Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45

Author Topic: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)  (Read 71409 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 3, World 3, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2010, 04:27:58 pm »

What about extending the cycle length? Looking at the grand scale of work here and the high level caps, 10 worlds seem, well, a bit short.

If I may be so bold, you can always return at the third cycle, without losing any equipment/inventory. I think there are several persons, including me, who'd wish the time was a bit shorter so they could try this themselves.

Exactly, the cycle length is there to allow for new players to come in and enjoy the game after a cycle. You may return with a saved character after the next cycle, and theoretically every other cycle after that.

Waiting on Rashilul and Grek. I'm interested in seeing if we loose any players due to critical non-craft fails on a 3rd day. Then a waiting list player could sign up for this cycle.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2010, 04:55:45 pm »

Theoretically, with very few players, couldn't some people have to cycles consecutively?

Other than that, the whole cycle idea seems to be one of those things that would really let this game last as long as you can run it, similar to how Dr. Who hasn't quite ended *ever*, they just used an ingeniuos plot device to switch actors in a massive, popular, season-end movie.
Eh?
Eh!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:17 pm »

Theoretically, with very few players, couldn't some people have to cycles consecutively?

Yep if we don't have enough players, I will allow people to have more than one creator to keep playing. I won't however let people play the same character right after a cycle they played in. Even with only three or four players I can run a cycle, it might even be faster.

Other than that, the whole cycle idea seems to be one of those things that would really let this game last as long as you can run it, similar to how Dr. Who hasn't quite ended *ever*, they just used an ingeniuos plot device to switch actors in a massive, popular, season-end movie.
and yep that's the idea, to be able to keep the game going, let people join in without seeing any end in sight to player spots, and to keep new blood in the system.

also, I am a big Who fan, currently working my way through the early serials. Still wating to decide if 'gerenimo' boy or however you spell it, is going to work out.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 2, World 3, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2010, 05:51:23 pm »

I will craft the plasma I found into a stable mini-sun growing lamp.

@Rashilul: Can you craft a glass box for me? I will trade you a plant of your choice or my 100 quality purpleness if you can.

Sure, I don't need anything, though.

Make a glass box out of 1 small pile of green rocks and give it to Grek

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:07 pm »

I use 1 small pile of rocks and the rest of the needles to create a pile of ☼mulch☼.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2010, 01:12:04 am »

Nice, I'm watching this.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2010, 01:12:24 am »

You CAN join.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2010, 01:34:38 am »

World Difficulty:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

group storage:

thunderclan:

Rashilul:

Kinesen:

Grek:

lordnincompoop:

Phantom:

Waiting list:

Craft. While I failed to gather more sources of energy the plasma will do. What I'm going to create is a fully functional fusion reactor the size of the chainsaw engine. I will create it out of the solid grey fluid
attempt:52-10=42
Taking your grey fluid and one unit of plasma you attempt to fuse the two together and form a sort of engine running on internal power. As much as you attempt such however, your inexperience keeps this from happening.
+42 chemist exp
[this attempt split the pack of 6 plasmas, therefore, your inventory is full, you held onto 4 of the plasmas, and the other two go into group inventory. If you gather or otherwise gain items with a full inventory new items will directly go into group storage.]

Smelt the remaining lime rock into chains, which I will use on the barrel of fuel to make it like a flamethrower tank,
note: 2 craft actions here, so you get the first one of the chains, you may do the other later if your successful.
attempt: 4
You choose another piece of lime metal and remove the rocks from it, and focus your power onto the item. The plan was to make small links out of metal into a chain, but something went horribly wrong. A massive blast of scrapnel heralds the explosion of the lime metal, and an alarm as your work area is surrounded by an energy shield to protect the rest of the ship. After a moment the shield fades as the explosion is noted to be gone, but this cost you: 39 influence.
-39 influence
+4 metalcrafting exp

I'll have another go at Gathering material from the depths of the star.
attempt: 47+2=49
So close and yet so far. You plan out your focus gathering, hoping to find a spot that is easier to drill into. You plan so well, that you run out of time for the day, and decide to return to the ship before it leaves without you.
+49 gather exp

Create an ornate wooden block, large enough to support my previous experiments, and possibly decorate it to make it pretty or elegant. Use a divine and electric/lighting theme.
attempt: 19+20=39
You claim the mishapen oak log out of storage and try to form it into a cohesive block stand to hold your great craft. However, the log remains just a log, and you can't seem to figure out how to make a block of the size you need out of it.
+39 woodsculpting exp(~levelup!~)

Make a glass box out of 1 small pile of green rocks and give it to Grek
attempt: 29+20+6+1=56
quality: 86
base influence: 29+86=115
Taking another pile of the green rock you pulverize it into the green sand you've been using for glasswork all this while. With a box shape in mind, you flatten the glass into four sides and a bottom, leaving an open top. The box is about a foot cube.
+56 glassmaking exp
+115 crafting influence
[ approaching 1k influence again, perhaps another upgrade to your glassmaking gear is in order? or maybe another piece of equipment to boost a different skill.]

I use 1 small pile of rocks and the rest of the needles to create a pile of ?mulch?.
attempt: 96
quality: 94
base influence: 35+94=129
Taking a pile of the green rocks from storage, and the remaning 14 needles, you mix them together and grind them just enough to pulverize some of the rock into smaller pieces, and crush a few of the needles, combining the mixture just right to provide a boost of nutrients for a plant. You do such a good job, that the amount of the mixture ends up being more than just the rocks and needles could create, boosted by the surge in your power, you've absorbed minerals and elements from the very air to create 15 full units of mulch.
+ 192 biochemistry exp(~levelup!~)
+ 258 crafting influence
+ 15 units of needle mulch !base influence: 129!
+ 1ft cube glass box, with open top. !base influence: 115!

As the appointed time comes, a massive lurch causes everyone to stumble slightly to the right as the ship yanks itself from the world of the star. The swirl of light and slight rumble of the ship herald a new world outside to explore.

World Difficulty: 69. Outside the viewport you find yourself on a rocky outcropping in the middle of a yellow ocean. Orange sky and the yellow banana-pudding like water stretch as far as the eye can see. Several small, startling neon-red crabs blink at the portal as they scurry along the rocks.

New world, new stuff to see and gather. :) Good luck, hope you brought your swimtrunks. And yes, the waiting list has open spots for next cycle, shouldn't be as long as some other games, but people are welcome to just read along as well.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:13 am »

You CAN join.
I'm sort of busy though... I anticipate business in the future.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2010, 01:38:07 am »

Attempt to use the barrel as a flotation device and swim around, looking for rubber, driftwood, anything floating around.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 4, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2010, 02:24:12 am »

Go outside and see what there is to Gather

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2010, 02:40:17 am »

I am going to craft a mini-greenhouse from the mulch, lamp and glass box.

Also, am I able to get equipment bonuses?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2010, 03:29:15 am »

I am going to craft a mini-greenhouse from the mulch, lamp and glass box.

Also, am I able to get equipment bonuses?

right now the only equipment you have is for gathering, as a bonus to a crit roll near the start. You may certainly purchase more equipment for the skill of your choice, just let me know, and remember, 250 influence per equipment level.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2010, 05:40:22 am »

Craft. Seeing that I just can't make my engine work I decide to work on my plasma tank. I take one iron bar from the group storage and one piece of my blue chitin and fuse them together to form one smallish plasma tank that is able to contain plasma, just the size to fit in the chainsaw. This I will keep, but the chainsaw will be given to Elias the Peasant.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2010, 06:01:41 am »

hmm, just thought of another rule to add to this. No making of items that produce other items. Robots making robots type thing, or even something like a replicator or 'wood generator'. With the plasma you have the fuel for that sort of thing, but would make gathering obsolete with some good rolls, so going to disallow it. Let it be something that the ship dislikes and so bans.

Along those same lines, I have a challenge for those of you playing, or waiting, or just watching. If someone could look over the first post, my further posts, and ending with this one, compile and reconstruct the straight rules for easy viewing.  I will give 500 influence for their character, even if they haven't signed up or started play yet. PM me the lists, the influence will go to the one I copy onto the first post.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45