Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 45

Author Topic: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)  (Read 71550 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 7, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #270 on: January 18, 2010, 01:41:53 pm »

Like albinos?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 18, 2010, 02:22:27 pm »

Attach the laser to the crab's back and connect it to thre brain so that it functions just like a limb and the crab can use it instictively and on command.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #272 on: January 18, 2010, 05:43:24 pm »

Gather. I'll put everything except for an unit of plasma, a bokken, the rainbow shell and the shield.

I want to gather instead of crafting. Hope I made it in time.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 18, 2010, 07:57:18 pm »

Gather. I'll put everything except for an unit of plasma, a bokken, the rainbow shell and the shield.

I want to gather instead of crafting. Hope I made it in time.

You made it. :) Starting up the rolls now.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 18, 2010, 10:21:17 pm »

World Difficulty:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

group storage:

thunderclan:

Rashilul:

Kinesen:

lordnincompoop:

Phantom:

RAM:

Waiting list:
hibernation:

Go tame some wolves. Or Bears. Also cut down trees with the chainsaw.
attempt: 85+3=88(-10 for specifics)= 78
quality: 91
quantity: 36-91=1
Heading out into the wilderness, you set your sights on capturing some animals. It's only a few hours before you find what seems to be a den of some sort. Cloaking yourself in your powers to keep undetected you sneak inside. The sleeping black bear mother is quite large for her species. And beside her sleep three tiny cubs. Carefully extending your powers you delve into the mind of the mother bear, effectively taming her. She wakes up and you carefully lower your cloak and feed her some berries from outside. You lead her back to the ship, with the three cubs following behind.
+78 gather exp(~Levelup!~)
+ 1 tame black bear mother(3 units of black bear organs, 25 units of black bear meat, 10 units black bear fat, 15 units black bear blood, 2 black bear eyes, 42 black bear teeth(4 canines, 12 incisors, 26 molars), black bear skin, 20 black bear bones, 16 black bear claws, 1 black bear skull)
+ 3 black bear cubs(1 units of black bear organs, 10 units of black bear meat, 3 units black bear fat, 5 units black bear blood, 2 black bear cub eyes, 42 black bear cub teeth(4 canines, 12 incisors, 26 molars), black bear cub skin, 20 black bear cub bones, 16 black bear cub claws, 1 black bear cub skull)

Leave my yen, chromium block and gravel in group storage then go out in search of metal or ore to Gather
attempt: 97+3=100(-5 specifics)= 95
quality: 49, 58
quantity: 42, 79
Putting your items in storage, you head out into the forest, with your mindset on finding some metal. Luckily for you the area is known for it's copper deposits, and before long, you find one that your powers tell you still contains a large vein of untapped copper. Reaching out with your powers you sunder the earth, pulling up a huge chunk of copper and tossing soil, trees, mud, rock and anything else that gets in your way aside. In the end you return with the full vein of copper. An immense 121 useable units of the stuff.
+95 gather exp(~Levelup!~)
+121 units of pure copper ore

Get some crabs to hatch
attempt: 79+20=99
quality: 7
base influence: 7+7=14
You put some of your powers to use trying to hatch your newly made crab eggs. The unhealthy creatures don't make for very good subjects, but for every one you loose there are a few more. In the end, three live baby crab spawn are born with their bright neon-red shells still glistening. They crawl weakly and unsteadily around the workspace, but they are alive, for now.
+198 Enhanced Incubation exp(~Levelup!~)
+28 crafting influence
+3 neon-red crab spawn(alive)(1 piece of tiny neon-red chitin, 2oz ichor, 1oz crab offal, 3oz crab meat, 2 miniscule neon-red crab claws, 2 tiny neon crab eyes, 8 miniture neon-red crab legs)  !base influence:14!

I once again attempt to craft by weaving two of the plasmas into stable cloth.
attempt: 83+20=103
quality: 26
base influence: 51+26=77
After a break and some reflection, you return to making your starcloth. Forming your powers into giant rollers, you start by flattening and stretching the plasma. Like a massive glowing pasta maker you put your plasma dough through again and again until you have two impossibly thin, very long strips of plasma. You then take the star material and weave it over and around itself until you have a large amount(1d10=7) about 7 units of useable starcloth. Deciding you only need half of the material, you put three units into group storage and keep four for your own creations.
+206 Plasmacrafting exp(~Levelup!~)
+154 crafting influence
+ 7 units of woven starcloth !base influence:77!

Attach the laser to the crab's back and connect it to thre brain so that it functions just like a limb and the crab can use it instictively and on command.
attempt: 10+20+1=31
Trying your hand at a bit more cybernetic implantation, you consider your crab. More specifically the crab's 'brain'. Crustations arn't the smartest creature on earth and they have a very simplistic nervous system. It's going to take a bit more study and understanding until you can connect the laser to the creature's body effectively.
+31 cybernetics exp(~Levelup!~)

attempt: 52+20+4=76
quality: 01 :o
quantity: 36-1=35
Emptying some of your inventory to group storage, you ponder your next action. The forest beckons and you give in to the gatherer impulses. Thinking simple is better than fancy, you begin to dig. After a few hours of grabbing chunks of the ground, you have a fair amount of soil, weeds, and low lying ferns. You bring your mini forest floor pieces back to the ship, feeling proud of yourself.
+76 gather exp(~Levelup!~)
+ lumps of forest floor(about 20 units of dark peat soil, 5 units of mixed sand, 5 smoothed lake superior pebbles, 3 units of dead plantlife and leaves, and 2 living weed(thistle), 1 living fern(small and rather unhealthy looking)

And there we go. :)  Only one failure with Nincompoop's laser crab, but even he leveled his skill. 

Hope people don't mind the whole 'unit' system I've been using for simplicity's sake. Hard to put a value to gallons and hunks, and piles and chunks. So been trying to put 'unit' pieces that 1 unit is the minimum that can be used to make 1 item with a craft.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 2, World 7, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #275 on: January 18, 2010, 10:45:57 pm »

(Lots of nice metal to work with, That will help. I am really liking this world :))

I'll go search the lake for things to Gather

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 18, 2010, 11:20:39 pm »

Break open a sparkling yellow whale bone and feed the crabs.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:25 pm »

Good.
Now go tame some wolves.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2010, 05:18:55 am »

Gather. I try to gather some wildlife for my forest.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2010, 06:57:18 am »

I take the orange-sun plasma and the chromium

I use the chromium to craft a hollow sphere composed of heavy chromium bars, about 20 centimetres in diameter, then put all the leftover chromium into group storage.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2010, 02:06:41 pm »

Chop a piece off the steel i-beam (so that it retains its I-beamness, but is shorter)and integrate it into the crab exoskeleton so it becomes a tough and durable steel-chitin plate armor-like body. If possible do it in such a way that it comes out with a shiny finish.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 19, 2010, 09:18:44 pm »

World Difficulty:

group storage:

thunderclan:

Rashilul:

Kinesen:

lordnincompoop:

Phantom:

RAM:

Waiting list:
hibernation:

I'll go search the lake for things to Gather
attempt: 2+4=6
You head out into the wilderness with the intent on scouring the lake for something usable. The waters are crystal clear further away from the shore, a striking deep blue. And cold, very very cold. The chilled water seems to turn you around, and you forget what direction the portal back to the ship is, leaving you stranded as the sun goes down.
+6 gather exp
!Lost! no craft actions next turn.

Break open a sparkling yellow whale bone and feed the crabs.
attempt: 46+20-20(difficulty of getting crab food from fossils)=46
You claim one of the fossilized whale bones from the ocean world, and ponder making crab feed from it. However, while the marrow of a bone might have given some semblance of nutrients, these bones have long since turned to stone. Grinding a stone you get gravel and sand, not exactly tasty crab treats.
+46 biochemist exp
(also made a note that the bones were fossils on the short description in storage, I did mention they were fossils just didn't note it before. It's not impossible to make crab food from it, but I'm going to stick with that -20, you'd have better luck with more organic materials I think)

Now go tame some wolves.
attempt: 60+4-10(specifics)=54
quality: 79
quantity: 20-79=1
The bears are nice, but the wild spirit of the dog calls to you. Searching a bit gives you the tell tale signs of their habatation in the area, a dead carabou corpse, and the sounds of howls in the distance. Pulling out your inner tracker you follow the traces of these animals northward. Eventually you come across the pack resting in an alcove of the forest. Just as they are about to move out, you extend your mental net, in the hopes of catching as many of the animals as possible. In the end you only end up with one however. Apparently the alpha female, slightly slower than the others in the pack due to her carrying unborn pups. She nuzzles your hand gently as you lead the white hudson bay wolf back to the ship.
+54 gather exp(~Levelup!~)
+ Pregnant White Hudson Bay Wolf(alive)
Note: not going to type out all the parts on these animals anymore, I will deal with that if anyone decides to disect one for pieces.

Gather. I try to gather some wildlife for my forest.
attempt: 90+20+5-5(specifics)=110
quality: 7, 25
quantity: 18-7=11, 6-25=1
The call of the wild seems to be strong in many of the creators today. You head out into the forest with the full intent on finding some animals to populate your 'forest'. You first come across a rather plump beaver waddling along with some branches in it's mouth. A little mental tweaking and the beaver follows you about under the coercion of your powers. On the way back you make out a very quiet yip sound, that is quickly cut off. Looking more directly you manage to uncover a small den of fox pups who look like they have been alone for quite some time now. Gathering the little pack of 6 pups in your arms, you carry them back to the ship, with the beaver waddling along behind.
+110 gather exp(~Levelup!~)
+ plump beaver(alive)
+ 6 fox pups(alive)

I take the orange-sun plasma and the chromium

I use the chromium to craft a hollow sphere composed of heavy chromium bars, about 20 centimetres in diameter, then put all the leftover chromium into group storage.
attempt: 32+20=52
quality: 80
base influence: 9+80=89
Melting the chromium into useable bars, you take two of them and reform them into your own purpose. The sphere you create by using your powers to hold the molten metal before you and blowing into the object forming the sphere like a piece of shiny metal bubblegum.
+52 metalcrafting exp
+89 crafting influence
+ 1 shiny chromium sphere(10cm r) !base influence: 89!

Chop a piece off the steel i-beam (so that it retains its I-beamness, but is shorter)and integrate it into the crab exoskeleton so it becomes a tough and durable steel-chitin plate armor-like body. If possible do it in such a way that it comes out with a shiny finish.
attempt: 78+20=98
quality: 51
base influence: 95+51+32(crab componant)=178
Sheering some of the metal off of the end of the I beam, you melt down the steel and prepare to create a robocrab... thing..  If a crab could scream, this one would be. The molten hot steel forcibly fuses with the chitin of the crab, and somehow the thing remains alive. In the end, the body of the crab becomes extremely strong, and with a little spit, polished to a bright sheen.
+196 bio enhancement exp(~Levelup!~)
+356 crafting influence
- battery operated electro-crab(alive){1-2 pieces of small neon-red chitin, 8oz ichor, 2oz crab offal, 20oz crab meat, 2 small crab neon-red claws, 2 beedy neon crab eyes, 8 neon-red crab legs(+1 AA battery each)} !base influence:64!
+ battery operated STEEL electro-crab(alive) !base influence:178!

One day left on this world. And a nicely growing zoo you have going here. :D

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 3, World 7, Cycle 1 )
« Reply #282 on: January 19, 2010, 09:21:59 pm »

Have the wolf give birth, then regularly feed it crab meat so It could produce milk for it's young. well it looks like there are no more crab meat. Then feed it the crab legs anyway, people eat crab legs anyway.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:47:16 pm by Phantom »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 19, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »

for those of you looking to feed your animals, note that actions like that default to 'craft pet food from whatever' And in the short term, feeding the animals isn't going to make much of a difference. To create from them, you'll still need to bend time some to make a noticable difference, if your breeding animals.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 19, 2010, 10:28:07 pm »

(Wow! Getting lost in a world this easy with my experience was completely unexpected. Better now then tomorrow though.)

I think I'm going to join the party and Gather some wildlife on the way (hopefully!) back to the ship.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 45