Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 45

Author Topic: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)  (Read 71625 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 8, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #300 on: January 22, 2010, 02:40:44 pm »

How is breeding Ethereal Crafting?
First, the Male impregnates the Female, which then may or may not get pregnant.

Yes is reality this is how breeding works. However, you have to look at it in terms of the game. Every other crafting action uses an original material, one or more source items. Those items are used up, destroyed. And then a new item is created. If I allowed breeding on reality type, you don't use up any material to breed your animals.

Now, if you wanted to do something like 'create magic breeding feed' then 'use magic breeding feed to breed wolves'. Then you could keep the wolves, and only use the feed. And reality would be more happy with the idea of you feeding the wolves so they have energy and substance to make babies.

Also, along another note. I'm debating the idea of having crafting influence only given when an item you made is traded to sentient people. As it is, we are sort of loosing the idea of 'spread the word of the smith' by just gathering and crafting. Need more desire to trade against the risks.

The way I would do this is record a craft action like I have been, but instead of putting the crafting influence directly into a creator's influence pool, add it as a note on an item ie: delicate green glass orchid[original creator Nevets, crafting influence: 134] !base influence: 67!

Then, when the item is traded, the trader would still get the trade influence based on the modified base, and the original creator would then get his or her crafting influence.

What do people think? This close to the end of the cycle, I will probably leave things as they are, and impliment this with the next cycle. That is also going to be the cut off for those rule rewrites I asked for, if anyone else is thinking about trying to get some free influence that way.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:49:57 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2010, 05:02:31 pm »

Maybe have it so a fraction(likely half) is granted immediately, the rest when traded?

You could fine tune the results, and it supports both the current and proposed systems(with 0% and 100%) while allowing others(>0%, <100%) as well.
Eh?
Eh!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »

For gatherers, you could have gatherers have extra item slots, and also be able to sell their gathered items to crafters and such for influence.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2010, 08:31:35 pm »

For gatherers, you could have gatherers have extra item slots, and also be able to sell their gathered items to crafters and such for influence.

They can already sell their items to crafters if they wish. The only reason currently to put anything in group storage for free is the lack of inventory spaces, and I think I'd like to keep it that way.

Maybe have it so a fraction(likely half) is granted immediately, the rest when traded?

You could fine tune the results, and it supports both the current and proposed systems(with 0% and 100%) while allowing others(>0%, <100%) as well.

If I give influence for creation like now, even if only halving things, we will have still little reason to risk trading, and that defeats the purpose of adding this change anyway.

Still need actions from Rashilul and Phantom

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2010, 08:51:19 pm »

I think though, that an unlucky/despised crafter would then get *nothing* since nobody would trade for them. And someone missing the world-end would take the crafts with them.

Maybe 20% value on craft, 80% once sold, then?
Eh?
Eh!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2010, 08:56:42 pm »

>Go out into the area and gather for stuff, like the guys in Prospector.
(Awesome and hard space rougelike.)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 23, 2010, 08:59:01 pm »

wow, 2nd page and still no action from Rashilul.

approaching 2 days without a turn. I think I will have to go without him if we get to day 3 and he hasn't posted an action.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 24, 2010, 10:55:11 pm »

Forge a phrygian beard helm out of 1 chromium bar.

If I disappear again just do my turn for me.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 24, 2010, 11:18:53 pm »

If I disappear again just do my turn for me.

no worries, Glad your still with us.

I think however, I will go ahead and add a 3 day auto turn limit note to the rules: If you don't post an action for 3 rl days you will be skipped that turn, and fined a % of 500 influence based on a dice roll. so during the turn I roll a normal attempt d100, ie: roll:47= 47% of 500 = -235 influence. If this happens once your just skipped, twice and you go into hibernation, 6 days is nearly a week without posting, and that's term for dismissal of your player slot.

I don't want to punish people who have to be away from the internet for rl reasons, but at the same time, it's not fair to the players currently here to just stall the game until someone is ready.

I'm also still debating the crafting influence. I may give a minor influence boost to a crafter who crafts all the time, but the majority will not be awarded until someone trades it. I don't want to nerf the crafter character type so that no one picks it anymore, while at the same time I want to give traders and group cooperation more of a boost.

Rolls up in a bit here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 25, 2010, 12:22:41 am »

I think that crafting will always be the most fun...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 25, 2010, 03:22:23 am »

World Difficulty:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

group storage:

thunderclan:

Rashilul:

Kinesen:

lordnincompoop:

Phantom:

RAM:

Waiting list:

hibernation:

Use some of the Copper to Craft a statue, the remaining copper goes into Group Storage.
attempt: 48
Breaking off some of the copper vein, you form four pieces of useable chunks and hold on to them, while putting the rest of the copper in group storage. Aftwards you attempt to mould the remaining copper in your inventory to form a statue. It seems however that whatever energy that the copper held in the vein sapped your strength and focus by seperating the materials and you find yourself unable to get the statue to form.
+48 metalsculpting exp
note: full inventory

Gather.
attempt: 6+20+6=32
The empty hallway remains empty as you try and explore looking for materials. The doors open to you when you walk close to them, but other than a 'swish' sound, the large empty rooms beyond them give up nothing to your search.
+32 gather exp

I abandon 3 units of Starcloth and a chromium sphere.
I request an eternal flame with which to forge.
I claim 3 bars of chromium and 5 units of copper.
I craft 3 units of chromium and 5 units of copper into a metal then combine it with 1 unit of woven starcloth to create living metal, which will conform to the will of whoever 'owns' it.
I abandon living metal and/or copper/chromium until I have 6 open slots. Then claim 3 units of starcloth, 1 chromium sphere, and 2 units of RAMium metal.
You put your sphere and three of the star cloth units into group storage, and ask the ship to produce a piece of metalcrafting equipment. The ship responds with a stone basin filled with one single unit of magma that never looses it's heat and can be easily accessed to melt metal. After this you clam 5 pieces of the copper vein, and three bars of the chromium metal.
attempt: 82+20=102
quality: 73
base influence: 35+73+38(cloth)=146
five units of copper are melted in the air floating before you, into the mix you add the chromium metal and stir gently with your powers. Once the two metals have fused completely, you turn to your starcloth. Stretching the material to it's limit you dip it into the metal mixture and concentrate. Like coating a string of a candle with wax you repeatedly dip the starcloth into the copper chromium mixture. Eventually the last of the metal is fused with the cloth and seems to move and shift in flux. The resulting material you command to split into several bolts and then place them into group storage.
+202 cloth fusion exp(~levelup!~)
+292 crafting influence
+ 10 units of 'living' metalcloth !base influence:146!
Note: inventory is full, also you should be more specific on what skill you want for gear upgrades. I assume metalcrafting will work, as 'forge' is kinda vague.

Engrave my logo and signature onto the circle in a suitably modern, art-nouveau/Bauhaus style. Reserve a chromium bar or two for own purposes.
attempt: 89+20=109
quality: 38
base influence: 8+38+38=124
Taking a finer touch to your crab creation, you begin to carefully etch the gold coin in the creatures back and add a small logo and signature. Again however while your actions are successful the overall impressiveness of the creature seems to lesson just a bit.
+218 metal engraving exp(~levelup!~)
+248 crafting influence
- GOLDen-crested, steel electro-crab(alive) !base influence: 157!
+ Steel electro crab with inset, engraved-gold coin (alive)  !base influence: 124!
Note: If you havn't noticed yet, the impressiveness lessening things are because your getting low quality and base influence rolls on the new crab adjustments. The more you alter the same item and more chance you have to change the influence. And since you only gain half the influence of the source material, there is a chance it can go down.

>Go out into the area and gather for stuff, like the guys in Prospector.
(Awesome and hard space rougelike.)
attempt: 36+5=41
Try as you might, you end up basically in the same areas that Matis searched earlier. Nothing in this place but big empty rooms and cold unyielding bulkheads. It seems like there could be great deposits of resources around here someplace, as the rooms have docking stations in the wall for securing clasps, however the current group of searchers are having a hard time.
+41 gather exp

attempt: 68+20=88
quality: 15
base influence: 85+15=100
Taking a bar of chromium from the group stockpile, you form your powers into a glowing hammer and begin to beat the metal flat. After the echo of hammering metal finally dims down, you show off your chromium helm with it's rounded horn top. The Helm could use a good shine, but it's fairly impressive in itself.
+88 helmcraft exp
+100 crafting influence
+ Chromium Phrygian Helmet !base influence: 100!

Right then, some really bad gathering rolls. Guess that's Karma from all the good rolls from last world. There's stuff out there, just gotta roll a bit better.

Also, do check my math and such here. My brother kept interrupting me while I was trying to write this up, so was very distracted. I apologize for any problems.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 25, 2010, 03:54:00 am »

Remember inventory.
Abandon entire inventory.
Request Starcloth Gloves [Plasmacrafting].
Claim 1 unit of orange-sun plasma and 9 units of pure copper ore.
Craft Green-Copper plasma.
Abandon Entire inventory.
Claim inventory from start of turn, replacing orange-sun plasma with Green-copper Plasma.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:13:31 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #312 on: January 25, 2010, 04:51:58 am »

Craft. I grab the bright-pink crab eggs and hatch them. The result will be put in my inventory.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:19:49 pm by KineseN »

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2010, 05:12:06 am »

Craft. I grab the lesser half of bright-pink crab eggs and hatch them. The result will be put in my inventory.

do note, that you can only hatch one egg at a time. Just like thunder's bat-like bird eggs, if I let you hatch half of them, it would be like turning half of the vein of copper into rings. Multiple actions being tried at once.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 25, 2010, 01:11:42 pm »

Buy a piece of Bioenhancement equipment and try once more to Craft by speeding up the bat-like bird's growth to adulthood.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 45