Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45

Author Topic: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)  (Read 71325 times)

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 2, World 1, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2009, 11:55:49 pm »

Craft an idol from white stone

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 06:05:50 am »

I'm going to suppose that these points are stockpileable, so I won't spend them yet.

Also, I'm really sorry that I'm late like this; different time zones and bad sleeping habits. I've just woken up, actually.  :-[

Carve another wooden cylinder this time, without a handle.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 08:24:31 am »

World Difficulty: 63. Outside the view portal you can see an overgrown field of dry wheat. A large rusted-metal oil pump sits still and unmoving just beyond the field, and a yellow-dirt road leads out of view. The sky is light grey, but otherwise earth norm.

group storage:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thunderclan:
Rashilul:
Kinesen:
Grek:
lordnincompoop:
Phantom:

Waiting list:

I dissect the scorpion corpse and use the 5 pieces of blue chitin to smith a Longsword. The stinger will be smithed into the hilt. I strengthen the crystal egg and attach it as a pommel.

I put the longsword in the group inventory and keep the rest in my inventory.
attempt: 69-10(talent)= 59
quality: 37
base influence: 18+37=55
Taking stock of your inventory, you set to work crafting a longsword out of the pieces of scorpion. Bending the power of the Smith into a small glowing blade, you carefully disect the corpse, and take special care to keep the unused items. The chitin is hard, but can be sharpened, fitting it against the stinger, you take special care to keep it intact. bisecting the stinger-hilt creation, you fit it to grasp the crystal egg in a claw-like way. Smiling at your handiwork you place it in the group inventory for others to use or trade at a later date.
+59 bonecrafting exp
+55 crafting influence
+ inventory change, 5/10 spots left.

Smelt the Lime Green metal and the reddish-yellow metal together. What is the outcome?
attempt: 85
quality: 19
base influence: 76+19=95
claiming one of the lime metal chunks and a bar of the reddish-yellow metal, you set forth to emulate the Smith's forge in your bare hands. First sheering the green stone from the lime metal you clean it and obtain the smallish pile of rocks that you return to the group inventory as waste. Then you hold both pieced of metal together and focus on producing heat. Much heat. You increase the glow between your palms to a bright white light. Focusing all your will on smelting the two metals together as well as you can. Before long you decide you are finished and check the finished product. Slowly glowing an orange-brown color. You hold in your hand a shiny bar of light brown metal, seemingly as hard as steel, but colored more along the lines of gold. The bar itself seems to have absorbed some of the light from the forced fusion, and emits a soft glow that seems persistant.
+85 ore smelting exp
+95 crafting influence
+1 glowing gold-steel bar !base influence: 95!

Forge a mask out of 1 reddish-yellow bar and create a cap to hold it on with 1 oak log. Place it in group inventory.
attempt: 98+20=118
quality: 67
base influence: 90+67=157
Intent on making a mask, and not failing this time, you scoop up the last bar of reddish-yellow metal and along with one of the oak logs and set to work. Like a man possessed you fold metal with your power-ensrouded hands, and sculpt wood like it was simple clay. The end result is a full face mask of sparkling metal, covered in intricate designs and patterns. The mask is very similar to a fencer's faceguard, however the cloth in the back is replaced with thin strips of oak. The metal mesh in the front is far from straight, twisting and curving around producing the designs and patterns that give the overall mask it's intriguing appearance.
+236 Millinery exp ~levelup!~
+314 crafting influence
+ 1 extraordinary reddish-green, oak slatted, patterned face-mask. !base influence: 157!

I will now attempt to craft a bonsi cactus, using the cactus flower as a seed/bulb/spapling.
attempt: 58
quality: 30
base influence: 63+30 = 93
Deciding to try your hand at a little arteficial botany, you polinate your red flower, and begin to channel energy into it enducing growth. At first you have a great deal of trouble. As you have no pot, no soil, or water to give to supply it. Then you remember your jar of purple air. Using it as a base, you 'plant' your cactus seed in it, supported by your divine skills and a little genetic tweaking you mange to create a new life form that grows in your purple cloud. The plant is a dark red color, and winds up with little clusters of blue spikes where a bonsi's leaves would be. You stop channeling energy when the little tree has four clusters, and is about a foot tall. Tugging it from the jar, the altered roots scoop out about half of your condensed air and hold it freely seperate from your container.
+58 enhanced botany exp
+93 crafting influence
+ 1 red cactus bonsi, with blue needle-leaves. !base influence: 93!

Craft an idol from white stone
attempt: 50
quality: 18
base influence: 92+18=110
Turning your attention to a block of white stone, you begin to sculpt a small idol of the Smith himself. After much concentration and careful chipping of stone with your powers you manage to just barely finish the idol. The smith stands before an anvil with a crutch under one arm and a powerful hammer raised to strike in the other. The base of the 10cm tall model is a slightly tilted rectangle marked with various smith-related religious images.
+50 stonesculpting exp
+110 crafting influence
+1 white stone Hephaestus Idol !base influence: 110!

I'm going to suppose that these points are stockpileable, so I won't spend them yet.

Also, I'm really sorry that I'm late like this; different time zones and bad sleeping habits. I've just woken up, actually.  :-[

Carve another wooden cylinder this time, without a handle.
attempt: 43+20=63
quality: 71
base influence: 23+71=94
Taking the last of the oak logs from the group stockpile, you begin to carve with your powers once more. Shaving this time produces the same amount of shavings and bark, but without the handle the overal quality of the item seems slightly lower, though it still is well made.
+63 woodsculpting exp
+ 1 handfuls of sawdust and bark shavings.
+ 1 simple oak cylinder !base influence: 94!

Influence is like money, you want more of it, you can use it to help you gain more money, or you can save it for later. In the end the final tally is what matters, like the score of a football game, if you have more than everyone else, you 'win'.

As to time zones, don't worry, we've been going smoothly so far, even managed two updates here today, so just keep checking back and posting when you see a new turn, and things will go smoothly.

As to the overall rolls this time around, lots of good crafting. Aristothenes keeps his influence lead, though Nevets is right on his heels with that crit crafting roll. For those of you with enough, remember that you can upgrade a gear piece for 250 influence, no test until you get 10 equipment for one skill. The + may not seem like alot to start compared to just stockpiling points, but they will eventually add up.

With a loud metalic groan and a powerful lurch the Aglaia powers up. Within a swirl of color and chaos you are shunted away between dimensions to a new world.

World Difficulty: 63
Outside the view portal you can see an overgrown field of dry wheat. A large rusted-metal oil pump sits still and unmoving just beyond the field, and a yellow-dirt road leads out of view. The sky is light grey, but otherwise earth norm.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 2, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 08:52:29 am »

Craft. I make a scabbard for the longsword. I will use a piece of chitin as the base. The pincer will be attached to the flat of the scabbard. This is going to the group inventory and is a set with the sword.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 08:53:16 am »

Use some of that conductive lime-green metal to create a rod slightly longer than half-the diameter of my sphere. On one end of the rod ther sould be a bunch of sharrp, thin metal spikes sticking out in a toothbrush-like formation, out of the same metal.

Hey, could someone find some silk? I'd much appreciate it.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 09:38:07 am »

can i still join?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 03:19:13 pm »

Scout out for civilization.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »

can i still join?

We are currently full this cycle, but you can be added to the wait list for the next run if you like. Let me know what character type you want and I'll add you.

Scout out for civilization.

Hrm, remember actions need to be gather, craft, or trade. Maybe trade would be good for this? As that looks for sentients to trade with. You'd need to sell something though.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2010, 03:38:27 pm »

Ack, then I'll just gather for metal.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2010, 03:54:51 pm »

Craft 1 lime metal into a necklace, decorating it with a small pile of green rocks and 7 small yellow needles.
Place in group inventory.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »

Gather

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 01:52:53 am »

Just waiting on Grek to post an action, then we can move into the next turn.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 03:25:17 am »

Going to search for silk to gather.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2010, 04:20:21 am »

World Difficulty: 63. Outside the view portal you can see an overgrown field of dry wheat. A large rusted-metal oil pump sits still and unmoving just beyond the field, and a yellow-dirt road leads out of view. The sky is light grey, but otherwise earth norm.

group storage:

thunderclan:
Rashilul:
Kinesen:
Grek:
lordnincompoop:
Phantom:

Waiting list:

Craft. I make a scabbard for the longsword. I will use a piece of chitin as the base. The pincer will be attached to the flat of the scabbard. This is going to the group inventory and is a set with the sword.
attempt: 71-10=61
quality: 9
base influence: 12+9=21
Fusing a sword might have been easy, but putting together a scabbard seems much more difficult. You manage to connect a piece of chitin to itself by folding it over with your powers, then meld half of the last pincer on either side of the scabbard. The end result is a low quality scabbard that looks like it could fall apart at any moment.
+61 bonecrafting exp(~levelup!~)
+21 crafting influence

Use some of that conductive lime-green metal to create a rod slightly longer than half-the diameter of my sphere. On one end of the rod ther sould be a bunch of sharrp, thin metal spikes sticking out in a toothbrush-like formation, out of the same metal.
attempt: 39+20=59
quality: 4
base influence: 21+4=25
Taking up another hunk of lime metal and rock you clean the metal returning the rock to the stockpile before you begin to work the metal. Making a long rod is fairly simple, but the spikes at the end give you a little trouble, and they come out looking rather blunt and inelegant. You created the item, but it seems very amaturish.
+59 metalcrafting exp(~levelup!~)
+25 crafting exp
+1 lime green metal rod with mostly blunt spikes !base influence: 94!

Ack, then I'll just gather for metal.
attempt: 9(not even going to bother with a difficulty for specifics)
You leave the portal of the ship and head out into the wheat field. It seems to go on forever and you quickly find yourself lost.
+9 gather exp
Next turn you may only gather or trade, no crafting until you are able to return to the ship.

Craft 1 lime metal into a necklace, decorating it with a small pile of green rocks and 7 small yellow needles.
Place in group inventory.

attempt: 31+20=51
quality: 66
base influence: 81+66=147
Taking a chunk of the raw metal, you take care to keep your rock shavings as you smelt the metal seperately. Twisting the metal into a thin rope-like necklace, you weave in the green stones after polishing them lightly with your powers. Claiming some of the needles from group storage you attach them in a half star formation at the bottom of the necklace.
+51 jeweler exp
+147 crafting exp

Gather
attempt: 35
Heading out into the new world, you decide to follow the road a bit. The world seems empty of all animal life, and you find a few broken down and decaying farm houses, but nothing of worth to return with you to the ship.
+35 gather exp(~levelup!~)

Going to search for silk to gather.
attempt: 32+2=34
Much like Fireheart, your searches in the new world prove unfruitful.
+34 gather exp(~levelup!~)

Well quite a bit of fail here this time around. Maybe next time will be better. Let me know if anyone finds any errors in my math and such.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:32:07 am by Haika »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 2, World 2, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 05:05:46 am »

I'll go looking for plant life to Gather
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 45