Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Memory editing apps and Steam VAC Bans  (Read 5923 times)

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
Memory editing apps and Steam VAC Bans
« on: December 30, 2009, 06:22:09 am »

I distinctly remember a topic posted on these forums about a user who ran a Steam game (I believe it was TF2) while using one of the DF memory editing apps. He ended up getting VAC banned, but it was lifted after he sent in a steam support ticket and explained what happened. Does anyone have a link to that topic? I need it for another forum.

Thanks in advance. :)
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Memory editing apps and Steam VAC Bans
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:24:59 am »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:38:35 am »

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:48:14 am »

Dem bastards didn't lift the ban. And the arrogance! "We do not lift bans.  VAC does not make mistakes."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:46:10 am »

First off.. Dasleah that is the most absolutely amazingly hilarious thing I've ever seen.

/loveValve

Second.. IMO, I think a lot of the "protection" stuff especially a couple years ago, got hugely out of hand.

Read that ENTIRE thing on the VAC ban and... It made me pissed off, however when you live in a world where everyone wants to make money and your fellow man would kill you at the chance of having a great deal of money or power given to them... what could you expect?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:04:52 am »

First off.. Dasleah that is the most absolutely amazingly hilarious thing I've ever seen.

Yes.  I got a good kick out of that too. :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:23:09 am »

Heh problem with the hacks thing is half the time Valve doesn't detect them.  Don't get me wrong, I think valve does a pretty good job with it, I haven't seen a single anti cheat program that works all the time.  And VAC at least does it without being a massive pain in the ass like Gameguard.

But false positives are annoying.  I used to play Phantasy Star Universe (a subscription online RPG) I was modifying my option settings to try to get better frames while my graphics card was set up to display the frame rate so I have a better idea if a setting worked.  Halfway through the process I got kicked and after logging back in I had a very suspicious GM sending tells asking me what I was doing.  The FPS display was detected as a cheat tool. Could have been worse I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:24:45 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:49:56 am »

If you really want to cheat, why not write a bot that takes input from analyzing the surround sound output and the screen image, and then returns input through a false USB keyboard and mouse?

Code it well, and it could be indistinguishable from a regular player. Code it really well, and it could beat some of the better/best without being detected as a cheat.

Alternatively, why not modify an old USB mouse, and turn it into a quick turn panel, with buttons that instantly turn 90° in either direction, 180°, and can set the view angle(by looking all the way up and then down to the desired angle), and put it within reach?
Eh?
Eh!

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:50:46 am »

Bah why not program a full AI, upload it into a satellite (safe place) and teach it to play games? Oh and name it like SkyLan or SkyInet for bonus points :D

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 02:23:35 pm »

VAC indeed is one of the less obnoxious such programs out there.

Though it thankfully doesn't issue bans, the "anti-cheat" software which comes with Cabal Online will kill Skype on sight. I forget which it is, offhand...

The question is: Why run a DF memory editor while playing TF2 or anything VAC would care about?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 02:57:18 pm »

If you really want to cheat, why not write a bot that takes input from analyzing the surround sound output and the screen image, and then returns input through a false USB keyboard and mouse?

Code it well, and it could be indistinguishable from a regular player. Code it really well, and it could beat some of the better/best without being detected as a cheat.

There's a guy out there who rented a warehouse, bought 50 computers, 50 copies of Ultima Online, set up a simple mining bot, and sold gold.

They had simple ways of detecting GMs and simple methods of avoiding them, eg. [GM Has entered zone] [Bot99: Gotta go to the bathroom, brb] [Bot99 has logged out]

But the GMs, being human, got smart, so the guy coded his bots a little better.

The GMs stated using new human identification methods.

The bots got better.

The GMs started using methods that a computer can not solve: "What color is this wand?" as they equip and wave around one of several colored wands.  A bot is incapable of recogizing what object it should be looking at to determine what pixel values to sample.

The guy coded his bots better:
[GM has entered the zone]
[Bot99 sends a text message]
[Guys phone vibrates, guy gets up, goes downstairs, sits down at the computer and....]
[GM: What color is this wand?]
[Bot99: Green.  Seen any bots lately?]