Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45

Author Topic: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)  (Read 71299 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 1, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 07:34:31 pm »

Action: I will attempt to, this time, find enlightenment by meditating on top of a cactus. I will also give the needles to the group.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »

Action: I will attempt to, this time, find enlightenment by meditating on top of a cactus. I will also give the needles to the group.

erm, gather, craft or trade? Not sure there's much of an actual action here. Enlightenment is iffy, and giving the needles to group inventory is a free action.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 07:55:10 pm »

Gather. If I can't have enlightenment, than I suppose I will have to make due with a cactus.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 09:39:55 pm »

Gather

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 03:02:55 am »

Waiting list please.

Name: RAM
Talent: Crafter
Action: Craft an extra spot in the game.

Luck currently plays a huge role in the game, you might consider granting experience equal to one hundred minus the initial % result. If you have bad luck you would learn more...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 10:15:09 am »

See if any of the metal that we have is electrically conductive. If it is, create a hollow metal sphere using it, witha diameter of around the avergae forearm. If not, collect a bagful of sand from the cactuses and place it into group inventory.

Also, I meant who we can expect our customers to be, generally. Ancient Greco-Roman? Futuristic? Tribal? Medieval? Renaissance? Modern? (Acutally, al of these are possible when plane-jumping, I guess, but what would be most likely?)

And yes, I did mean crafter, now that I looked through it properly. Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:58:45 am by lordnincompoop »

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 10:54:02 am »

I was thinking a bit, but would a soul bound to a medium, in this case a gem, that is acting as a source of energy to a automaton count as sentinent?

Spoiler: My idea for a craft (click to show/hide)

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 04:50:18 pm »

Waiting list please.

Name: RAM
Talent: Crafter
Action: Craft an extra spot in the game.

Luck currently plays a huge role in the game, you might consider granting experience equal to one hundred minus the initial % result. If you have bad luck you would learn more...

Waiting list is officially populated, your first on the list for next cycle, or as a replacement if anyone drops off during this cycle.

As to the Luck thing, It may seem a little harsh, but I want bad rolls to be bad. I don't want to give something because you fail massively. I think the way I have it set up is fair that even with a long string of bad luck you can keep working at it and eventually skillup. With enough work and influence spent you can eventually never fail, but that's a long way off and will take multiple cycles.

Also, I meant who we can expect our customers to be, generally. Ancient Greco-Roman? Futuristic? Tribal? Medieval? Renaissance? Modern? (Acutally, al of these are possible when plane-jumping, I guess, but what would be most likely?)

And yes, I did mean crafter, now that I looked through it properly. Thanks. :)

You said it yourself, all of these are possible, right now you know basic info about the world the ship is at, until someone goes out and looks for traders, you won't know if there even are any. Just remember the ship moves after the 3rd day here, so searching for traders now might be a bad idea if you get a crit fail.

And glad I got the crafter part right.

I was thinking a bit, but would a soul bound to a medium, in this case a gem, that is acting as a source of energy to a automaton count as sentinent?

Spoiler: My idea for a craft (click to show/hide)

A soulgem would certianly be possible, as long as the 'soul' was from an animal or plant that wasn't aware of it's own existance.

Ok heading into roll mode, update soonish.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 05:34:31 pm »

World Difficulty: 84. Outside the viewport you see a desert canyon, small speckled cactus looking things dot green rock cliffs with a dark mauve sun.

group storage:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thunderclan:
Rashilul:
Kinesen:
Grek:
lordnincompoop:
Phantom:

Waiting list:

Craft a pan flute out of the warped block of wood and place it into personal inventory.
attempt: 5+20 = 25
Another attempt at using the wood proves just as unproductive. You focus your powers on making several small pipes, but only manage to pulverize the block of warped wood. You now hold a pile of sawdust and splinters.
+25 woodcrafting
- 1 slightly mishapen oak log.
+ pile of sawdust and splinters
Note: I gave you woodcrafting this turn, while last time it was sculpting. Statues and solid objects will be sculpting, more complicated items will be crafting.

Gather. This time I'm looking for gems.
attempt: (difficulty 42)68+20=89(-42= 46)
quality: 92
quantity: 32-92=1
Setting out to gather once more you decide to look for some gems out amongst the rocks. However your sparkling objctive eludes you. On the bright side, you manage to find a small outcrop where a glassy grey material has collected. Touching it with your hands makes the material melt, so you use some of your divine power to create a globe to bring some of the solid fluid back to the ship.
+88 gather exp(~levelup!~)
+ 1qt solid grey fluid
Note: since so many seem to want to specifiy what they gather, I will allow a difficulty based check on this. Based on the world difficulty, you check it and if you succeed you get what you were looking for, otherwise I use the unmodified roll. However do note, that you will recieve the exp and bonuses for only the roll you use. so if your unmodified is 90+ but after the difficulty it takes it down to like 53, you will only get 53 exp, and no crit. This should balance out people getting specific things.

Attempt to make a Piccolo out of some wood.
attempt: 34
Grabbing one of the remaining oak logs you set to work. Unfortunately your still a little shaky from hibernation and your powers only to margainal warping of the log.
+34 woodcrafting exp
+ 1 slightly mishapen oak log

attempt: 66+1+1=68
quality: 19
quantity: 15-19=1
Giving your needles to group inventory, you head back out into the world. Sitting atop a cactus may seem like a good place to find enlightenment, but it mostly leads to bad issues while sitting later... You do however manage to find a small red flower on one of the cacti. You pluck it and return to the ship.
+68 gather exp
+ 1 small red cactus flower

Gather
attempt: 54
quality: 33
quantity: 48-33=15
You stride out into the canyon, with the intent on finding something of worth. After a mile or so you spot some nest-like objects dotting the side of the cliff. Probably from some tiny form of hummingbird, or similar alien creature. With a little searching you manage to come out with 5 tiny grape-sized eggs, white with purple blotches.
+54 gather exp
+ 5 blotched purple, white eggs, about the size of a grape.

See if any of the metal that we have is electrically conductive. If it is, create a hollow metal sphere using it, witha diameter of around the avergae forearm.
attempt: 67+20= 87
quality: 4
base influence: 69+4=73
Checking over the small chunks of rock and metal that was obtained yesterday, you determine that the metal should suit your needs for conductivity. Claiming two hunks, you melt down the metal with your powers, discarding the remaining rock back into group storage. Setting your mind to forming a sphere you mold the metal into a hollow round ball, about twice the size of a basketball.
+87 metal crafting
+73 crafting influence
+ 1 large lime green metal sphere !base influence: 73!
Note: you have obtained enough influence to buy some equipment. To do so, list what sort of equipment you want to buy(name the skill it helps) and add it to your next action as a free action.

Much fewer crit rolls this time around, the dice do seem to hate Nevets though, the 2nd time his crafting talent has saved him from horror. :) Also, Aristothenes is having a good run on influence gain. 1 turn left before world shift. Use it wisely... *echos into whatever*

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 2, World 1, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 05:36:56 pm »

Try again.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 06:00:41 pm »

Craft.

I dissect the scorpion corpse and use the 5 pieces of blue chitin to smith a Longsword. The stinger will be smithed into the hilt.
[Edit2]I strengthen the crystal egg and attach it as a pommel.[/Edit2]

I
[Edit] put the longsword in the group inventory and [/Edit] keep the rest in my inventory.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:39:26 pm by KineseN »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 06:16:26 pm »

Excuse me, don't have to use smelted metal to smith a longsword? And isn't chitin insect skin or something?

Actually, I change my mind.
Smelt the Lime Green metal and the reddish-yellow metal together. What is the outcome?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:18:07 pm by Phantom »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 06:17:11 pm »

Forge a mask out of 1 reddish-yellow bar and create a cap to hold it on with 1 oak log. Place it in group inventory.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »

I could but I'd rather use what I find, that way I can see if the hard shells of a scorpion works as good as metal with the Smith's power.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2009, 09:13:11 pm »

I will now attempt to craft a bonsi cactus, using the cactus flower as a seed/bulb/spapling.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45