Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Items you now include in the embark.  (Read 6795 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Items you now include in the embark.
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2010, 01:21:11 pm »

2 miners
1 mason/stonecrafter
1 woodcutter/carpenter
1 planter/mechanic
1 planter/brewer/cook
1 leader

2 picks
1 axe
20ish tower caps
10 bauxite
31 of each booze
15 plump helmet
20 plump helmet spawn
10 of each other seed
5 turtles
5 cave lobster
1 of each cheap meat
6 war dogs
4 cages (1 to hold the cat and animals, 3 for early ambush detection)
6 rope
1 leather
1 silk
1 cloth
a couple bags
1 cat (caged ASAP until I have spare dwarves to haul dead vermin)
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 05:19:20 pm »

I usually bring an anvil, turtles, and a lot of tetrahedrite, since it's such a versatile ore. I can get low grade metal for making weapons plus a little silver, or I can make billon for crafts.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »

Little booze/food
4 cats and 4 dogs
Replace meat with turtles
A few dozen of each sort of seed
Copper bars and wood, to forge my own cheap axes

I don't bring much food because, well, I can make enough food. If I'm really desperate later, it's not hard to gather and fish your way back to full stomachs (that at least is one thing I took away from my peasantry embark). 4 cats because I slaughter the females, and want more than one cat.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 08:08:21 pm »

No picks!  No food!  No axe!  No anvil!  All wood!

...Final destination

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 08:53:48 pm »

Lots of wood. Not that hard, you make a couple of barrels, a roof and some beds, and then gather, fish, and hunt to set up industries. Trade for picks and such.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 11:07:55 pm »

Coal and turtles.

QFT.

I bring 50 wood now, instead of 150.  And I bring as much coal as I can stuff into the wagon after meeting my bare minimums.

Also, I drop the anvil and axes - no point to 'em.  I never get my metal industry up before the first caravan brings me an anvil.  And sometimes I'm not even ready then.  I wait until the humans come in Summer.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 11:17:03 pm »

I bring one kaolinite rock for my well or an important lever if I am going to include a draw bridge or something along those lines.

Just for the color?

Yep, just for the color.

My dwarves are:

2 Miners(one with Armor, Shield, and Sworddwarf for my future Leader of the Military)
1 mason with trading skills(don't remember them right now)
1 woodcutter with axedwarf skill for early defence
2 growers, one with skills in brewing
and one woodcrafter
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:51:05 pm by Cody1750 »
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:04 am »

-2 copper bars
-one anvil

thats pretty much all , but if i am playing normal :
-two random ore
-3 logs
-2 copper bars
-1 anvil
-SIX plump helmet spawn
-40 plump helmet(?)
-copper pick
-2 cats
-1 pig tail seed
and the rest for fuel(or dogs)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 09:13:51 am »

...I like to bring a bunch of stone blocks for my initial constructions of the still, the depot, the first mason's workshop, and the carpenter's workshop.

The building happy thoughts for making them out of blocks give me some leeway to get the groundwork going since I often don't bring anything else beyond 10 seeds of cave wheat, pigtails, and plump helmets, a pick (or two), and an axe.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2010, 03:16:51 pm »

I'll sometimes bring three kimberlite blocks for the trade depot.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 04:21:25 pm »

Ever since I got myself stuck in an embark situation without pick, stone, or axe, I've edited my embark profile to prevent that. No raw materials, no way of getting raw materials, not even a way of producing raw materials from nothing.
You have three wood and two animals no matter what happens. In most common biomes you can rely on fishing and herbalism/farming to bring in raw materials, and then maybe outfit one of your dwarves in leather and bone and give the local groundhogs a taste of dwarven military might. In some biomes you'll either die of thirst or angry skeletal monstrosties, true, but an empty wagon isn't necessarily a death sentence.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 04:40:28 pm »

You have three wood and two animals no matter what happens. In most common biomes you can rely on fishing and herbalism/farming to bring in raw materials, and then maybe outfit one of your dwarves in leather and bone and give the local groundhogs a taste of dwarven military might. In some biomes you'll either die of thirst or angry skeletal monstrosties, true, but an empty wagon isn't necessarily a death sentence.

A chasm will usually also give you silk. And armed with either that or animal leather from hunting or some rope reed, you can make bags and with sand and an exposed magma pipe you can make all manner of glass things.

You can do a surprising amount armed with nothing in the right setting.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 04:44:27 pm »

I keep one pick then I mass cats, and have my dwarves collect surface plants, my first 7 live very basic dangerous lives, but tend to eat a lot of kittens and make a lot of leather crafts to trade for essentials, like an anvil.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 11:42:08 pm »

Anvil, three picks, and some leather and silk cloth, because you really cannot ever have enough bags lying around.
Barrels, bins, and bags. But bags only if you have dye and/or glass industries. Still, usually need/want two per seed, which comes out to 28 (don't want rat weed, hide root, or prickle berry)

Usually bring 1 spidersilk either "just in case" or for the well.
Spoiler: Usual embark base (click to show/hide)
All that's really changed is toss in 1xspidersilk thread for mood purposes,  the more logs than 4(4+3=7 beds) and turtles. Also the occasional tetrahedrite for billon tricks.
I don't bring much food because, well, I can make enough food.
Most of us bring the tons of food for the shells, bones, and barrels. ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2010, 01:54:32 am »

Rope...

you can never have enough rope
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7