Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Mode: Skill for Military: Discipline  (Read 805 times)

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Mode: Skill for Military: Discipline
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

If a leads a squad, they gain skill in this. The more skill they have, the better they are at getting their squad members to their points when put on duty.

The higher a squad leader has this skill the more troops he can directly lead ie, he can have 100 dwarves directly under him. As oppsed to having 5 dwarves under him with 5 dwarves under each of them. Or perhaps the 5 under 5 would be harder to control.

Squad members can gain this skill while being in a squad. And while being in a squad, this is how well they follow orders.

Thoughts?

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Re: DF Mode: Skill for Military: Discipline
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

I like it. Maybe could also decrease the chance of a dwarf charging alone a enemy,  getting out of post to eat, etc... When the army arc is in, you could choose generals to command sieges.. would be awesome to have this skill.

jonnym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

this would fit perfectly with the army arc, i could see this actually being implemented in to the game. However you could expand on what the increase in this skill could give to the player, it seems that it could effect advanced military tactics eg adept genrals could order his marksdwarfs to fire in volleys at specific targets instead of the sqaud firing randomly at the closest target.

maybe we could order the genral to intimidate the enemy and strike fear in to the hearts of the puny elves! or tell them to cower and flee inside where the enemy could be trapped and slaugtered!

I like this idea, i really hope this would be put in the game with army arc

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »

Only if the problem with entire squads following their squad leader to bed is eliminated.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Only if the problem with entire squads following their squad leader to bed is eliminated.</STRONG>

Seconded.

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

I'm thinking Toady would be addressing that in the army arc.

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

Sounds great, it could also be used as a skill for a noble position which would deal with army stuff like mandating weapon/ammo being made. possibly mandating dwarfs be drafted. among other stuff.

Tactical could be another skill for the squad leaders. this skill could open a tactical menu in the squad window. there could be options to have them wait till a certain distance from the enemy to charge, another could be not to wander to far from the xbows. as they level up with this skill new options could open up.

The two skills could work together, if there is low discipline in the squad it could make the tactics of the squad sloppy and they would wander off chasing an opponent when they should stay close to the xbows.

Could also work in adventure mode so your whole party can move at the slowest members speed, and like above can tell them to stick together, hold there position and the like.

WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

Ah, very nice, i like that idea Zulaf.