Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cages full of bodies!?!?  (Read 1252 times)

westside

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cages full of bodies!?!?
« on: December 29, 2009, 11:29:05 pm »

I'm pretty new to this game and I bought cages for the first time. I want to make cage traps out of them, but whenever the mechanic goes to load the trap it says that there's no cage available. So I checked my depot and it turns out they all have animal bodies in them. I don't know if he isn't using the cages because they're in the depot or because there's bodies in them, but please explain to me how to get rid of the bodies and move the cages because I want to get a zoo going. Thanks.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Cages full of bodies!?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:32:24 pm »

If you look in the cage, you can mark the corpse for dumping by pressing "d."

Providing that you have a garbage dump (designated with "i" from zones) and a dwarf with refuse hauling (enabled by default,) someone should come along and dump the corpse into the garbage dump (not refuse stockpile) and forbid it. You can un(f)orbid the corpse if you don't want it sitting there.

The corpse probably comes from traders. I occasionally find corpses in supposedly empty cages I get from traders, especially elves.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

westside

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:29:13 am »

One more thing. I've started hunting now and have about 4 deer corpses, but my butcher isn't butchering them. I keep giving him the order and it says "Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item" I have 4 (unrotten) dead deer 4 paces away in a stockpile and he still won't butcher them. Cool, now my hunter has killed about 10 deer and every time I get the message that he can't find a path into my fortress, even though he's outside and every other dwarf has absolutely no problem navigating through my fortress. Please please explain why both these things are happening.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:38:28 am by westside »

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 01:13:42 am »

For some stupid reason, corpses that are outside are almost always ignored when looking for things to butcher.  This is doubly annoying when you try to build a butcher shop outdoors, as those frequently fail to take jobs AT ALL, let alone allow you to butcher stuff that's outdoors.  The only real workarounds are to make sure that you always work with indoor butcher shops, and make sure that all animal corpses are stored underground.

As for the problem with hunters not seeming to get this idea of "not being miserable all the time", that's a side-effect of their outdoorsman (outdoorsdwarf?) behaviour.  You basically have to disable hunting to get them to stop acting like your fortress interior is verboten.
Sanity is for the weak.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:22:22 am »

This is an issue with your (o)rders. You need to go into your (o)rders menu, then go under (r)efuse, and selsect the option so that your dwarves can collect refuse from outside. Otherwise, your hunting will be for nil. This is what I have found, anyways.

I may have my menus mixed up, but it is under (o)rders, guaranteed. This should solve your problem.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:33:52 am »

What I usually notice is that butchers are the only lazy workers in the whole game. A stonecrafter can (and will) go down my deepest mining shaft just to take one single rock, while a butcher will not work if corpses aren't conveniently stored near their shop.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:34:49 am »

Speaking of butchery, your butcher will, eventually, butcher the corpses that are in the cages.  Bonus: The corpses in the cage won't rot.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:14:21 pm »

Corpses in cages are usually caused when an animal inside dies of old age or when a trader tries carrying (as an example) a heavily furred yak through a scorching hot desert.  The animals just die in their cages.  You'd think Elves would be a bit more concerned about such things.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 02:23:54 pm »

naw the elves had to kill the animal because it was gnawing on the wooden cage.
Nom nom nom

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 05:28:31 pm »

Corpses in cages are usually caused when an animal inside dies of old age or when a trader tries carrying (as an example) a heavily furred yak through a scorching hot desert.

I didn't know animals could die of heat (as long as it's without fire/magma), I know that caged animals die if trades venture through a very cold biome.