Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I was watching Animal Planet...  (Read 2513 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
So I was watching Animal Planet...
« on: December 30, 2009, 06:08:46 pm »

While watching Animal Planet, a short thing about deadly animal attacks came on, and this elephant busted out of its cage and immediately begins assaulting a park employee, I didn't even think to feel sorry for the guy, instead, I thought of Dwarf fortress.

Is this a normal reaction, after playing Dwarf Fortress for a long time? Like... Human to Dwarf conversion... o.o..
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I was watching Animal Planet...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:11:31 pm »

Well if the park employee was treating the elephant badly, he probably got what was coming to him.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:12:08 pm »

People talk about the internet turning you into an emotional husk. Here, we don't have memes or racism or any other of the "conventional" internet properties but we do it through the use of DF.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:17:35 pm »

The elephant was just angry. >_> It was being treated fairy.

Well, I understand what the internet does to people, but I have realized he lack of... normal internet jokes, and more or less DF jokes. I don't post a lot, but I read a lot, and it seems people create recurring jokes about, Elephants, Elves, Magma... etc.

I love Animal Planet though. >_>

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:23:05 pm »

We are a very different community then the rest of the internet, which is probably why I have been rejected by other communities. I can see why, we have a serious yet humorous approach of things and Toady likes to keep it. I have been involved with the folks at Tyranid mod for the last year. Their admins didn't control stuff as well as toady did and their Spam thread grew and took over to Forum, after a while a flame war erupted, many people left and they payed the price. I have known veterans of this war and they don't want to see it again, though they revel in Spam.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 06:28:47 pm »

Well, the community here makes me laugh, and mostly, I really like it. They don't make crazy announcements, nor do they become trolls. I should post more often. >_>

I like it how I relate things on Television to this game. To me, I think the game requires a bit of imagination to make it more interesting.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:20:06 pm »

Well, animals are a lot like people, Urist McSimpsonReference.  Some of them act badly because they've had a hard life, or have been mistreated...but, like people, some of them are just jerks.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:32:24 pm »

Here, we don't have memes or racism or any other of the "conventional" internet properties but we do it through the use of DF.
Killing elves just because they're elves (unless they bring us bears or giant scorpions to guard our fortresses)
Blood thirsty demon carp
Ninja elephants of ages past
Urist McDwarf
Noble mandate-processing levers
Thermonuclear catplosions
Magma
Clowns
Ironblood, Morul, Cacame *cough* Boatmurdered
Goblinite, the other iron ore
Tantrum spirals

What do you mean memes or racism through DF, you mean you don't normally do this? ::)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:36:25 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:33:45 pm »

I don't get the clown joke. =/

Reading BoatMurdered was the funniest hour of my life.

As for Elves... I don't see why people don't like them, I mean, sure, they're pompous hippies who like trees, but they can be cool... Sorta... >_>

Actually, no, elves are mostly bad, except when you play as them in adventure mode, with metal weapons.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 01:33:26 am »

Elves are cool only when they bring loads of wood and cool animals. Otherwise I refer to them as "Test Subjects"

I wonder, having empty wood piles causes traders to bring more wood. Would empty animal piles cause elves to bring more animals?
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 08:25:37 am »

Elves are cool only when they bring loads of wood and cool animals. Otherwise I refer to them as "Test Subjects"

I wonder, having empty wood piles causes traders to bring more wood. Would empty animal piles cause elves to bring more animals?
I dont think it does. In one fort I had a pile full of goblins, named beak dogs and the like. Yet the elves still brought me an awesome lot of annimals. In only a few years: breeding pairs of foxes, bears, wolves and even unicorns. Since then I adopted a policy of looking what they have before Pulling The Lever  ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 08:49:43 am »

I don't get the clown joke. =/

Clowns = HFS creatures, it's a replacement word used to hide a probable "spoiler".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 01:55:54 pm »

Ohh, I hate them. >_>

The term 'Clowns' seem appropriate though. ^^

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 02:51:45 pm »

I actually dislike calling them clowns but the name appears to have stuck with many other people. :P

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 03:27:08 pm »

Hm... Maybe you should try to start a trend of calling them something else? O_o

That's what I would do. >_>

Pages: [1] 2