Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45

Author Topic: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)  (Read 71362 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 3, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2010, 01:27:11 pm »

World Difficulty: 100, Outside the viewpoint... is a star. Arcs of plasma regularly blast from the surface, and the massive amounts of energy radiating from the area repeatedly rock the ship, but it is stable.

group storage:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thunderclan:
Rashilul:
Kinesen:
Grek:
lordnincompoop:
Phantom:

Waiting list:

Gather. Put whatever I might find in my inventory but put the compound eyes and the ichor in the group storage first.
attempt: 52+20+2=74
quality: 6
quantity: 12-6=6
Wrapping your powers around you for protection you darken against the light and radiation, and head out onto the surface of the star. It is a surreal experience, the black of space in the 'sky' and massive plumes of plasma blasting overhead. You might think that it would roar and sound generally like a massive fireball should, but with no air, it is eerile silent. You walk a few steps and decide that there really isn't much reason to go very far. Turning your powers into a scoop, you begin to gather plasma from the surface just outside the portal. It's tricky stuff to deal with, but you manage to obtain a globe of about a foot in radius, held together by cleverly arranging the plasma's magnetic forces.
+74 gather exp(~Levelup!~)
+ 6 units of orange-sun plasma

Scream at the others about the amazing potentials if we could gather the star, or at least parts of it. Also, create a conveyor belt out of the silk (if Grek lets me have some), durable and tough enough to be able to be scratched by my spiky rods without damage for extended (years?) periods of time. If possible, colour the silk to some exciting/exotic/expensive-looking colour.
attempt: 22+20=42
Obtaining one of the silk pieces from Grek, you start work on a conveyor belt, but get distracted by one of the more powerful blasts from the surface outside.
+42 silkcraft exp

Try to make longsword again. Look out viewport towards star, locate nearby planets.
attempt: 33
The lump of green rocks and iron just refuses to form into a blade. You do however manage to spot a couple large objects in the 'sky' of the star, like very distant moons, so the likelyhood of this star having a solar system is high, but the distances are great.
+33 weaponforging
(try not to keep repeating the same action until you get it, I know the rolls have screwed you twice here, but it gets boring if you just say 'try again' for 5 turns.)

Take the (Cat?) skull and forge a glass covering using one small pile of green rocks.
Attempt: 85+20+1=106
quality: 35
base influence: 38+35=73
Glass seems to work well with your powers. Snatching the skull you purposefully pulverize another pile of green rocks to make sand. Then, holding the skull before you, you coat it in a thin layer of green glass. You tweak the reflections just enough so that the eyes seem to glow in the light of the sun outside.
+212 glassmaking exp(~Levelup!~)
+146 crafting influence
+ 1 glass encased feline skull with glowing eyes. !base influence: 73!
(Might I interest you in a glass furnace? 250 influence cost, +1 glassmaking equipment. You have quite a bit of influence stacking up with these last few criticals.)

Try to speed up the growth of my bat-like bird
attempt: 6
Deciding to try your hand at making your bird grow, you start manipulating the genes, and using your powers to adjust time around the wee little fellow. However, this is a very delicate buisness, and when things go wrong, they really go wrong. With a loud screech, followed by a pop, your hands are now covered in greenish-yellow gore. And no bat-bird to be found.
+6 bioenhancement exp
- tiny iridescent blue bat-like bird with no feathers, about the size of a walnut. !base influence: 138!

(if Grek lets me have some)
Yes.

I am going to gather native space-plants. I would also like to request Nevets's sawdust and wood splinters for another botany project later on.
attempt: 56+2+1=59(Modification for finding plants on a STAR would be -45, so going to give you a general gather roll here)
quality: 74
quantity: 4-72=1
Not seeing a single plant or animal lifeform on the surface dosen't really surprise you. Or at least it shouldn't, but you decide to search a bit anyway. You manage to find a small outcropping of plasma that seems a little darker than the others near the portal. Copying what Matis did earlier, you scoop some of the material up and bring it back to the ship.
+74 gather exp
+ 1 unit dark red-sun plasma

A few very low rolls this time around. Poor little bat bird. Oh well, there's always his brothers and sisters to experiment on. ];-) As always, check me for errors if you see any, and I will correct during the next turn.

The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 2, World 3, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2010, 01:38:42 pm »

Try gather some plasma stuff from the inside of the star, in regions such as the core. Risky business, but it can and will be very valuable + useful.

Try making the conveyor belt again, and focus on that and don't look outside.

I know we've been discouraged from simply trying again, but this is a highly necessary component.

Also, Haika, would welding and putting components together be a full turn?

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2010, 01:48:23 pm »

Gather. The thoughtless comment to - and I quote

Quote from: Aristothenes the Crafter
Try gather some plasma stuff from the inside of the star, in regions such as the core. Risky business, but it can and will be very valuable + useful.

I find this amusing and it really interest me and as such, I will do so.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2010, 05:03:14 pm »

Study the solar system, find anything vaguely like paper or papyrus, use a bit of own blood to write something in a language that is easy to teach.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2010, 05:20:32 pm »

Try making the conveyor belt again, and focus on that and don't look outside.

I know we've been discouraged from simply trying again, but this is a highly necessary component.

Also, Haika, would welding and putting components together be a full turn?

I allow a retry if you fail at something, the note from before was just to try and keep people from repeating several times over to get something. Makes for boring action.

and putting something together from components is a craft action yes. on the plus side, using many previously crafted pieces, gives half of the total influence from the pieces used to make the final item. So putting many small pieces you've made together after many turns of work, can make massively impressive items.

Study the solar system, find anything vaguely like paper or papyrus, use a bit of own blood to write something in a language that is easy to teach.

Umm, no paper or papyrus in any inventory on the ship... are you trying to tell me your looking for book materials on a STAR? o.O Might be better to wait on this action until we get to a more civilized world where you might be able to find it. Here it's not possible.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:22:31 pm by Haika »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2010, 05:27:48 pm »

Well then just study the area. Technically I just need to look out a viewport and understand the nature of it.

And don't say I can't record stuff in my mind. You just need to remember it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:19:58 pm by Phantom »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2010, 06:11:30 pm »

Great time for a bad roll  ;D

Go Gather some material from the star

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2010, 07:20:12 pm »

Buy a glass furnace and use a small pile of green rocks to make a magnifying glass.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2010, 07:42:05 pm »

Well then just study the area. Technically I just need to look out a viewport and understand the nature of it.

And don't say I can't record stuff in my mind. You just need to remember it.

I suppose the issue here is still, Gather? Craft? or Trade? I'm not sure why you are so interested in knowing what nature of the world, when in a couple turns we will be long gone from it. Most of the things I make up as we go along anyway.
You could always say later 'I draw a map of the area around the star we were at' or something, but that's then, not now. Or you can add stuff like look around with your action, like you did before about the planets, but really the info is just fluff.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2010, 07:44:25 pm »

Argh. What, I can't study astronomy?
Put all my stuff except the oil in group storage.
Now can I have the chainsaw?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2010, 08:32:53 pm »

Argh. What, I can't study astronomy?
Put all my stuff except the oil in group storage.
Now can I have the chainsaw?

*sigh* this is a crafting game, not a game about stargazing. Your choices are Gather. Craft. Or Trade. Or quit and let someone else take the spot.

Group storage stuff will work, but that's a free action, and the chainsaw thing is up to Kinesen

Also, Rashilul:
Grek asked for your sawdust and splinters, let me know if it's ok to transfer the item or not.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2010, 08:40:04 pm »

anfbusbgvibfua

Gather/Explore the closest moon/planet/asteroid.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2010, 02:27:40 am »

Could someone make a really rockin' Idea? Or is that thoughtcrime in this thread.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2010, 02:48:03 am »

There is a sort of precedent for it in fire...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2010, 04:30:30 am »

Also, Rashilul:
Grek asked for your sawdust and splinters, let me know if it's ok to transfer the item or not.

Sure
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45