Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress and Zork: Separated by Time?  (Read 1445 times)

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress and Zork: Separated by Time?
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:23:54 pm »

Anyone familiar with exploring the Great Underground Empire must know that it was built by Dwarves.  There's windy passages, flood control dams (though it's not just operated by a lever...) and all manner of crafts goods (and a platinum bar!) and even a volcano.  If there was ever a Best of Dwarf Fortress world, it would have to include a GUE dark fortress for adventurers to explore.  Of course, that would require Toady to include hot air balloons...  The gnomes would need to be modded to be able to run the bank, though.  I wonder if you could build a silver wall behind a glass wall to make the giant mirror.  Maybe it's time for a project.

Any other Zork fans notice any similarities?
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

FrostGiantsDaughter

Re: Dwarf Fortress and Zork: Separated by Time?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:39:20 pm »

Yeah, there are some. DF draws a lot of inspiration from IF and early roguelikes. What other games are like DF anyway?

TSED

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 10:41:21 pm »

I notice tons of Dwarf Fortress parallels in practically every piece of media involving an underground segment these days.

From Metropolis (the early 1920s silent film!) to Torchwood, the presence of dwarven work is everywhere.

FrostGiantsDaughter

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:43:49 pm »

I notice tons of Dwarf Fortress parallels in practically every piece of media involving an underground segment these days.

From Metropolis (the early 1920s silent film!) to Torchwood, the presence of dwarven work is everywhere.

Dude, you might have Dwarf on the brain. It's a common disease 'round here.

TSED

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:09:57 pm »

You watch Metropolis (not the anime, the silent film) and just try to NOT see the following:

- Happy thoughts / unhappy thoughts.
- Mandates
- Subsidized housing
- Throwing a party
- Tantruming (breaking of machines, workshops, etc.)
- WRONG LEVER PULLED
- Has gone berserk
- Clothing rush
- Tantrum spirals

And more.  Really.  My friend and I could do nothing but make DF jokes for the latter half of the movie, but the first half is a little more sparse with it.

I'm getting off topic though.  So.  How's that Zork?

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 05:44:14 am »

Hopefully, there's no Grue in DF. Yet. Imagine, when proper lighting will have been implemented :

A section of the cavern has collapsed !
Urist McExplorer, Marksdwarf, cancel Explore Underground : Light source missing or destroyed.
Urist McExplorer, Marksdwarf, has been struck down.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 05:49:17 am »

Hopefully, there's no Grue in DF. Yet. Imagine, when proper lighting will have been implemented :

A section of the cavern has collapsed !
Urist McExplorer, Marksdwarf, cancel Explore Underground : Light source missing or destroyed.
Urist McExplorer, Marksdwarf, has been struck down.

The grue won't eat you if you don't move!

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:58:47 am »

That's what they want you to believe.

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 09:07:15 am »

rofl  :D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 03:16:28 am »

Clearly.  As I have eaten adventurers by both having them walk backwards into me with a still present lightsource as well as eaten an unmoving one with no light source.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 07:08:45 pm »

The lack of grues in DF is seriously disturbing.  And trophy cases, I think we need trophy cases.  For those of you who may not be caught up on your Zork history, here's a helpful primer:

http://quendor.robinlionheart.com/docs/zork1

The lack of workable mazes and labyrinths (short of using pressure plates to fiddle with the path-finding) is also unfortunate.  I think we need more giant labyrinths and twisty passages, all alike.

Maybe with the next release, I'll build a DF version of the Great Underground empire.  A little white house, a grate, a platinum bar, some evil demons, it should be easy.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.