Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: I can only assume the worst.  (Read 8937 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: I can only assume the worst.
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »

It looks like I am not used to see people for days in a bed because a flu, maybe because I never did. When I get flu I get only one or two days of fever, and I can even work while on fever.

Well you probably get out and exercise more often than Toady gets a chance to. Must be hard to get around to it when your job is to sit in front of a computer at home all day.

Get well soon Toady, don't wanna start the new year sick.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2009, 03:46:03 pm »

I hope toady isn't dead  :'(

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 03:48:53 pm »

I hope toady isn't dead  :'(

What!  Don't say that.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 04:42:06 pm »

He just posted a devlog update.
He's fine, more or less.
He has H1N1, but is most definitely not dead nor likely to die.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2009, 06:40:04 pm »

Now I'm definitely not worried now that I know it was H1N1.  Inferior virus that was combated by a multinational placebo.  Enjoy paying the taxes on that paranoid media hyped lemmings.

Udib Gasolbomrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2009, 06:48:32 pm »

It looks like I am not used to see people for days in a bed because a flu, maybe because I never did. When I get flu I get only one or two days of fever, and I can even work while on fever.

Well, it's not the rest Toady deserved, but at least I hope he makes the better of it to clean his head of dwarves, ASCII and angry forumites!

One of the things that I think is under reported about the swine flu, many younger people who get it do get very, very ill.  They're mostly not at any great risk with proper medical care, because they needn't worry so much about the complications of childhood or old age, but it's knocking people flat for over a week on a regular basis.

Qloos, how about we agree to disagree.  I'm not interested in arguing about H1N1 with anyone this evening.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:52:43 pm by Udib Gasolbomrek »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2009, 07:01:45 pm »

Now I'm definitely not worried now that I know it was H1N1.  Inferior virus that was combated by a multinational placebo.  Enjoy paying the taxes on that paranoid media hyped lemmings.
Over reported for the current strain's harmfulness? Yeah. Inferior? No. Placebo? no. I've personally seen a few people die of H1N1, one of which was 22 and in perfect health before he got sick. He walking into the hospital in the morning with a cough and was critical by the time I left at light. There was another one in canada who died in less then 7 hours. So no, it's not an inferior virus or anything like that. What it is is a nasty flu which hits younger people harder then the normal flu. Is it a plague? Nah. Is it harmless? nope. 

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2009, 07:33:37 pm »

Uh, hold on. Where was it said that the flu Toady got was specifically H1N1? I just looked at ThreeToe's recent posts and it wasn't there.

Even if it is the big name these days, there is more than one strain of flu. Let's not fearmonger until and unless it's confirmed that that's the bug in question.

(Not that other strains can't be bad enough, and indeed, different people react to them differently; but if this is just a "normal" bad flu, there's not quite as much cause for concern).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2009, 07:36:09 pm »

I want to see what a fever does to DF programming. Hell, he should write up some ideas for new HFS while he has a fever. This idea cannot go wrong!
I remember having to write a report while in a feverish state. I'd randomly black out but continue to write. What it ended up as was a report on neurochemistry and random interjections about punching sea donkeys and eating my own foot.
Actualy, pulled of right that sounds like an exelent unique self demonstrating article!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2009, 07:38:41 pm »

Uh, hold on. Where was it said that the flu Toady got was specifically H1N1? I just looked at ThreeToe's recent posts and it wasn't there.

Even if it is the big name these days, there is more than one strain of flu. Let's not fearmonger until and unless it's confirmed that that's the bug in question.

(Not that other strains can't be bad enough, and indeed, different people react to them differently; but if this is just a "normal" bad flu, there's not quite as much cause for concern).

Look at the devlog, he said so himself.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2009, 08:38:37 pm »

Yup, the dev log mentions that he's got the H1N1 flu. So this is a more serious matter than the normal flu. Especially since it's relativly new to the United States.

As everyone has mentioned, this brand of flu puts the younger at risk.

Judging by the fact that Toady knows he's got the H1N1, it pretty much means he's already seen a doctor and has been diagnosed and so he's must be reciving the proper treatment for his illness. And since Three Toe's said he had this flu for a few days prior to when he made the announcment, it likely mean that he's had it for at least a week.

Either way, as mentioned before this flu puts the younger groups at risk (25 and under the last time I checked). And from what I recall, Toady's in his 30's. So chances are he will recover. (He has to! He has the blood of Armok in him!)

However just as we all have been doing we should do our best to wish Tarn a fast and healthy recovery. Wether we pray, send get well cards or just wish him to get better. We should all just give him our support. It will help him out at this time.

As for now, please get well Toady One!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:40:35 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2009, 09:53:33 pm »

However just as we all have been doing we should do our best to wish Tarn a fast and healthy recovery. Wether we pray, send get well cards or just wish him to get better. We should all just give him our support. It will help him out at this time.
Yeah, ThreeToe please tell him we wish him the best of luck, and (I think I speak for the most of us) that his dedication and imagination have created some unique that have positively affected our lives :)
A small danish wellwishing in this case, don't know if you have anything similiar; "God bedring", meaning good recovery, to Toady, and a happy news year to the both of you :)
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2009, 09:59:54 pm »

Just as long as we don't apply a Godendag to him.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2009, 10:37:51 pm »

Quote from: piecewise
Over reported for the current strain's harmfulness? Yeah. Inferior? No. Placebo? no. I've personally seen a few people die of H1N1, one of which was 22 and in perfect health before he got sick. He walking into the hospital in the morning with a cough and was critical by the time I left at light. There was another one in canada who died in less then 7 hours. So no, it's not an inferior virus or anything like that. What it is is a nasty flu which hits younger people harder then the normal flu. Is it a plague? Nah. Is it harmless? nope.

Here are the facts I've been able to gather:

On average 41,400 people died each year in the United States between 1979 and 2001 from influenza.
In the United States alone, 41 thousand a year.
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

Looking up the total number of moralities from H1N1 and I get a figure ranging from 12,121 to 36,000 for the worlds mortality rate.  With only 3000 being in North America.  This is compared to the Worlds average influenza mortality rate being at 1 000 000.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic

My basis that the H1N1 vaccine is hogwash is based on Poland banning the entire vaccine and German population reluctance to even take it.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZVPazHYqQ
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:49:32 pm by Qloos »

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2009, 10:39:25 pm »

There are other strains of influenza, but this year they're background noise. I don't know how the process works, but swine flu took over as the dominant strain. If Toady has influenza, it's a safe bet that it is 'novel influenza A (H1N1)'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6