Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creatures refusing to show up  (Read 1553 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creatures refusing to show up
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:22:17 am »

Following is an example of a creature that the game stubbonly refuses to generate. It's reading the file apparently as it should, putting it in data\objects, but never once actually placing an instance of the creature in any world I generate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the entire file. I have two other files, both with similar filenames to this one, suffering from the same issue. Some of the creatures therein are absolutely nothing like the one here.

The formatting shouldn't be an issue, as I have other files with silly comments formatted in and they don't have any problems. It's not a case of having too many files in the folder or anything either, as a more recent file I created works fine. Copying the creature to another file doesn't help, so there must be something wrong with the entry itself.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures refusing to show up
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 08:25:19 am »

Well, for one, the beginning tag should be OBJECT:CREATURE, rather than OBJECT_CREATURE.

Anyway, you'll need to add some tags for population info. Easiest, and what I assume you'll want, would be to add the [MEGABEAST] tag.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:26:27 am »

Well, for one, the beginning tag should be OBJECT:CREATURE, rather than OBJECT_CREATURE.

Bahahahahaha.

Alright, that should fix it.

Then again, it might not. The other files are correct in that regard.

Also, it should already have the megabeast tag.

Edit: Yep, that worked. The others still don't seem to be showing up in exported records - I'm guessing that they're just not surviving worldgen for some reason, but that should be fixable, just a matter of balance.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:31:46 am by 3 »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:33:51 am »

Just noticed that it indeed has, after wondering why it still shows up as a megabeast when trying to test other tags for it. Oops. :-[

Anyway, the creature does show up for me after that change. Only error I get comes from the fact that I don't have a CANINES definition, but it sure appears as a megabeast. Are you using smaller world sizes to test it?

Edit:
Edit: Yep, that worked. The others still don't seem to be showing up in exported records - I'm guessing that they're just not surviving worldgen for some reason, but that should be fixable, just a matter of balance.
Best way to check then is to stop worldgen early. They should appear in the legends if they exist.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:36:31 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:46:35 am »

I've tried. One of the entries uses an experimental body structure that I've been dying to try out, but is an AMBUSHPREDATOR, and I'm not sure how they show up in records.

As for the others... set one to FREQUENCY:100 and POPULATION_NUMBER:40:40, ended worldgen at year 2, generated a few worlds... got nothing. There aren't any glaring errors with the files. The only explanation I can come up with is that they're all in chasms where they're unlisted, or something.

Actually, having said that, I'll take that out of their biome list.

...nope, still nothing. Strange.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:48:57 am by 3 »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:28 am »

Following is an example of a creature that the game stubbonly refuses to generate. It's reading the file apparently as it should, putting it in data\objects,

Did you mean the part which I flagged in bold and red?  If so, the file should go into raw\objects.  The game will then generate the required file under data\objects.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:29:04 am »

I've tried. One of the entries uses an experimental body structure that I've been dying to try out, but is an AMBUSHPREDATOR, and I'm not sure how they show up in records.

As for the others... set one to FREQUENCY:100 and POPULATION_NUMBER:40:40, ended worldgen at year 2, generated a few worlds... got nothing. There aren't any glaring errors with the files. The only explanation I can come up with is that they're all in chasms where they're unlisted, or something.

Actually, having said that, I'll take that out of their biome list.

...nope, still nothing. Strange.
I've had an ambush predator megabeast that showed up perfectly fine in Legends mode, and ambush predators that showed up perfectly fine in the exported files, so it seems there is another problem, still. I've had similar problems occasionally myself. In those cases, I generally copied a working entry and rebuilt the creature from that. Not sure why that would happen, though. Maybe try to delete the data\objects folder, as well, so that the files are re-generated.

Did you mean the part which I flagged in bold and red?  If so, the file should go into raw\objects.  The game will then generate the required file under data\objects.
I think you're misreading what 3 said - the generated file was put correctly in the data\objects folder.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 09:32:39 am »

The fatalistic anthromorph opts to touch you in the upper right arm!
It is mangled!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 11:28:49 am »

I think you're misreading what 3 said - the generated file was put correctly in the data\objects folder.

You are correct, I found the statement unclear as to who, or what, put the file under data\objects.  It would have explained the symptoms, however.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »

[LARGE_ROAMING]

Do they have it?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 01:09:41 am »

Yep. Well, some of them have LARGE_ROAMING, some have LARGE_PREDATOR.

I'll try rebuilding one and see if it works.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 04:19:45 pm »

By the way, I fixed this.

What all of the erroring entries had in common was the DIFFICULTY tag - I'm not sure why I had it on there in the first place, but it seems to break non-megabeasts.