Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia 8: Game started in new thread (link here on last post)  (Read 13239 times)

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia 8: Now Open Late (signups)
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 12:18:22 am »

In for my third mafia and second BM.
Meh.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:35:18 am »

@Random.  Hmm.. well, workstudy= money and college = internet connection so you can't quit those.  As such, your best bet is to just ignore all of your classes.  Just don't go to any of them.

See?  Problem solved :D

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

SirBayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Riflepenguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 11:49:35 am »

I'd like to host. If I can't host, I'd like to be in!

Mafia is regaining my attention post-Christmas-break.
Dude, you don't want to be messing around with imperial assloads.  The conversion rate to horseloads is atrocious.
Rules are for suckers.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 12:01:02 pm »

I will also want 2 ICs.  ICs are nonplayers who act as coaches: one for the mafia, one for the town.  Instead, they will help the actual players gather themselves together, spot scum/town tells, learn about terminology, ext.
Dude... You're mixing up terms. 

ICs are NOT that.
http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=IC
http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Being_a_good_IC
They can comment freely on the game but should focus on developing good players, NOT winning the game.  The Town IC knows what the town knows and assists the town only.  The Mafia IC can speak to the mafia directly to assist them.  Note that the Mafia IC can speak to the town but can NOT harm them or misdirect them.  As such you do not have to fear either IC.

Note that though the ICs can speak as they wish, they are not there to win the game for you, only help you play better. 
*Alexhans headdesks repeatedly. 

Either you change the name of your "non-playing advisors" or you put them in the game as ICs...

But don't keep on misusing a term that has been invented long ago by another website.
While it makes sense to have the ICs post in color, or the host for that matter, it's also not something that Bay 12 hosts really do.  As such, it might be best to let them try to get used to host-like characters writing in normal text.
B12ers also usually did not do RVS.  B12ers also didn't make hammers.  B12ers also did free pming in all their games despite having confirmable town PRs. 

Tradition is no excuse to neglect good ideas.

When the mod posts in a different color it is very easy to recognize.  And it's easier still to post in a different color hosts should have no trouble...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 12:12:41 pm »

The reason why I'm opposing this so virulently is because I find colored text in general extremely hard to read.  It is stated in the OP that "IC's" (or whatever we are now) do not actually play in the game itself.  Can't we at least expect people to read the damned rules?

I mean, I'd rather be required to start every post with "I AM AN ADVISOR, NOT A PLAYER" than post in colored font.  Color is terrible on the eyes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 12:19:48 pm »

that's a valid reason, vector.  Tradition, however, is not.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 01:19:23 pm »

We're not Mafiascum.  I don't need to coordinate Bay 12 terms with them.  They started off the same as Mafiascum ICs then morphed into what you see now.  The novices seem to get the difference well enough and they work much better outside looking in than trying to play.

So no, I won't change.  Now go headdesk somewhere else: you're scaring the newbies.

As for the coloring: it's not tradition, but how the other games work NOW.  BM uses deadlines because most of the other games use deadlines now.  BM advocates RVS because Bay 12 currently considers it a good idea.  When there was a push to put hammers in, I considered changing BM to offer hammers, but that died out so BM stayed deadlines.

When I start seeing OTHER bay 12 games use coloring, BM will have host-colored text.  Until then, having the newbies used to that coloring only to have every other game use noncolored text is meh.

@SirBayer

You can host this one if you so wish.

What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 01:26:31 pm »

So no, I won't change.  Now go headdesk somewhere else: you're scaring the newbies.
Yes... they must be terrified by now...  ::)
Just give them a different name... Everytime you say IC I'll say "that's not an IC"

Please, do tell me... what does I C stands for?  How is it consistent with what you make them to be?
As for the coloring: it's not tradition, but how the other games work NOW.  BM uses deadlines because most of the other games use deadlines now.  BM advocates RVS because Bay 12 currently considers it a good idea.  When there was a push to put hammers in, I considered changing BM to offer hammers, but that died out so BM stayed deadlines.
Your argumentation keeps failing...

You're just doing things based on what other people do instead of what might be best for the players and the game.

Vector just gave a good reason not to make colored text.  You don't need to say... No one is doing it... I'm ashamed of doing it myself.

When I start seeing OTHER bay 12 games use coloring, BM will have host-colored text.
There have been colored hosts (including me) but never mind.  That's not the point.  The point is that you shouldn't do things based just on what other people do.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »

Please, do tell me... what does I C stands for?  How is it consistent with what you make them to be?
Their still Inexperience Challenged - they're just non-players.

I believe we stopped having IC players due to the time when both ICs were scum (Apostolic Nihilist did nearly save the game for the town, but scum won in the end).

Also, I thought the point of having coloured host text was because hosts obtain mod powers in mafiascum, and thus add votecounts to posts and stuff in their colour.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 01:45:58 pm »

No... there's a lot of mods who don't use colored text in mafiascum...

I used a dark color like dark blue to differentiate myself and still be readable.

EDIT:  Inexperience Challenged who are not really challenged because they're not really playing the game.  They're just giving advice to the players without fearing a lynch.  Dangerous.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 02:11:19 pm »

Alexhans, that isn't what Inexperienced Challenged is meant to mean.  It is to "Experienced" what "Vertically Challenged" is to "Short".

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 02:37:59 pm »

I know, leaf...

I get the handicapped pun.

Still... Inexperience Challenged is a term for players who have been around a while, who wish to sign up for a Newbie Game.

Not commentators.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »

In again.

I'll getcha this time, Glyph :P
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Therion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 03:49:13 pm »

First ever mafia. In if I may.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 04:23:41 pm »

Yeah, ya oughta be more careful of Glrlrlrlryyphpygrlrbpspbvvppypph.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7