Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45

Author Topic: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)  (Read 71282 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:25:07 am »

~

The great smith crafted many amazing things in his time as a ruling god. From Hermes' winged sandals and helm, to Eros' Bow, he was the one who created from the ether for the gods and anyone else who needed spectacular craftsmanship.

There was a time however that Hephaestus was a young god. Living in the world of Olympus. His mother Hera had gotten into an argument with Lord Zeus, and had been suspended between the world of the heavens and the earth by a golden chain. Hephaestus managed to free his mother, but not without feeling the wrath of the leading divine.

Zeus threw him from the cliffs of Olympus down to the mortal realm below. The fall lasted twenty hours and four more. When The Smith finally hit the ground, even his immortal body was damaged, and he was in need of healing.

The island of Lemnos where he fell contained a race of craftsmen and makers of the human race, these Sintians nursed the now lame god back to health, and gave him his appreciation for all things created by hand.

His love for the Sintians was not kept only to the works of mortals. Through the natural way, and emulating Zeus himself, Hephaestus fathered several children to the Sintians, who began to form a line of beings with mortal blood and divine powers.

A great many years have passed since the days of Olympus, many of the gods and goddesses have fled from unbelieving worlds, others simply sit back and watch to see what will happen. Hephaestus could not bring himself to stop forging and creating, even as the people of earth began to believe in things other than his guidance.

He created the great dimensional ship Aglaia and populated it with people from his descendants in the line of Sintian. However with his power waning, he set forth a method of returning his belief and bringing life back to his battered form.

The residents of the ship are only awake for cycles. Ten dimensional skips, is the normal amount, while the rest sleep in hibernation with Hephaestus himself. During each cycle, the ship travels to different dimensions and worlds, giving source material to create with, and sentient beings to trade these created items. The goal: to spread the word of the smith by trading these magical crafts throughout the universe.

YOU are one of the descendants of the great smith, and your cycle of production is about to begin. What will you craft in the belly of the great Aglaia, and to whom will you trade it to? In the end, all that matters is how much influence you create for the Smith himself.
~

--------------------------------
So, this will be my attempt at a massive forum game based upon crafting.

Rules and game mechanics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Initial post stuff(30/12/09):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Wait and Hibernation Lists(3/23/10):

Waiting:

hibernation:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:34:37 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 04:30:51 am »

This could be quite interesting...I'm in

Name: Fireheart
Character Type: Peasant

Gather, placing what I find in the group inventory

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:37:56 am »

In

Name: Nevets
Class: Crafter

Craft a small model of the ship using one piece of wood and place it in group storage.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:42:08 am by Rashilul »

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:43:14 am »

I'm in.

Name: Matis
Talent: Gatherer

Gather. Place what I find in my inventory.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:51:50 am »

Name: Yu.
Type: Peasant.
Action: Gather the sound that a tumbleweed makes when noone is around to hear it tumble.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 09:22:50 am »

Awesome, two more and we can run the first turn.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (signups 4/6)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:01:15 am »

By the way, is it possible to specify what you want to search for? Or do you decide by the world we are in? Because it would help greatly if one could.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 10:13:15 am »

By the way, is it possible to specify what you want to search for? Or do you decide by the world we are in? Because it would help greatly if one could.

Gathering is mostly random, You have an idea what you can find in each world, based on the world difficulty roll and my descriptions of it. Once you actually choose to gather, I do the rolls and then make something up that is appropriate.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 02:20:27 pm »

I'm in.

Name: Aristothenes
Type: Engineer/Inventor

Gather some metal, preferably something very conductive like silver. Failing that, craft three round cylinders out of the group wood, one of the cylinders having a hendle at the end to turn the cylinder should it be attached to something.

Also, what technology level is this (so we know our customers), and what tools do we have for crafting?

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 02:26:29 pm »

I'm sure you have to make the tools first.

This seems mildly interesting.

Name:Elias
Type: Peasant

Gather anything and place it in the group inventory.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:56:03 pm »

I'm in.

Name: Aristothenes
Type: Engineer/Inventor

Gather some metal, preferably something very conductive like silver. Failing that, craft three round cylinders out of the group wood, one of the cylinders having a hendle at the end to turn the cylinder should it be attached to something.

Also, what technology level is this (so we know our customers), and what tools do we have for crafting?

Technology level is the level of the Gods. ;) There are no restrictions. Also, I assume you want a crafter type? As inventor/engineer isn't one of the 4 choices. Tools are upgrades, totally not needed, but can be useful.

also Gathering is random like I posted a bit before, you have to be creative with what you find, or just keep gathering until you find something of specific use. I'll go with your 2nd action for this turn. You have until I finish the rolls here in an hour or so to change your action/character type if needed.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 0, World 1, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 05:05:19 pm »

World Difficulty: 84. Outside the viewport you see a desert canyon, small speckled cactus looking things dot green rock cliffs with a dark mauve sun.

group storage:

thunderclan:
Rashilul:
Kinesen:
Grek:
lordnincompoop:
Phantom:

Gather, placing what I find in the group inventory
Attempt: 32
The strange sun and barren cliffs don't produce anything of worth. You spend the day searching to no avail.
+32 gather skill exp.

Craft a small model of the ship using one piece of wood and place it in group storage.
Attempt: 7(+20) = 27
You claim one of the oak logs from storage and begin to channel your powers into it. The ship is roughly turtle shaped, with a huge circular storage in the center for The Smith and the other sleeping creators, while the head is your work area. The fins are more rocket shaped attached to the lower half, but are silent and do not move. At least this is what you tried to make from the wood, your attempt boosted by your still averts a total failure, and you end up with a small slightly warped oak log that can be used again.
+27 woodsculpting

Gather. Place what I find in my inventory.
attempt: 72+20= 92
quality: 74, 59
amount: 29-74=1, 34-59=1
The strange sun and barren landscape are no trouble for your gathering skills, dashing out of the portal into the new world, you rush past the others searching and heading straight for a shadowed part of the canyon that you can tell holds a small cave system. A quick search yields two things, a rather large, and upset bright blue giant scorpion, and several crystal eggs behind it. With a quick burst of power you blast the scorpion. Grabbing both the corpse and one of the eggs you dart from the cave back to the portal. Behind you hear scratches that sound like other scorpions, and thank the Smith that you only had to deal with the one.
+92 gather experience
+ blue scorpion corpse about 1m long (5 usable pieces of blue chitin, two red compound eyes on stalks, 1 gallon red ichor, 2 large blue scorpion pincers, 1 large red scorpion stinger)
+ crystal egg (hefty orb of semi transparent white crystal)
Note: group items like the corpse only stay a single group item until one of the parts are used. Then it is assumed that you disect the item for parts, leaving the ones you didn't use or mention specifically in the group inventory.

Action: Gather the sound that a tumbleweed makes when noone is around to hear it tumble.
attempt: 100 :o
quality: 58,27
quantity: 100-58= 42,7-27=1
You feel a great affinity towards this landscape. Walking a few meters from the portal you stop and sit cross legged on a small slab of green rock. Concentrating, the very air around you begins to thicken and become a heavy purple fog. Reaching into your supply bag you pull out a good sized jar, and scoop the fog into it. The jar being collection equipment was found in the clothing locker just inside the ship, and you've put it to good use. Storing this back in your bag, you set off across the landscape and manage to gather several needles from tumbleweed type plants.
+100 gather exp(~levelup!!~)
+ 1 gather equipment
+ 1 jar of condensed purple air
+ 21 small yellow needles.
(by default if you do not say, items obtained go into your personal inventory if there is room, if not I choose what goes into group, muahahah)

craft three round cylinders out of the group wood, one of the cylinders having a hendle at the end to turn the cylinder should it be attached to something.
attempt: 94+20 = 114
quality: 63
base influence: 45+63= 108
Collecting one of the logs from the group inventory, you channel power into it, deftly sheering off bark and rounding it out. Applying more concentration, you manage to shape a small handle out of the end.
+228 woodworking exp! (~leveup!!!~)
+216 crafting influence!
+ wooden cylinder with wooden handle. !base influence: 108!
+ handful of sawdust and bark shavings.
Note: good criticals give you double exp and influence on crafting, and remember, only one item may be crafted at a time. So gave you the cylinder with the handle.

Gather anything and place it in the group inventory.
attempt: 82
quality: 16
quantity: 56-16=40
Setting out from the ship, you walk for a bit, scanning the green rock for any sizeable chunks to bring back. You find a vein of something metalic in the rock, with a lighter lime color and metallic sheen, encasing your hands in some of your power, you are able to scoop out a few sizeable raw chunks, along with some of the green stone.
+82 gather exp
+ 10 raw lime metal and green rock chunks.(group)

Well that was quite interesting, so many criticals, and all of them on the good end. We did have one critical fail, but the talent bonus saved you. ;) We will have to see if luck is on your side within the next few turns.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 1, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 05:13:55 pm »

Craft a pan flute out of the warped block of wood and place it into personal inventory.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 05:23:57 pm »

Gather. This time I'm looking for gems.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 05:29:21 pm »

Attempt to make a Piccolo out of some wood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45