Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: I can only assume the worst.  (Read 8926 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can only assume the worst.
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2009, 11:06:39 pm »

Hm. I'll have to poke my newsreader about not showing me the dev log...

The very reason flu vaccines haven't ever been foolproof - well, the biggest one - is that the flu virus, in general, mutates so fast that there are always new strains out there. Any given year's influenza mortality rates is going to include all of them - there's often not much point in separating individual strains unless they are unusually virulent. Yes, one tends to dominate any given year, but the others are not entirely insignificant.

Swine flu is notable for that virulence; yes, it's common this year, but it's still not the only deal in town.

Also, 22 years is an awfully long time to average over, concerning relatively modern advances in medical science.

As for vaccines - any vaccine has a calculated risk of triggering the infection it's intended to prevent, because the only way to do it is to try to heat-kill or otherwise disable the viruses and inject them. Anything guaranteed to render them noninfectious would destroy the markers that the immune system needs to recognize the virus at all.

And in this day and age, "acceptable margin of risk" is shrinking into oblivion.

Public awareness of this one is spawning vastly increased caution, which is going to distort the figures to some degree or other. The same cautions in place for H1N1 could help with any influenza epidemic; but not the public nor the medical establishment can maintain that vigilance forever.

Especially not with corporations generally expecting their employees to come to work unless physically unable to perform their jobs, and requiring documentation of even that to be provided at employee expense.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2009, 11:27:36 pm »

My statistic for United States influenza was averaged over the 22 years.  The 1 million figure was not, it is a constant.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2009, 11:41:30 pm »

I would suggest that you fine sirs continue your discussion in another thread.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2010, 12:03:46 am »

This topic started out being related to Toady One's flu.  His flu is H1N1.  We're talking about H1N1, I fail to see a problem here.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2010, 12:09:13 am »

Quote from: piecewise
Over reported for the current strain's harmfulness? Yeah. Inferior? No. Placebo? no. I've personally seen a few people die of H1N1, one of which was 22 and in perfect health before he got sick. He walking into the hospital in the morning with a cough and was critical by the time I left at light. There was another one in canada who died in less then 7 hours. So no, it's not an inferior virus or anything like that. What it is is a nasty flu which hits younger people harder then the normal flu. Is it a plague? Nah. Is it harmless? nope.

Here are the facts I've been able to gather:

On average 41,400 people died each year in the United States between 1979 and 2001 from influenza.
In the United States alone, 41 thousand a year.
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

Looking up the total number of moralities from H1N1 and I get a figure ranging from 12,121 to 36,000 for the worlds mortality rate.  With only 3000 being in North America.  This is compared to the Worlds average influenza mortality rate being at 1 000 000.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic

My basis that the H1N1 vaccine is hogwash is based on Poland banning the entire vaccine and German population reluctance to even take it.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZVPazHYqQ
The real thing that makes H1N1 "scary" is the fact that it tends to kill younger and supposedly safer people. It's not the number of people, it's who. Like I said, it's not something we have to be terrified about but it's not just something you can shrug off as a complete lie.

As per the vaccine? I would have to blame the media for that one as well. This vaccine has the same effectiveness and potential side effects of the other flu vaccines so why is it this particular one they're rallying against? It's just hype in both directions. But whatever, not the place or time for this. All I can say is what I say to parents who don't vaccinate their kids.

"Inject yourself with whatever disease you think is harmless or not worth the immunization and then let me know what you think."

Also, google "group immunity" and extrapolate that. Thats all I'm gonna say on that, at least in this thread.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2010, 12:37:29 am »

I can pick no hairs from that finely weaved argument. 

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2010, 02:08:02 am »

I'm actually still recovering from H1N1 myself!

Definitely not fun.

It hit full force almost two weeks ago and I still have a bit of a cough. At first I had a fever of 104, and I don't remember those two days.   :o

After that the fever died down and I felt significantly better...for a brief time. But I was not better yet. For about a day I felt like I was swiftly recovering but after that I came down with horrific chest congestion and my fever went back up to 102-103. It was like that for about 4 days.

So I had a very high fever for almost an entire week, and such bad chest congestion that I could barely breath for a time.

It was seriously bad enough where I was considering going to the hospital, and I don't have any insurance. Bankruptcy or death? I'll take the bankruptcy.  :P

I got better on my own though. There's still a slight lingering cough, but I'm getting over it.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2010, 03:39:28 am »

Dammit, I knew it was a bad idea for him to code in all these medical conditions without adding proper medicine.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2010, 04:39:29 am »

Just popping in to wish Toady a speedy recovery. I too have been felled by a nasty bug couple of years ago and it sure as hell weren't the two finest weeks of my life. So, veel beterschap!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:15 am »

12/31/2009: Hello from H1N1 land. I haven't managed to get a note up since I've been away from my computer and I'm going to be away for a few more days while I recover, but I had to come back to pay rent today so I thought I'd get something up in addition to the note Zach left over in the list thread. I wasn't actually planning to take any more time off after Christmas day itself, but I've been staying over with my family so they can monitor my health, and I'm in no condition to work anyway. I also can't check my email/messages there since I'm not allowed to contaminate their keyboards. At least I can keep fluids down now. Scamps is having a blast with his extended vacation, surrounded by new toys and pieces of my mom's plants that he has chewed off. Anyway, my eyes are starting to hurt again and I've got people waiting. Hopefully I made sense and stuff.

If he's stranded at his folks home, and they won't let him use the computers there, how did he write that update o_O ?

Perhaps...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:51:17 am by quintin522 »
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2010, 05:31:22 am »

12/31/2009: Hello from H1N1 land. I haven't managed to get a note up since I've been away from my computer and I'm going to be away for a few more days while I recover, but I had to come back to pay rent today so I thought I'd get something up in addition to the note Zach left over in the list thread. I wasn't actually planning to take any more time off after Christmas day itself, but I've been staying over with my family so they can monitor my health, and I'm in no condition to work anyway. I also can't check my email/messages there since I'm not allowed to contaminate their keyboards. At least I can keep fluids down now. Scamps is having a blast with his extended vacation, surrounded by new toys and pieces of my mom's plants that he has chewed off. Anyway, my eyes are starting to hurt again and I've got people waiting. Hopefully I made sense and stuff.

If he's stranded at his folks home, and they won't let him use the computers there, how did he write that update o_O ?

Perhaps...

Whilst

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:33:07 am by zxcvmnb »

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2010, 11:01:04 am »

I haven't managed to get a note up since I've been away from my computer and I'm going to be away for a few more days
but I had to come back to pay rent today so I thought I'd get something up in addition to the note Zach left over in the list thread
A contradiction!
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2010, 12:04:16 pm »

I haven't managed to get a note up since I've been away from my computer and I'm going to be away for a few more days
but I had to come back to pay rent today so I thought I'd get something up in addition to the note Zach left over in the list thread
A contradiction!
Fool of a Took!

frumpton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2010, 12:19:13 pm »

How did Toady get the flu when he doesn't leave the house?

SCAMPS MUST BE THE CARRIER

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2010, 03:32:52 pm »

Now I'm definitely not worried now that I know it was H1N1.  Inferior virus that was combated by a multinational placebo.  Enjoy paying the taxes on that paranoid media hyped lemmings.

Bravo.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6