Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: runescape difficulty of the gameplay  (Read 2221 times)

goforgoldaay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
runescape difficulty of the gameplay
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:45:00 am »

The difficulty of the gameplay itself is not shaped for younger players. A certain level of maturity is in fact really needed to play RuneScape to the full extent, as the game has some quite complex gameplay, puzzles and plots, which older players are more likely to appreciate. Finally, RuneScape is set in a traditional fantasy setting with the usual combat and conflict, so we only recommend the game for players aged 13+ (i.e. if you wouldn't want your kids to watch "Lord of the Rings", you probably wouldn't want them to play RuneScape).

toad: Same spammer that has been recurring here...  this time they actually have "China, customer service" in their profile, so we've seen an increase in the honesty level.  We can only hope a cathartic moment is in the spammer's future.  Incidentally, when I was assisting at a math summer program a year or two ago, all the 6th to 8th graders fired up Runescape in the labs there on the day when they were free to use the computers as they saw fit.  I hadn't heard of the game before that, and then I saw it being played on 30 screens at once.  So although the spammer insists Runescape is not shaped for or cannot be fully appreciated by younger players, it is certainly designed for them to some extent.  Many of these kids were 11 or 12, rather than 13+.  Not that I'd want them to watch Lord of the Rings.  If they want dwarf tossing, they should use DF drawbridges.

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: runescape difficulty of the gameplay
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:02:00 am »

Ahgrgrg!!!!!!!!  :roll:
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

Ah, good old Monty Python: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7YedEopp4
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 02:25:00 pm »

Ill copy myself from the other runescape thread:

God, Armok. Please. Make blood juice out of runescapers.

Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »

HOW I MINE FISH!!!1111???
This is not a signature.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kyselina:
<STRONG>Ill copy myself from the other runescape thread:

God, Armok. Please. Make blood juice out of runescapers.</STRONG>

Sure, I just need you to provide me whit the "Runeescaper" telesubmagfical profile so I can calibrate the homing algorithm of the divine elephants, or in the languish of mortals, give me an description of how an runeescaper smells that an grey capital E can understand, Goding is not as easy as it seems, you see.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One the Great:
<STRONG>Not that I'd want them to watch Lord of the Rings.  If they want dwarf tossing, they should use DF drawbridges.</STRONG>

There's something I should add to my TODO list: flingify() into lake.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »

I played runescape a while ago. Gameplay is good, but the people are idiots, generally speaking. They need a new fanbase IMO. Hmm, I wonder if we could have a competition in the next version. Build a rube-goldberg device to throw a dwarf into a filled refuse pile  :p

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

Aye, the gameplay is great, and the developers are a good team. Lots of stuff to do, never a lack of content. If you find it to your liking then the game is great fun, and the fun is the most important part.

Unfortunatly, yes the community (at least on the free side) is an epic cesspool. But its free so i guess ye cant complain....

Also, LOVE the "excaped lunatic" tag  :D nice work

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
<STRONG>I played runescape a while ago. Gameplay is good, but the people are idiots, generally speaking. They need a new fanbase IMO. Hmm, I wonder if we could have a competition in the next version. Build a rube-goldberg device to throw a dwarf into a filled refuse pile   :p

[ October 16, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]</STRONG>

Thanks alot. Now I'm spinning ideas already.

But obviously it needs something that maims a goblin in the middle of it!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

I actually liked Runescape for it's potential. You could do things other than bash the shit out of everyone else in pvp or do stupid quests. Of course, most people were kids, so the social bit was sadly lacking.

...and then I found Dwarf Fortress, and didn't look back.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 09:23:00 am »

Runescape is by far the best java based browser game i've seen. The community, howevr, like said before, sucks.

For example being followed by somebody who demanded that i fished his tree because he needed an arrow. For 3 hours.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

I was pretty seriously sexually harassed on Runescape during, like, the thirty minutes I played it at a friend's insistence.  That was fun, most guys don't get that experience.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »

LMAO!  Yeah, in a moment of carelessness, I made a female avatar for Runescape when I started, and was bemused by total strangers walking up and saying "hey u wanna b my gf?"  I actually had a lot of fun with the game - until I discovered the awesomeness of DF.  I found killing NPCs with a scimitar somehow...therapeutic.  

Still trying to figure out the "fished his tree because he needed an arrow," though.

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

Maybe I'll go play runescape as a female character.  And when hit on mention something about being a fat balding middle aged man in real life. (I'm not actually fat or balding)
Pages: [1] 2