but trading for it is never really a problem.

I am thinking about going for just a pick and an axe for my next embark though. Keep everyone completely unskilled and see how far I get.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7