Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better ways of reading legends  (Read 651 times)

StrangeMood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better ways of reading legends
« on: December 30, 2009, 06:10:01 am »

Hi all,

Loving this game, the way the game generates a world in particular got my attention (that, and magma ofc ;) ). Generated worlds have a Tolkien like feel to them. One could imagine many stories being written in those worlds. (let's face it, LOTR would've been much better with more magma!)

I really like to read through legends and indulge myself in these awesome worlds. I encounter the problem of the cumbersome interface, though. I don't think the game's current manner of displaying the legends data is appropriate for the amount of data available.

The point of this thread is, I was wondering if there are programs / mods that make reading through the legends easier. I apologize if this is noobdwarf's question :)

regards,
StrangeMood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better ways of reading legends
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:16:37 am »

None that I know of. Frontend-esque programs are only just growing right now (DF's first realtime visualiser hasn't had long since it's first stable release), and I doubt anyone's got around to making something as auxillary as what you're suggesting as of yet.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if making one was possible... the issue is that while we do have a memory access library floating around somewhere, reading legends mode might not be quite the same thing as reading from the game in realtime, as you might have to read from the savefile instead of the game itself. Here's hoping, anyway.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 05:29:17 am »

...(let's face it, LOTR would've been much better with more magma!)...

Proof of concept: The most noticeable factor in the most epic scene in the movie? Magma.
Everything else in that scene had appeared many times together in the movie before, so magma was the only possible reason for that scene to be epic.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:30:52 am by Eagle0600 »
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:46:36 am »

At some point you'll be able to export legends to XML, which will greatly facilitate third-party stuff:

I told somebody I'd consider an xml dump of the legends for this release, and I'm going to do that, but I'm going to have to skip it if it looks time-consuming.

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:52 am »

Hasn't someone written a Perl script to parse the legends and output into a more readable form?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:55:40 am »

Hasn't someone written a Perl script to parse the legends and output into a more readable form?

That would be Mephansteras' log parser, but I don't think it was supposed to parse legends. I think it was 'exported logs' from legends screen (those files you get after pushing 'p')
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.